Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Running out of space on SSD

Last response: in Windows 7
December 29, 2010 11:45:13 AM

I have my SSD as my primary - o/s drive. I only have 5gb of free space left, but have a 120g secondary drive.

I was wondering if it would be possible for me to move larger files to the secondary drive (like my mozilla profiles folder) and replace the original file on my SSD with a shortcut that points to the file on the secondary drive. So that when the application attempts to open the files, the shortcut tells it to look on my secondary drive.

Would this work? I really don't want to mess with the registry.

-Alex

More about : running space ssd

a c 352 $ Windows 7
December 29, 2010 1:47:22 PM

Some tips to free space on the main drive. Set I.E temp files to 100mb or even less. Change Recycle Bin reserved space (usualy 10% by default), if you are fairly confident you don't need to revert to any old versions of patches, go into C:\Windows and delete all the files that start with $NtUninstall. Those are files patches keep for backup if you even need to uninstall them. In the many years I worked with computers, I think I needed to uninstall a patch maybe twice, so it's pretty safe to delete these. You can also move your My Documents to the other drive. Right-click on My Documents, select the new folder to move the contents to. Since your 120gig drive is probably a few years old, you may want to get an external drive for backups incase the drive failes.
Score
December 30, 2010 3:45:10 AM

I have multiple backups of my important stuff on web servers. I'm not terrible interested in gaining a few hundred megabytes.

I just want to know if it is possible to replace directories with shortcuts, and have applications reference them. Are there any issues with this approach?
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 352 $ Windows 7
December 30, 2010 12:59:15 PM

Application's can't read a shortcut to where the files are. You can re-install the applications on the secondary drive howerver, or be adventurous and look for their registry and config files and edit those manually. Some programs work fine if you just copy and plop them into a new location.
January 3, 2011 11:49:53 AM

Best answer selected by ampedal.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
January 3, 2011 11:32:54 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!