weird vcr problem

on capturing video from my vcr i get a large white box covering the middle of
my movie throughout. I can only see the top 20% and bottom 20% of the
captured movie.The middle is covered with white
help pleeeeeeeeeease

How are you doing this? What is your capture software? Which is your
analogue capture card? What app are you then viewing it in?

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Help ! ! ! !" <Help ! ! ! !@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> on capturing video from my vcr i get a large white box covering the middle
> of
> my movie throughout. I can only see the top 20% and bottom 20% of the
> captured movie.The middle is covered with white
> help pleeeeeeeeeease

TAZ

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004

i am capturing video from an anlogue pal/mesecam hitachi vcr onto windows xp
windows media maker v5.1 service pack 2, and on my Compaq presario amd 3.16
ghz computer i have an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 which is an NVIDIA wdm video
capture (universal) which is functioning normally as far as i can tell.
However on the captured video there is a white box covering the middle area.
Should i be changing the settings on media maker?
help!

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> How are you doing this? What is your capture software? Which is your
> analogue capture card? What app are you then viewing it in?
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>

> "Help ! ! ! !" <Help ! ! ! !@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > on capturing video from my vcr i get a large white box covering the middle
> > of
> > my movie throughout. I can only see the top 20% and bottom 20% of the
> > captured movie.The middle is covered with white
> > help pleeeeeeeeeease

TAZ

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004

i have windows xp, open the finished video using windows media player 9 but
even the capture software which is windows movie maker 5.1 service pack 2 has
the white box covering the middle part of the clip. The vcr is analogue
hitachi pal/mesecam vcr, the on NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200- an NVIDIA WDM Video
capture (universal) which is the capture device on my compaq presario amd
3000+ computer

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> How are you doing this? What is your capture software? Which is your
> analogue capture card? What app are you then viewing it in?
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>

> "Help ! ! ! !" <Help ! ! ! !@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > on capturing video from my vcr i get a large white box covering the middle
> > of
> > my movie throughout. I can only see the top 20% and bottom 20% of the
> > captured movie.The middle is covered with white
> > help pleeeeeeeeeease

MM is designed with digital capture via firewire. It can sometimes work with
analogue sources, but not often.
Your options are;
Check if you got any software with the card for analogue capture and use
this.
To try other capture apps, depending on what they capture as (often mjpeg)
you may have to convert the file to something MM will accept, wmv/avi.
Buy an analogue capture card with it's own software, which the n-vidia
strictly speaking isn't, and fit and use.
Buy an external capture device such as pinnacle or quality ones like
canopus/miglia.
Use a digital camcorder which supports pass through.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media