maxtor storage disk

To Whom it may concern:

In April, 2002 I purchased a Maxtor Personal Storage disk 3000LE
primarily for backups. For years I've been reading articles in the
Mags and by knowledgeable columnists. One must back up his important
files. Now, I actually never had a problem with the computer
crashing, but I had just bought a digital camera and thought it would
be a good idea to have a secure place to save them along with those
important files that I've been putting on floppies but which I no
longer needed.

Now it's May of ‘04 and I just bought a powerful notebook which I'm
using to replace my desktop. I connect my external disk to the new
computer...AND IT DOESN'T WORK!!!!

I try every which way to get it operating, but the computer doesn't
recognize the disk. I finally give up and call Maxtor where I get a
very patient, understanding gentleman on the other end who talks me
through the various steps that I need to go. Still doesn't work! And
so I ask,"what do I do now?" He says that the external casing no
longer seems to work and since it's out of warranty there's not much
he can do! But that's why I bought this thing: so I have permanent
and reliable storage just the way all the experts say. And his
response is:"you can't expect these things to last forever."

I don't know what this means for all the computer people that are
using these permanent storage gadgets. I do know that I have 2 years
of photos and a lot of personal letter that are important to me and I
can't access them.

A word to the wise...

It could be a power supply problem.
Does the unit have an external black plastic box that connects to the line
cord?