PC wont read Canon DV camera

April 25, 2005 4:53:02 AM

I have a Canon MV730i video camera, and i have installed the Video Presenter
Program and tried to get footage off the camera onto my pc, but it just wont
seem to work.. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great!!!
Thanks

More about : wont read canon camera

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 8:24:31 PM

Renzington Wrote:
> I have a Canon MV730i video camera, and i have installed the Video
> Presenter Program and tried to get footage off the camera onto my pc,
> but it just wont seem to work.. If anyone has any suggestions that
> would be great!!!
> Thanks
Renzington,
You almost tripped me up on this one! Seems your camera is Europian by
design? :D
'Canon' (http://tinyurl.com/dhge4)
You say you've loaded the Video Presenter software? The only one I
found for the camera was Canon’s DV Messenger software. The system
requirement for the software is this;
To use DV Messenger, you must have the Windows XP operating system
installed along with Windows Messenger (Version 4.5 or higher).
Also note the following requirements:
NET PASSPORT registration (you may use a current account or create a
new one)
A broadband Internet connection (such as Cable, DSL, ISDN, or similar)
is highly recommended
A global Internet Protocol address
No personal firewall system (If you have one installed, it must be
temporarily disabled while using DV Messenger).
Hardware/Software Configuration
OS: Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional
CPU: pentium 500MHz or more (pentium 800MHz or more is recommended).
RAM: 128MB or more (256MB or more is recommended).
Free hard disk space: 100MB or more
Display: 800 x 600 pixels/High color (16bit) or better
Interface: IEEE 1394 (OHCI compliant)
Necessary software, Windows Messenger 4.5 or later
Others: Sound function, Internet connection
Note,
If you use a router to connect to the Internet, please note that your
router must be UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) compatible.
The videoconference function of Microsoft Windows Messenger must be
available.

So if this _isn't_ what you have loaded, then it must be a different
version of the software. No bother though because you have two strikes
against you anyway! SP2 & firewire drivers don't work, and the firewall
issue.
I don't work for Canon or Microsoft, so I can't give you an answer on
how to fix it.
I'll give the obvious solutions you'll hear; check your cables, try the
camera on another computer to see if it is recognised, boot-up with
camera set to transfer mode, drink beer until the problem goes away.
Sorry for being sarcastic, but something that used to be somewhat easy,
is now impossable.
Maybe I missed something, but I doubt it.
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman
Anonymous

--
Treeman
April 27, 2005 1:15:01 PM

How are you connecting the cam and pc, usb or firewire?
Which O/S do you have?
If XP, then use firewire and Movie maker.
Does xp ping and give you the new hardware connected bubble when you
connect?
Hve you checked device manager to ensure the hardware is all ok?

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Renzington" <Renzington@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a Canon MV730i video camera, and i have installed the Video
Presenter
> Program and tried to get footage off the camera onto my pc, but it just
wont
> seem to work.. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great!!!
> Thanks
May 25, 2005 7:10:03 AM

I had the same problem. but i reformat my computer to a barebone XP pre
without SP2 and an older directX too. it worked.

good luck

!