Sign in with
Your question

cookies serverside? (done in new s/w released)

Last response: in Forum Feedback
November 14, 2005 1:22:23 AM

Steve, it's really difficult with the way cookies are setup now. Two things are happening. First, since I use the forum from home and work there is no consistancy and I have to sort through everything twice. Second, if I log out or my cookies get deleted everything resets again.

How much trouble is it to keep track of everthing serverside?
November 14, 2005 1:42:20 AM

Stop stealing my ideas! First the polls into Other and this!
November 14, 2005 1:50:50 AM

It is difficult, but I will think about ways that it can be done. The base s/w does not work as you state (altough I understand your requirements). This is not going to happen immediately, but I will try to figure out a solution. Patience.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 14, 2005 2:26:49 AM

*Meditates. Starts thinking about more ideas before Ned.*
November 14, 2005 3:17:24 AM

Maybe this is the same thing....but if i refrsh the community pages it refreshes the whole forum.

meaning if i am chatting in the other and i refresh a couple times to post there and see what threads are active....
When i go to hardware...there are NO new posts because all the refreshing from the "community" has overlapped into "hardware"

I think you should understand what i mean but i dont know....Its a pain to refresh a couple times in the other and then go to hardware and none of the posts have the "new post" symbol and yet i know there are new ones...i end up rereading a lof of stuff because i can't tell what is new and what isnt
November 14, 2005 4:42:14 AM

If that is what you see, then that is a BIG bug. I am going to look into that one.
November 14, 2005 4:52:37 AM

if i get home from work....check the other...reply to a couple things...refresh....then head to hardware...a lot of times i dont see new threads.
November 14, 2005 9:25:20 AM

That would be a pain Dh.

I notice something similar to what Pickxx said. One minute there were a lot of new post and then they were all gone and I didn’t open any of them. It seems to work OK now.

I had another problem. I wasn’t able to quote when I had cookies/ad blocker on medium in ZA, but its working fine now
November 14, 2005 11:40:39 AM

Quote:

Before? lol, I posted the serverside and poll requests days before! :mrgreen:
November 14, 2005 2:47:03 PM

Quote:
Maybe this is the same thing....but if i refrsh the community pages it refreshes the whole forum.

I cannot replicate that pickxx. What link did you click on to refresh the community pages, pls post the url here.
November 14, 2005 2:47:37 PM

Quote:

Before? lol, I posted the serverside and poll requests days before! :mrgreen:

Ned posted it quite a while back.
November 14, 2005 11:53:42 PM

Right. Sure. Like anyone is going to believe that. :mrgreen:
November 15, 2005 8:04:36 AM

perfect example.....I have never been in the CE forum before...i clicked on it and it said none of those threads are new to me....none
I have never been into the software section....and i know if i clicked on it...none of those would be new.

If everything is going tobe segrgated like this, shouldn't each section update as you enter that section?

if i am in the other for a couple hours without closing my browser, the hardware section will only say i have like 1-2 new threads....even though i know i have 200. its just that those 1-2 happened since my last refresh while i was in the other.

how i refresh....if i have the other forum open, i move my mouse over the icon on my browser that says 'Refresh" and i click it. Then it reloads the page and will update me with an orange graphic if a topic has been posted in since i last was in that thread/left and then came back to the forumz
November 15, 2005 3:17:20 PM

pickxx,

I will look into it. Thanks.

I believe the logic is 'show me new posts since last visit' which explains it all, but I have to look into it to be sure that is how the logic is setup in the s/w.

Scuba Steve (your copyright)
November 17, 2005 2:18:07 AM

Hey steve, can I request that this be at the top of the features list? The way it is now is fine, maybe, on one computer, but on more than one computer it is very difficult.
November 17, 2005 2:23:22 AM

It is already done with the new release.

The way it works is that now the last visit time is saved to user table, and not cookied. So if you go to another computer, it remembers last visit.

The orange/white status relate to posts since last visit, so status info does not need to be saved server side, since everything resets to 'last visit'.
November 17, 2005 1:21:22 PM

Is this why after responding in one thread this morning all of the things I hadn't read everywhere since yesterday afternoon in every section were suddenly marked as read? :( 
!