HL2 and GeForce4 Ti4200 = Problem

Last response: in Video Games
July 7, 2005 4:50:10 PM

Help.
I can't even start Half-Life 2.
First I try to start the game in standard mode, then in secure mode, but it
is impossible.
Get the message "Failed to set video mode. This game has a minimum
requirement of DirectX 7.0 compatible hardware." I have installed the
newest drivers for the videocard.

Can I make this work, or do I need a new videocard?

SYSTEM SPECS:
MB: Nf7-s V2
CPU: Barton XP2500
RAM: 512MB PC 2700
VIDEO: GeForce Ti 4200 128MB
OS: XP Pro w/SP2 - up to date
DirectX 9.0c
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 4:50:11 PM

Recommend using 45.23 drivers for the card - that is what I use for HL2
and my Ti4200. Works fine, min 30fps, typically 60fps.

Although I will probably get flamed for suggesting using an older
driver.

It works just great for me with all my games, and I do buy newer games.
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 10:07:21 PM

I was strolling through alt.games.half-life one day, when suddenly
Ruben Eidesen surprised me by leaping from a nearby hedge.
As I levelled my service revolver, the unfortunate creature cried out;

> Can I make this work, or do I need a new videocard?

I wouldn't have thought you'd need a new video card - I'm using a Ti-
4400 myself (not too far away from your card in terms of spec) and it's
fine. As the others have said, a different driver could be the key.

If it helps, I'm using 71.89 on mine, from nVidia not the hardware
vendor (I'm XP SP2 as well).

Are nVidia drivers still finicky about having old driver versions
around..?

--

WildStyle24_7

"The same beat produces the same evil inclination
EVEN if we tie the words Jesus Saves to it;
let's build a bonfire and get rid of this TRASH."
-Fundamentalist Preacher on the dangers of Rock 'n' Roll
July 8, 2005 1:40:18 AM

It works!

Used driver 71.84.
Got a message that said that this was an old driver and that I should
upgrade to a newer one.
Ignored that message, and then the game started loading :-)

Thanx A lot!

Regards,
Ruben

"WildStyle24_7" <wildstyle247@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I was strolling through alt.games.half-life one day, when suddenly
> Ruben Eidesen surprised me by leaping from a nearby hedge.
> As I levelled my service revolver, the unfortunate creature cried out;
>

>> Can I make this work, or do I need a new videocard?
>>
> I wouldn't have thought you'd need a new video card - I'm using a Ti-
> 4400 myself (not too far away from your card in terms of spec) and it's
> fine. As the others have said, a different driver could be the key.
>
> If it helps, I'm using 71.89 on mine, from nVidia not the hardware
> vendor (I'm XP SP2 as well).
>
> Are nVidia drivers still finicky about having old driver versions
> around..?
>
> --
>
> WildStyle24_7
>
> "The same beat produces the same evil inclination
> EVEN if we tie the words Jesus Saves to it;
> let's build a bonfire and get rid of this TRASH."
> -Fundamentalist Preacher on the dangers of Rock 'n' Roll
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 5:10:58 AM

Gil wrote:
> Recommend using 45.23 drivers for the card - that is what I use for HL2
> and my Ti4200. Works fine, min 30fps, typically 60fps.
>
> Although I will probably get flamed for suggesting using an older
> driver.

Not at all - I run HL2 and all my other games just fine with ATI
catalyst drivers from october 2003 :-) (cat 3.10) .. as far as i see
it, i've never had a problem, so why fix sommat wot aint broke ;-)

> It works just great for me with all my games, and I do buy newer games.

ditto :)

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench
Anonymous

"Ben Cottrell" <bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote in message
> Gil wrote:
>> Recommend using 45.23 drivers for the card - that is what I use for
>> HL2 and my Ti4200. Works fine, min 30fps, typically 60fps.
>>
>> Although I will probably get flamed for suggesting using an older
>> driver.
>
> Not at all - I run HL2 and all my other games just fine with ATI
> catalyst drivers from october 2003 :-) (cat 3.10) .. as far as i see
> it, i've never had a problem, so why fix sommat wot aint broke ;-)
>
>> It works just great for me with all my games, and I do buy newer
>> games.
>
> ditto :)

Nice to see ya pop in again Ben! Glad you aren't a casualty of
yesterday :\
McG.
July 8, 2005 5:04:17 PM

Ben Cottrell wrote:
> Gil wrote:
>
>> Recommend using 45.23 drivers for the card - that is what I use for HL2
>> and my Ti4200. Works fine, min 30fps, typically 60fps.
>>
>> Although I will probably get flamed for suggesting using an older
>> driver.
>

> Not at all - I run HL2 and all my other games just fine with ATI
> catalyst drivers from october 2003 :-) (cat 3.10) .. as far as i see
> it, i've never had a problem, so why fix sommat wot aint broke ;-)

Says me who switched drivers 3 times this week, "If it ain't broke, your
not trying hard enough."
:-)

I managed to get my HL2 and CS:S to only work in a 640x480 windowed
screen with new drivers. Hard to play CS:S that way.

--
Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
Reply Email: jethro86 (at) gmail (dot) com