connecting tv to laptop-no video!

connecting my laptop to the tv via s-video cable, I can't see any video or
photo content! when I play any sort of media file or even look at a JPEG,
all I see is a black square on the television screen where the image is on
my laptop screen. is it because my TV can't handle the resolution? the
windows screens and all non-video and photo related images come across fine
on the tv. I'm attempting to watch an .avi movie on my TV using windows
media player.

Running WIN XP.

Look in your Display Adapter properties
for the Primary and Secondary display choices.

Set the TV for Primary.

It's an overlay thing...it used to happen with a IBM
laptop using the ATI chipset.