Buffer overrun?

I'm getting this error when starting HL2DM. Just started recently. Same
error occurs with CS. Game will not load. HL2 SP works fine.

Error window text:
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Buffer overrun detected!
Program: C:\Valve\Steam\steam.exe

A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the the program's
internal state. The program cannot safely continue and must now be
terminated.

Upon trying a second time, I get a different error in a steam (dark green
with white text) window that says "Steam Error. The game is currently
unavailable. Please try again at another time."

Anyone else experienced this and have a solution?

SYSTEM SPECS:
MB: Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev. 2
CPU: Athlon XP 3200
RAM: 1 gig PC 3200
VIDEO: 6600 GT AGP
OS: XP Home w/SP2 - up to date

Bob

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 14:58:32 -0400, "rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net>
wrote:

> I'm getting this error when starting HL2DM. Just started recently. Same
>error occurs with CS. Game will not load. HL2 SP works fine.
>
>Error window text:
>Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
>
>Buffer overrun detected!
>Program: C:\Valve\Steam\steam.exe
>
>A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the the program's
>internal state. The program cannot safely continue and must now be
>terminated.

> Upon trying a second time, I get a different error in a steam (dark green
>with white text) window that says "Steam Error. The game is currently
>unavailable. Please try again at another time."
>
>Anyone else experienced this and have a solution?
>

>SYSTEM SPECS:
>MB: Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev. 2
>CPU: Athlon XP 3200
>RAM: 1 gig PC 3200
>VIDEO: 6600 GT AGP
>OS: XP Home w/SP2 - up to date
>
>Bob

validate your cache files.
it's telling you the program has been corrupted.
link is in the steam offline thread.

dr ratt
i'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, insanity & violence to anyone but they've always worked for me.

"dr ratt" <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 14:58:32 -0400, "rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm getting this error when starting HL2DM. Just started recently.
>> Same
>>error occurs with CS. Game will not load. HL2 SP works fine.
>>
>>Error window text:
>>=====================================================
>>Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
>>
>>Buffer overrun detected!
>>Program: C:\Valve\Steam\steam.exe
>>
>>A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the the program's
>>internal state. The program cannot safely continue and must now be
>>terminated.
>>
>>=====================================================
>>

>> Upon trying a second time, I get a different error in a steam (dark
>> green
>>with white text) window that says "Steam Error. The game is currently
>>unavailable. Please try again at another time."
>>
>>Anyone else experienced this and have a solution?
>>

>>SYSTEM SPECS:
>>MB: Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev. 2
>>CPU: Athlon XP 3200
>>RAM: 1 gig PC 3200
>>VIDEO: 6600 GT AGP
>>OS: XP Home w/SP2 - up to date
>>
>>Bob
>>

> validate your cache files.
> it's telling you the program has been corrupted.
> link is in the steam offline thread.
>
> dr ratt

Files validated. Still getting the same error.

Bob

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 16:34:51 -0400, "rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net>
wrote:

>Files validated. Still getting the same error.
>

>Bob

make sure steam is not running. delete clientregistry.blob in the
steam folder. restart steam & allow it to redownload, install &
configure itself.

> On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 16:34:51 -0400, "rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net>
> wrote:
>

>>Files validated. Still getting the same error.
>>

>>Bob
>>

> make sure steam is not running. delete clientregistry.blob in the
> steam folder. restart steam & allow it to redownload, install &
> configure itself.
>
> dr ratt

> i'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, insanity & violence to anyone but
> they've always worked for me.

OK - that one worked!. You da man, ratt. Thanks.

Bob

"rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net> wrote in message

> "dr ratt" <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 16:34:51 -0400, "rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>Files validated. Still getting the same error.
>>>

>>>Bob
>>>

>> make sure steam is not running. delete clientregistry.blob in the
>> steam folder. restart steam & allow it to redownload, install &
>> configure itself.
>>
>> dr ratt
>>
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> i'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, insanity & violence to anyone but
>> they've always worked for me.
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> OK - that one worked!. You da man, ratt. Thanks.
>

> Bob

Well, it worked for a while. Now the error has returned ;-(

Bob

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 12:11:04 -0400, "rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net>
wrote:

>"rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "dr ratt" <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> make sure steam is not running. delete clientregistry.blob in the
>>> steam folder. restart steam & allow it to redownload, install &
>>> configure itself.
>>>
>>> dr ratt
>>>
>>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> i'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, insanity & violence to anyone but
>>> they've always worked for me.
>>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> OK - that one worked!. You da man, ratt. Thanks.
>>

>> Bob
>
>Well, it worked for a while. Now the error has returned ;-(
>

>Bob

then something is regularly corrupting the steam files.
run memtest or prime95 overnight to check for iffy ram/cpu etc.
if the core components are fine then test your hdd with a utility from
the manufacturer.

dr ratt

the man who crosses me and leaves me alive.
he understands nothing about tuco.
nothing.

TRENDING THREADS