Convert Laserdisc to DVD

Hi,

I have an NTSC laserdisc that I wish to convert to a DVD. I have access to
a G5 Mac with Final Cut Pro 4 editing system, and a Canopus ADVC analog to
DV capture box.

My question is, once I have the LaserDisc captured as an NTSC DV file, do
Macs come standard with an MPEG2 encoder to convert this to a DVD compliant
file, so that I can burn an NTSC DVD?

Does anyone have a link for instructions on how to do this. The LaserDisc
is a film that is 109 minutes long, what resolution and settings do I need
to use to ensure it will fit on a single layer DVD?

Thank you,

Simon Howson

"Simon Howson" <simonhowson@NOSPAMyahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have an NTSC laserdisc that I wish to convert to a DVD. I have access
> a G5 Mac with Final Cut Pro 4 editing system, and a Canopus ADVC analog to
> DV capture box.
>
> My question is, once I have the LaserDisc captured as an NTSC DV file, do
> Macs come standard with an MPEG2 encoder to convert this to a DVD
compliant
> file, so that I can burn an NTSC DVD?
>
> Does anyone have a link for instructions on how to do this. The LaserDisc
> is a film that is 109 minutes long, what resolution and settings do I need
> to use to ensure it will fit on a single layer DVD?

The answer to all your questions (and likely others you haven't
thought of yet) can likely be found at http://www.videohelp.com/

Simon Howson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an NTSC laserdisc that I wish to convert to a DVD. I have access to
> a G5 Mac with Final Cut Pro 4 editing system, and a Canopus ADVC analog to
> DV capture box.

That will do it. Make sure you have plenty of hard drive space.

> My question is, once I have the LaserDisc captured as an NTSC DV file, do
> Macs come standard with an MPEG2 encoder to convert this to a DVD compliant
> file, so that I can burn an NTSC DVD?

Final Cut Pro comes with something called Compressor:
http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/compressor.html

With this you can click on the "export to compressor", and choose how
you like your video using the presets. Choose something like "High
Quality Mpeg-2". You will end up with a .m2v and an .aiff file.

Of course, creating the file is only half the battle. Next you'll have
to 'design' the DVD. Use iDVD, a very simply powerful DVD authoring
program with tons of templates, or DVD Studio Pro, a very powerful
professional DVD creation software. Import in all your assets such as
the .m2v files, .aiff files, or .ac3 files (for Dolby Digital), build a
structure for your menu system (even if it's as simple as playing once
the DVD is inserted) it still has to be told to do that. Then choose
build and burn. Both software's will build all the necessary
directories and files (VOB,VTS,ect) needed for a DVD, and then burn the
DVD for you.

> Does anyone have a link for instructions on how to do this. The LaserDisc
> is a film that is 109 minutes long, what resolution and settings do I need
> to use to ensure it will fit on a single layer DVD?

Instructions can be in many places, such as Goggle. However, both FCP,
and DVDSP have very large .pdf manuals on the disk that it came with. I
suggest starting here. There is no simple checklist.

As for how much "time" you can get on a DVD, there are a number of
sources for calculating bitrate vs. space vs. time on the internet.
However, 109 minutes should fit. You have to keep in mind menus and
such too. DVDSP has a little gage up top, tells you how much 'space'
your currently using up on a DVD-5.

Tip: using Dolby Digital sound as apposed to PCM uncompressed can save a
huge section of disk space. This leaves more room for Video images.

Hope this helps. There's nothing like jumping into it to learn.

-Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks very much for your reply, this will be very helpful!

Take care,

Simon Howson

"Richard Ragon" <bsema04NOSPAM@hanaho.com> wrote in message
> Simon Howson wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an NTSC laserdisc that I wish to convert to a DVD. I have access
> > a G5 Mac with Final Cut Pro 4 editing system, and a Canopus ADVC analog
> > DV capture box.
>
> That will do it. Make sure you have plenty of hard drive space.
>
> > My question is, once I have the LaserDisc captured as an NTSC DV file,
do
> > Macs come standard with an MPEG2 encoder to convert this to a DVD
compliant
> > file, so that I can burn an NTSC DVD?
>
> Final Cut Pro comes with something called Compressor:
> http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/compressor.html
>
> With this you can click on the "export to compressor", and choose how
> you like your video using the presets. Choose something like "High
> Quality Mpeg-2". You will end up with a .m2v and an .aiff file.
>
> Of course, creating the file is only half the battle. Next you'll have
> to 'design' the DVD. Use iDVD, a very simply powerful DVD authoring
> program with tons of templates, or DVD Studio Pro, a very powerful
> professional DVD creation software. Import in all your assets such as
> the .m2v files, .aiff files, or .ac3 files (for Dolby Digital), build a
> structure for your menu system (even if it's as simple as playing once
> the DVD is inserted) it still has to be told to do that. Then choose
> build and burn. Both software's will build all the necessary
> directories and files (VOB,VTS,ect) needed for a DVD, and then burn the
> DVD for you.
>
> > Does anyone have a link for instructions on how to do this. The
LaserDisc
> > is a film that is 109 minutes long, what resolution and settings do I
need
> > to use to ensure it will fit on a single layer DVD?
>
> Instructions can be in many places, such as Goggle. However, both FCP,
> and DVDSP have very large .pdf manuals on the disk that it came with. I
> suggest starting here. There is no simple checklist.
>
> As for how much "time" you can get on a DVD, there are a number of
> sources for calculating bitrate vs. space vs. time on the internet.
> However, 109 minutes should fit. You have to keep in mind menus and
> such too. DVDSP has a little gage up top, tells you how much 'space'
> your currently using up on a DVD-5.
>
> Tip: using Dolby Digital sound as apposed to PCM uncompressed can save a
> huge section of disk space. This leaves more room for Video images.
>
> Hope this helps. There's nothing like jumping into it to learn.
>
> -Richard

tkmops

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Thanks for this informative post. I have 100's of lasers that I would like to convert, how do I capture my LaserDiscs as an NTSC DV file? Do I need to buy a analog to DV video card, or external device? My computer(2 yrs old) doesn't have any video input jacks on the back, only a audio mini-jack, so I'm guessing that I'll have to buy a video card or box. And once I get the video into my PC, are there tutorials on how to convert those files to H264 HD mkv files?