Need to add blank space in middle of timeline on Premiere

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 24, 2004 7:14:47 PM

I've used Premiere for a while but have never had to do this before! How
do I simply add about a minute in the middle of the timeline so that it
slides everything else evenly out of the way (a "ripple add" I guess)?

I've tried using the Slip tool as the instructions say, but I can only
seem to get one track to move rather than all of them. What am I doing
wrong? Thanks
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 7:14:48 PM

"Jim Patterson" <hangfire@arthur.avalon.net> wrote in message
news:p ine.HPP.3.96.1040524151145.14269A-100000@arthur.avalon.net...

> I've used Premiere for a while but have never had to do this before! How
> do I simply add about a minute in the middle of the timeline so that it
> slides everything else evenly out of the way (a "ripple add" I guess)?
>
> I've tried using the Slip tool as the instructions say, but I can only
> seem to get one track to move rather than all of them. What am I doing
> wrong? Thanks

Haven't been using premier in awhile, but it seems like maybe you should
turn off snap
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 7:14:49 PM

"twobirds" <notareal@eaddy.com> wrote in message

> "Jim Patterson" <hangfire@arthur.avalon.net> wrote in message
> news:p ine.HPP.3.96.1040524151145.14269A-100000@arthur.avalon.net...
> >
> > I've used Premiere for a while but have never had to do this before!
How
> > do I simply add about a minute in the middle of the timeline so that it
> > slides everything else evenly out of the way (a "ripple add" I guess)?
> >
> > I've tried using the Slip tool as the instructions say, but I can only
> > seem to get one track to move rather than all of them. What am I doing
> > wrong? Thanks

Sorry for responding to a quote of the original post, but . . .

Make sure all tracks are selected (highlighted) before using the slip tool.

> Haven't been using premier in awhile, but it seems like maybe you should
> turn off snap

May 24, 2004 9:21:12 PM

"PTRAVEL" <ptravel88-usenet@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Sorry for responding to a quote of the original post, but . . .
>
> Make sure all tracks are selected (highlighted) before using the slip
tool.

All tracks? Or just the ones to move over the one minute he's looking for?
Perhaps the picture of this in my mind is a little different than what he's
trying to do.

I'm imagining a time line that has to be either cut in the middle to add a
"dead minute" or a series of tracks/files that the left side (beginning of
the time line) has to stay put, and the right side has to be moved over 1
minute to create a "dead minute". If all tracks are highlited, won't they
all move? - Again, it has been a little while since I used Premier. I
think the last version I paid for was 5.
May 25, 2004 8:52:42 AM

Jim Patterson <hangfire@arthur.avalon.net> wrote in
news:p ine.HPP.3.96.1040524151145.14269A-100000@arthur.avalon.net:

> I've used Premiere for a while but have never had to do this before! How
> do I simply add about a minute in the middle of the timeline so that it
> slides everything else evenly out of the way (a "ripple add" I guess)?
>
> I've tried using the Slip tool as the instructions say, but I can only
> seem to get one track to move rather than all of them. What am I doing
> wrong? Thanks

I think all you need to do is "razor at edit line" where you want the blank
area to start, then use the multitrack select tool to move everything else
further down... with the multitrack select tool, you can click on anything
in the timeline and as you slide it, everything (all tracks) will move...
as long as they're not locked.

sailor
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 8:52:43 AM

"Sailor" wrote ...
> I think all you need to do is "razor at edit line" where you want the
blank
> area to start,

unless there is already a break there, of course.

> then use the multitrack select tool

a.k.a "lasso" tool

> to move everything else
> further down... with the multitrack select tool, you can click on anything
> in the timeline and as you slide it, everything (all tracks) will move...
> as long as they're not locked.
>
> sailor
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 1:29:17 PM

On Mon, 24 May 2004 22:10:42 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
<rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:

>"Sailor" wrote ...
>> I think all you need to do is "razor at edit line" where you want the
>blank
>> area to start,
>
>unless there is already a break there, of course.
>
>> then use the multitrack select tool
>
>a.k.a "lasso" tool

Not really - there's is a lasso tool in Premiere, but the multitrack
select tool is something different. The icon looks like the single
track select tool, but it has two arrows in it and when you use it, it
automatically moves all the tracks together without you having to
lasso them.

Steve

The Doctor Who Restoration Team Website
http://www.restoration-team.co.uk
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 5:26:33 PM

Steve Roberts wrote:

> On Mon, 24 May 2004 22:10:42 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
> <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:
>

>>"Sailor" wrote ...
>>
>>>I think all you need to do is "razor at edit line" where you want the
>>
>>blank
>>
>>>area to start,
>>
>>unless there is already a break there, of course.
>>

>>>then use the multitrack select tool
>>
>>a.k.a "lasso" tool
>

> Not really - there's is a lasso tool in Premiere, but the multitrack
> select tool is something different. The icon looks like the single
> track select tool, but it has two arrows in it and when you use it, it
> automatically moves all the tracks together without you having to
> lasso them.

And... it works. I have used it to move everything past a certain point,
further down the timeline.
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 7:53:10 AM

Thanks everyone...this worked :)