accessing other computer via wireless

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
September 20, 2004 11:49:08 PM

I have a partial home network set up with cable internet, a desktop, and a
laptop. Since there is no cable jack in the room with the desktop, both
computers access the cable modem through the wireless router with no
problems. I can surf the internet simultaneously without being bumped off or
anything annoying like that. The problem I am having is on the laptop, in my
network places, I can see icons for the laptop and the desktop, however it
will not recognize the desktop as existing. I used the wireless networking
wizard and a flash drive to set up each computer, so one would believe that
the settings would be the same (since that's the whole idea behind using the
flash drive) but apparentely they are not. There is a printer connected to
the desktop that I would like to share and have set it to do so. It does not
appear anywhere in the network. I would like to share this printer, some
files, and an external firewire powered zip drive between these two
computers. How do I fix these settings so that the computers recognize that
they are connected
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 21, 2004 7:06:38 PM

Josh,

While you have achieved wireless conectivity and both machines can access
the wireless access point and use the internet, that does not mean that they
are automatically configured to allow communications between each other.
For example, here is what I am thinking:

1) Check the firewall settings
There should be an exception to allow file and printer sharing on both
machines (XP SP2?). This can be found on the Advanced Tab of the connection
properties for the Wifi/Lan connector for each node.

Are you using a 3rd party firewall product? You will have to determine how
to configure such a product from their documentation, etc.

2) One of these machines could have the network file/print service disabled:
Using Computer Management (in Administrative Tools), make sure that the
Workstation and Server services are running on both machines.

3) Verify that each machine is in the same Workgroup.
From my computer, right-click and select "Properties" and now, using the
computer name tab, verify that they are part of the same workgroup or
domain.

Once you have done these things, let me know what you have found. I am sure
that we can resolve your problem (even though it's not a wireless issue, it
seems!)

Brian

--
Brian Wehrle