Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can't open/save AVI_IO settings in Win XP Pro

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
May 23, 2004 9:19:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

After installing Win XP Pro on my system I did a test run of AVI_IO.
Unfortunately and for reasons unknown to me I cannot open or save
capture settings in the program. AVI_IO displays fine but can't be
used without proper settings.
Any thoughts...?

Peter van der Sluis
Pijnacker, The Netherlands
mailto:screen66@xs4alldotnl
change 66 for 55
change dot for .
Anonymous
May 23, 2004 9:19:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Do you mean that when you set up your
capture hardware settings in AVI_IO they're all
back to defaults next time you start it?

That does NOT happen here -
I'm using AVI_IO under XP SP2 beta and
all my settings get saved just fine.

This sounds like a problem with not running AVI_IO
under an account with Administrator privileges.

"coolmercy" <send_mail_to_link@bottom.nl> wrote in message
news:l2g1b0h4l9pkk307dssmpb8g785jcpjp50@4ax.com...
> After installing Win XP Pro on my system I did a test run of AVI_IO.
> Unfortunately and for reasons unknown to me I cannot open or save
> capture settings in the program. AVI_IO displays fine but can't be
> used without proper settings.
> Any thoughts...?
>
> Peter van der Sluis
> Pijnacker, The Netherlands
> mailto:screen66@xs4alldotnl
> change 66 for 55
> change dot for .
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 12:56:21 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Sun, 23 May 2004 11:48:58 -0700, "V Green" <vancegrn@nowhere.net>
wrote:

>Do you mean that when you set up your
>capture hardware settings in AVI_IO they're all
>back to defaults next time you start it?

Not quite. AVI_IO does start with its default settings but after
hitting the record button it does show an error message telling me I
should set capture settings first. From the video settings menu I can
change format, sound and other options, save it to file but AVI_IO
doesn't open these .INI files while capture settings from the file
menu are left unchanged after loading the desired settings.
I tried to use my old Win98 .INI files but these don't work as well.


>
>This sounds like a problem with not running AVI_IO
>under an account with Administrator privileges.

I do have admin privileges so what should I change or set to make
AVI_IO accept the .INI files?

Peter van der Sluis
Pijnacker, The Netherlands

>
>"coolmercy" <send_mail_to_link@bottom.nl> wrote in message
>news:l2g1b0h4l9pkk307dssmpb8g785jcpjp50@4ax.com...
>> After installing Win XP Pro on my system I did a test run of AVI_IO.
>> Unfortunately and for reasons unknown to me I cannot open or save
>> capture settings in the program. AVI_IO displays fine but can't be
>> used without proper settings.
>> Any thoughts...?
>>
>> Peter van der Sluis
>> Pijnacker, The Netherlands
>> mailto:screen66@xs4alldotnl
>> change 66 for 55
>> change dot for .
>

mailto:screen66@xs4alldotnl
change 66 for 55
change dot for .
Related resources
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 2:50:37 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Mon, 24 May 2004 08:56:21 +0200, coolmercy
<send_mail_to_link@bottom.nl> wrote:

>On Sun, 23 May 2004 11:48:58 -0700, "V Green" <vancegrn@nowhere.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Do you mean that when you set up your
>>capture hardware settings in AVI_IO they're all
>>back to defaults next time you start it?
>
>Not quite. AVI_IO does start with its default settings but after
>hitting the record button it does show an error message telling me I
>should set capture settings first. From the video settings menu I can
>change format, sound and other options, save it to file but AVI_IO
>doesn't open these .INI files while capture settings from the file
>menu are left unchanged after loading the desired settings.
>I tried to use my old Win98 .INI files but these don't work as well.

This sounds to me like a knonw issue with the "save settings as"
function. I recommend to delete (or rename) the avi_io.ini file which
is located in the SAME directory as avi_io.exe and start all over
configuring it. Then, it would be important to know if all works if
you configure the settings and then capture. In other words it's
important to know wether it captures at all or if it's really related
to rereading the config out of the .ini file.

Markus
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 12:11:18 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Mon, 24 May 2004 10:50:37 +0200, Markus Zingg <m.zingg@nct.ch>
wrote:

>On Mon, 24 May 2004 08:56:21 +0200, coolmercy
><send_mail_to_link@bottom.nl> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 23 May 2004 11:48:58 -0700, "V Green" <vancegrn@nowhere.net>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Do you mean that when you set up your
>>>capture hardware settings in AVI_IO they're all
>>>back to defaults next time you start it?
>>
>>Not quite. AVI_IO does start with its default settings but after
>>hitting the record button it does show an error message telling me I
>>should set capture settings first. From the video settings menu I can
>>change format, sound and other options, save it to file but AVI_IO
>>doesn't open these .INI files while capture settings from the file
>>menu are left unchanged after loading the desired settings.
>>I tried to use my old Win98 .INI files but these don't work as well.
>
>This sounds to me like a knonw issue with the "save settings as"
>function. I recommend to delete (or rename) the avi_io.ini file which
>is located in the SAME directory as avi_io.exe and start all over
>configuring it. Then, it would be important to know if all works if
>you configure the settings and then capture. In other words it's
>important to know wether it captures at all or if it's really related
>to rereading the config out of the .ini file.
>
>Markus

Markus,

the solution you mentioned didn't work. In fact it was one of the
first things I tried to overcome the problem. It's going to take to
many words to describe all trial & error I met in trying getting
AVI_IO run on XP. Finally I solved it by removing the Hauppauge WDM
drivers from my system and replace them with the BTWincap driver from
Sourceforge. AVI_IO is now working fine, I can save my settings, the
only thing is that the program only runs in preview mode but I can
live with that.

Thanks & regards,

Peter van der Sluis
Pijnacker, The Netherlands
mailto:screen66@xs4alldotnl
change 66 for 55
change dot for .
!