Memory Card Problem

I have a 32mb PNY CF card. I was goofing off with it last night and
stuck it in my card reader. I formatted it NTFS with compression. Then,
I uncompressed it, which brought it down to a measly 23.3mb capacity for
some reason.

I looked at it in the Windows disk manager, and everything about Windows
reads this now as a 23.3mb card. Even though previously it read it at
its full 31.9mb.

Any help? =(

Yours, Fringe4

NTFS would make it useless by any camera I have heard of. Reformat the
stupid thing properly and in the camera.

"Fringe4" <leomarth@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
> I have a 32mb PNY CF card. I was goofing off with it last night and
> stuck it in my card reader. I formatted it NTFS with compression. Then,
> I uncompressed it, which brought it down to a measly 23.3mb capacity for
> some reason.
>
> I looked at it in the Windows disk manager, and everything about Windows
> reads this now as a 23.3mb card. Even though previously it read it at
> its full 31.9mb.
>
> Any help? =(
>
> Yours, Fringe4

heh. The camera no longer works. It hasn't worked for about a year now.
But, I was looking at using the card for a pendrive adapter I bought. It
plugs into a usb port like any other pendrive, and then you plug CF
cards into it. That way you upgrade cheap without having to buy a whole
new pendrive each time.

And I have reformatted it several times in FAT and FAT32 format. It
hasn't helped.

Yours, Fringe4

Gymy Bob wrote:
> NTFS would make it useless by any camera I have heard of. Reformat the
> stupid thing properly and in the camera.
>
> "Fringe4" <leomarth@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
>
>>I have a 32mb PNY CF card. I was goofing off with it last night and
>>stuck it in my card reader. I formatted it NTFS with compression. Then,
>>I uncompressed it, which brought it down to a measly 23.3mb capacity for
>>some reason.
>>
>>I looked at it in the Windows disk manager, and everything about Windows
>>reads this now as a 23.3mb card. Even though previously it read it at
>>its full 31.9mb.
>>
>>Any help? =(
>>
>>Yours, Fringe4

Well, I've always read that you should never format your card unless
absolutely necessary and only in the camera, never the computer.

My 32 meg card is a year old and has never been formatted and I will
not format it unless it quits working.

thanks for posting. You provided some very useful info.

PJ

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 02:10:30 GMT, Fringe4 <leomarth@dodgeit.com>
wrote:
>heh. The camera no longer works. It hasn't worked for about a year now.
>But, I was looking at using the card for a pendrive adapter I bought. It
>plugs into a usb port like any other pendrive, and then you plug CF
>cards into it. That way you upgrade cheap without having to buy a whole
>new pendrive each time.
>
>And I have reformatted it several times in FAT and FAT32 format. It
>hasn't helped.
>
>Yours, Fringe4
>
>Gymy Bob wrote:
>> NTFS would make it useless by any camera I have heard of. Reformat the
>> stupid thing properly and in the camera.
>>
>> "Fringe4" <leomarth@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I have a 32mb PNY CF card. I was goofing off with it last night and
>>>stuck it in my card reader. I formatted it NTFS with compression. Then,
>>>I uncompressed it, which brought it down to a measly 23.3mb capacity for
>>>some reason.
>>>
>>>I looked at it in the Windows disk manager, and everything about Windows
>>>reads this now as a 23.3mb card. Even though previously it read it at
>>>its full 31.9mb.
>>>
>>>Any help? =(
>>>
>>>Yours, Fringe4

You need to do a low level format to bring the card back to its original
condition.
This page tells about fixing the loss of the Panoramic function in Olympic
digital cameras, the principal is the same.

The first thing you need is smprep.exe program with your card reader to do a
low level format.
The card needs to be low level formatted as FAT 12.

http://www.marshost.com/~rashmun/olympusfix.htm

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Fringe4 wrote:

> I have a 32mb PNY CF card. I was goofing off with it last night and
> stuck it in my card reader. I formatted it NTFS with compression. Then,
> I uncompressed it, which brought it down to a measly 23.3mb capacity for
> some reason.
>
> I looked at it in the Windows disk manager, and everything about Windows
> reads this now as a 23.3mb card. Even though previously it read it at
> its full 31.9mb.
>
> Any help? =(
>
> Yours, Fringe4
Re format it in your camera and it should be fine

Do what Joe and PJ said. Always format in the camera.