accessing other computer via wireless

I have a partial home network set up with cable internet, a desktop, and a
laptop. Since there is no cable jack in the room with the desktop, both
computers access the cable modem through the wireless router with no
problems. I can surf the internet simultaneously without being bumped off or
anything annoying like that. The problem I am having is on the laptop, in my
network places, I can see icons for the laptop and the desktop, however it
will not recognize the desktop as existing. I used the wireless networking
wizard and a flash drive to set up each computer, so one would believe that
the settings would be the same (since that's the whole idea behind using the
flash drive) but apparentely they are not. There is a printer connected to
the desktop that I would like to share and have set it to do so. It does not
appear anywhere in the network. I would like to share this printer, some
files, and an external firewire powered zip drive between these two
computers. How do I fix these settings so that the computers recognize that
they are connected
1 answer Last reply
More about accessing computer wireless

    Josh,

    While you have achieved wireless conectivity and both machines can access
    the wireless access point and use the internet, that does not mean that they
    are automatically configured to allow communications between each other.
    For example, here is what I am thinking:

    1) Check the firewall settings
    There should be an exception to allow file and printer sharing on both
    machines (XP SP2?). This can be found on the Advanced Tab of the connection
    properties for the Wifi/Lan connector for each node.

    Are you using a 3rd party firewall product? You will have to determine how
    to configure such a product from their documentation, etc.

    2) One of these machines could have the network file/print service disabled:
    Using Computer Management (in Administrative Tools), make sure that the
    Workstation and Server services are running on both machines.

    3) Verify that each machine is in the same Workgroup.
    From my computer, right-click and select "Properties" and now, using the
    computer name tab, verify that they are part of the same workgroup or
    domain.

    Once you have done these things, let me know what you have found. I am sure
    that we can resolve your problem (even though it's not a wireless issue, it
    seems!)

    Brian

    --
    Brian Wehrle
    bwehrle@online.microsoft.com

    "Josh159" <Josh159@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a partial home network set up with cable internet, a desktop, and a
    > laptop. Since there is no cable jack in the room with the desktop, both
    > computers access the cable modem through the wireless router with no
    > problems. I can surf the internet simultaneously without being bumped off
    > or
    > anything annoying like that. The problem I am having is on the laptop, in
    > my
    > network places, I can see icons for the laptop and the desktop, however it
    > will not recognize the desktop as existing. I used the wireless networking
    > wizard and a flash drive to set up each computer, so one would believe
    > that
    > the settings would be the same (since that's the whole idea behind using
    > the
    > flash drive) but apparentely they are not. There is a printer connected to
    > the desktop that I would like to share and have set it to do so. It does
    > not
    > appear anywhere in the network. I would like to share this printer, some
    > files, and an external firewire powered zip drive between these two
    > computers. How do I fix these settings so that the computers recognize
    > that
    > they are connected

Wireless Desktops Wireless Networking