Question about PAL to NTSC conversion in TMPGEnc

I've been using TMPGEnc to convert MPG's from PAL to NTSC format but
haven't been completely happy with the resultant video. The problem
is that the conversion takes the 288 horizontal lines down to 256 by
chopping some from the top and bottom of the image. But I don't want
to lose that video information and don't mind squashing the aspect
ratio a bit to keep it. I've tried using every output format (Full,
Center, etc.) but can't seem to accomplish this. Any ideas?

STLRod <spammer@ureach.com> wrote:
: I've been using TMPGEnc to convert MPG's from PAL to NTSC format but
: haven't been completely happy with the resultant video. The problem
: is that the conversion takes the 288 horizontal lines down to 256 by
: chopping some from the top and bottom of the image. But I don't want
: to lose that video information and don't mind squashing the aspect
: ratio a bit to keep it. I've tried using every output format (Full,
: Center, etc.) but can't seem to accomplish this. Any ideas?

Have you tried AVISynth?

Try this script:

# LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\SmoothDeinterlacer.dll")
DirectShowSource("c:\folder\yourclip.mpg")
SeparateFields()
Weave()
# comment the below line if field order is wrong
ComplementParity()
SmoothDeinterlace(doublerate=true)
LanczosResize(704,480)
ChangeFPS(59.94)
SeparateFields()
SelectEvery(4,1,2)
Weave()
ConvertToRGB(interlaced=true)

If the field order is wrong, try SelectEvery(4,0,3) instead of (4,1,2).

--Leonid