Firewire DV transfer, resulting DV avi file capture and pl..

tester

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Firewire DV transfer, resulting DV avi file capture and playback issue.

Camcorder works fine at work on an XP Pro SP2 desktop.

At home I have an XP Home SP2 laptop and an XP Pro SP2 desktop with
firewire. They used to capture just fine before SP2, but since it works at
the office with SP2, I don't think it's that.

When I capture, it recognizing the camacorder the same as at the office, an
"AVC Compliant DV Camcorder". I can control the camcorder just fine and the
live video and audio preview is fine as well. But even though I don't get
dropped frames, I noticed that at home, the timeline pauses every few
seconds or so. And when I try to playback the video the audio is slightly
choppy and the Video is a frozen garbbled mess that doesn't really change. I
always capture in standard NTSC DV AVI for editing and export to DV tape and
DVD.

I thought it was SP2, since I haven't used it since installing SP2. But it
works at the office with SP2 and it does capture and the live preview is
fine. It's just the resulting file seems messed up. I should probably try
bringing the resulting file here to work and see if it plays fine here at
work. Maybe it's just a playback issue and the file is actually just fine.

Any ideas until that test?

Is all the video a garbled mess? or just sections? Exactly the same on both
machines at home? As everything is working in connection, it sounds like it
may be a hardware problem or software interference.
Hardware, check dma is enabled on the hard disc, defrag, ensure lots of
space is available, save to another hard disc than the one windows is on if
you can.
Software, turn off all apps not needed, include internet connection, then
firewall/anti-virus/email, turn off screensaver, powersave modes etc etc.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Tester" <tester@fcgi.com> wrote in message
> Firewire DV transfer, resulting DV avi file capture and playback issue.
>
> Camcorder works fine at work on an XP Pro SP2 desktop.
>
> At home I have an XP Home SP2 laptop and an XP Pro SP2 desktop with
> firewire. They used to capture just fine before SP2, but since it works at
> the office with SP2, I don't think it's that.
>
> When I capture, it recognizing the camacorder the same as at the office,
an
> "AVC Compliant DV Camcorder". I can control the camcorder just fine and
the
> live video and audio preview is fine as well. But even though I don't get
> dropped frames, I noticed that at home, the timeline pauses every few
> seconds or so. And when I try to playback the video the audio is slightly
> choppy and the Video is a frozen garbbled mess that doesn't really change.
> always capture in standard NTSC DV AVI for editing and export to DV tape
and
> DVD.
>
> I thought it was SP2, since I haven't used it since installing SP2. But it
> works at the office with SP2 and it does capture and the live preview is
> fine. It's just the resulting file seems messed up. I should probably try
> bringing the resulting file here to work and see if it plays fine here at
> work. Maybe it's just a playback issue and the file is actually just fine.
>
> Any ideas until that test?

tester

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Well, wanted to post my findings. I saw an odd SCSI entry in my device
manager listing. Googled it and found it is part of Alcohol 120% burning
software package. So for kicks, I uninstalled it, rebooted, and now on my
desktop with SP2, my DV avi captures are no longer corrupted.

As an overview, My camcorder would be detected just fine, I can control it
fine and even the live capture preview video and audio was fine, but the
resulting avi file was always getting corrupted. Now with Alcohol 120%
uninstalled, the files capture fine.

Though I don't have Alcohol 120% on my SP2 laptop, so I am still trying to
figure out why it has the same exact issue on it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ca0f2007-18b5-4112-8bd6-8bf4bd3130b9&displaylang=en&Hash=8FFNB4F

Here is a download fix from Microsoft that helped some people, but had
nothing to do with my issue. But it's a good fix anyways because MS was lame
and slowed down the firewire port with SP2. Read it.