i got vid...once!

i can't figure this one out...i've captured once...from a dv vid cam thru
firewire...now no preview/sometimes not recognized/no capture at
all/error-wdm drivers or no start...yet all controls work/most of the time
the cam is recognised and moviemaker(i've tried them all) goes thru all the
motions...updateing hasn't helped?!
--
ASUS A7N8X Delux
2500+ Barton

    Onida Wrote:
    > i can't figure this one out...i've captured once...from a dv vid cam
    > thru
    > firewire...now no preview/sometimes not recognized/no capture at
    > all/error-wdm drivers or no start...yet all controls work/most of the
    > time
    > the cam is recognised and moviemaker(i've tried them all) goes thru all
    > the
    > motions...updateing hasn't helped?!
    > --
    > ASUS A7N8X Delux
    > 2500+ Barton
    > 512 ddr400
    > msi 5200td128 p.o.junk
    > 40g @ 7200
    > M.S.G. injected- ha!

    Hi Onida,
    Ready for some reading on your post? :rolleyes:

    'Firewire' (http://tinyurl.com/3rolw)

    'IEEE' (http://tinyurl.com/5k3ey)

    Since SP2 there are known but secret issues with firewire. If you do a
    search for firewire on this forum you get 'Search'
    (http://pcbanter.net/search.php?searchid=40003) maybe the problems that
    other people had will help you out.
    Keep this thread alive & we'll see what shakes out. If all else fails I
    may have a fix for you.
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    Big thanx for responding! I'll CQ the links you provided and get back to
    you...while i have searched these before, i've only become frustrated as some
    of the posts are over my head.
    Thanx again Treeman!

    "Treeman" wrote:

    > Onida Wrote:
    > > i can't figure this one out...i've captured once...from a dv vid cam
    > > thru
    > > firewire...now no preview/sometimes not recognized/no capture at
    > > all/error-wdm drivers or no start...yet all controls work/most of the
    > > time
    > > the cam is recognised and moviemaker(i've tried them all) goes thru all
    > > the
    > > motions...updateing hasn't helped?!
    > > --
    > > ASUS A7N8X Delux
    > > 2500+ Barton
    > > 512 ddr400
    > > msi 5200td128 p.o.junk
    > > 40g @ 7200
    > > M.S.G. injected- ha!
    >
    > Hi Onida,
    > Ready for some reading on your post? :rolleyes:
    >
    > 'Firewire' (http://tinyurl.com/3rolw)
    >
    > 'IEEE' (http://tinyurl.com/5k3ey)
    >
    > Since SP2 there are known but secret issues with firewire. If you do a
    > search for firewire on this forum you get 'Search'
    > (http://pcbanter.net/search.php?searchid=40003) maybe the problems that
    > other people had will help you out.
    > Keep this thread alive & we'll see what shakes out. If all else fails I
    > may have a fix for you.
    > Treeman
    >

    > --
    > Treeman

    i see the reason for the rolling eyes in your response!...that was alot of
    reading!...alot of fiddleing/ect...long and short of it is that the nvidia
    wdm video capture driver is bad...i dl the file from nvidia and tried to
    update...i get a message that the driver isn't signed, then i'm told the
    device has stopped...code 10...winupdate has a nvidia audio update that won't
    install (there are no probs with audio, so i haven't bothered), but no wdm
    file at all...this is getting confusing...hope you have majic dust or
    something:)
    -oni

    --
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    ok, so i did as you described, and checked the "i don't need no stinkin
    signed drivers" box...uninstalled the wdm vid capt driver...tried to
    reinstall nvidia's driver...and yes, i think they're trying to take over the
    world!:)...i get trouble with install/code 10...so i tried the asus
    version...same result!

    "Treeman" wrote:

    > I get a message that the driver isn't signed.[/QUOTE Wrote:
    > >
    > > Signed drivers, we don't need no stinking signed drivers!
    > > Go to Device Manager in Control Panel, Hardware tab, see the box that
    > > say's
    > > Driver Signing? Click on that and check "Ignore- Just install the
    > > software and don't ask for my approval!"
    > > Heck, check the box that makes it system-wide while you're at it.
    > > That really get's the SP2; let's lock down everything folks upset.
    > > Now try installing your nvidia capture drivers.
    > > Unless you think it's really spyware from nvidia.
    > > Now, that's why I roll my eyes at you! :rolleyes:
    > > Best,
    > > Treeman
    >

    > --
    > Treeman

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    --
    Treeman
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    no, there's a ton of posts on that...unfortunatly, i'm still at a
    loss...uninstall sp2...sure seems like the culprit...i tried your suggestions
    with no victory...that damed exclamation mark!code 10...code10...ARRRRG!

    "Treeman" wrote:

    > Onida[/QUOTE Wrote:
    > >

    > > Did you uninstall all old graphics drivers, before you tried to put the
    > > new ones in? Uninstall the drivers from safe mode-F8
    > > Before installing new drivers make sure you uninstall all NVIDIA
    > > display drivers from the Windows Control Panel. Browse to the Start
    > > Menu Windows Control Panel Add/Remove Programs and search for "NVIDIA
    > > Windows Display Drivers" or "NVIDIA Display Drivers" and select remove.
    > > Reboot, Install the saved updated drivers in device manager. Don't
    > > search the internet.
    > > Do not run virus protection software in the background while installing
    > > the drivers. This prevents the driver from configuring itself properly.
    > >
    > > Lot's of posts on this one Oni!
    > > Treeman
    >

    > --
    > Treeman

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    well, i gotta say that sp2 is a peice of junk...after reading a bunch of
    posts by yourself and some others, i decided as a last resort to uninstall
    sp2...wouldn't you know it, my cam worked perfectly...i did nothing elese but
    uninstall...which proves to me that sp2 has been a thorn in my side since
    installing it...makes me mad that microsoft hasn't admitted to this obvious
    prob, nor correct thier mistake...so much for microsoft support...i still
    haven't got an answer from them, yet you have found the time to reply how
    many times!...arrrrg...so i thank YOU, not microsoft, for all your help...i
    appreciate the time you've taken...and if i can help you 1 day, it's there
    for the askin....maybe i can make you a piece of furniture, if you're ever in
    edmonton...lol...thanks again
    Onida

    "Treeman" wrote:

    > Onida[/QUOTE Wrote:
    > >

    > > Did you uninstall all old graphics drivers, before you tried to put the
    > > new ones in? Uninstall the drivers from safe mode-F8
    > > Before installing new drivers make sure you uninstall all NVIDIA
    > > display drivers from the Windows Control Panel. Browse to the Start
    > > Menu Windows Control Panel Add/Remove Programs and search for "NVIDIA
    > > Windows Display Drivers" or "NVIDIA Display Drivers" and select remove.
    > > Reboot, Install the saved updated drivers in device manager. Don't
    > > search the internet.
    > > Do not run virus protection software in the background while installing
    > > the drivers. This prevents the driver from configuring itself properly.
    > >
    > > Lot's of posts on this one Oni!
    > > Treeman
    >

    > --
    > Treeman

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    --
    Treeman
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Onida Wrote:
    > well, i gotta say that sp2 is a peice of junk...after reading a bunch
    > of
    > posts by yourself and some others, i decided as a last resort to
    > uninstall
    > sp2...wouldn't you know it, my cam worked perfectly...i did nothing
    > elese but
    > uninstall...which proves to me that sp2 has been a thorn in my side
    > since
    > installing it...makes me mad that microsoft hasn't admitted to this
    > obvious
    > prob, nor correct thier mistake...so much for microsoft support...i
    > still
    > haven't got an answer from them, yet you have found the time to reply
    > how
    > many times!...arrrrg...so i thank YOU, not microsoft, for all your
    > help...i
    > appreciate the time you've taken...and if i can help you 1 day, it's
    > there
    > for the askin....maybe i can make you a piece of furniture, if you're
    > ever in
    > edmonton...lol...thanks again
    > Onida
    No problemo Onida,
    As far as a piece of furniture a walking stick would be nice! (grin)
    Yes, as far as anyone getting a handle on this firewire problem, you
    have to understand that ieee1394 aka; firewire was Apple Computers
    choice of bus for digital transfer and rendering. There was a little
    squabble over the cost of licensing out to the PC platform in the past.
    Now MS is making like it never heard of the standard, and is having it's
    customers deal with the past.
    Apple computers uses standardized code & harware parts _only_ on their
    computers, that way they know it will always work.
    And no, I don't have an Apple computer, but Xandros 3 (Linux) is
    looking better all the time! 'Xandros' (http://www.xandros.com/)
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman