Free "Standard" DiVX codec vs. "Pro" (NOT Pro vs. free Pro)

I've searched through a lot of posts. There seems to be some confusion
about the "free" version of DiVX. There are, in fact, TWO free
downloads on the DiVX site. One is the "Standard" DiVX codec. The
other is the Ad-Supported free version of DiVX Pro.

I am not asking about "Pro" vs. "free Pro." I am asking about the
"free Standard" codec vs. the codec in any version of "Pro." Is there
any difference in the codec itself? Any features or options that are
not included in the "free Standard" codec? I don't care about any
other utilities or applications included in the download, just the
codec. Thanks.

Nat

Nat Kane wrote:

> I've searched through a lot of posts. There seems to be some confusion
> about the "free" version of DiVX. There are, in fact, TWO free
> downloads on the DiVX site. One is the "Standard" DiVX codec. The
> other is the Ad-Supported free version of DiVX Pro.
>
> I am not asking about "Pro" vs. "free Pro." I am asking about the
> "free Standard" codec vs. the codec in any version of "Pro." Is there
> any difference in the codec itself? Any features or options that are
> not included in the "free Standard" codec? I don't care about any
> other utilities or applications included in the download, just the
> codec. Thanks.

http://www.divx.com/divx/comparison.php
It should be pretty clear what the differences are.

Don't forget about XviD, though. You'll get quality at least as high
as Divx Pro, but without the commercial/adware tomfoolery.
http://koepi.roeder.goe.net/xvid.shtml

-WD