Mike

Splendid

I use a Mini DV recorder. I want to download and edit these on my copmputer
using WMM2. My question is the quality of the movie isn't the same as when I
took it. How do I create my movies so the picture quality is as good as it
is on the video? Thanks

rehan

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004

The best quality format for editing is DV AVI that Movie Maker supports.

To capture you movie in DV AVI you need to connect your cam with PC using a
Firewire/iLink/IEEE1398 cable. If your PC doesnt have the connection, you
need to purchase an extra card. These are dead cheap.

Also note that Movie maker's own preview is low quality and should not be
used to judge the expected quality. To see what quality you are going to
get, save a short clip from movie maker in DV AVI format. This is the format
that should give you best format out of movie maker if your source material
is DV.

TIP: To save the movie, use menu File -> "Save MOVIE As" or press key Ctrl-P
or use the "Save to my computer" under "Finish Movie" step on the left hand
task bar.

TIP: To save in DV AVI: In the Save Movie wizard, first screen allows you to
select a name for the saved movie and the next screen is "Movie Settings".
Click on "Show more options..." and you will have all the different options
to select. Select DV AVI from the drop down box and complete the remaining
steps.

--
Rehan
MS MVP -- Digital Media

>I use a Mini DV recorder. I want to download and edit these on my
>copmputer
> using WMM2. My question is the quality of the movie isn't the same as
> when I
> took it. How do I create my movies so the picture quality is as good as
> it
> is on the video? Thanks

Mike

Splendid

So I will get a better quality then using the cable?

"Rehan" wrote:

> The best quality format for editing is DV AVI that Movie Maker supports.
>
> To capture you movie in DV AVI you need to connect your cam with PC using a
> Firewire/iLink/IEEE1398 cable. If your PC doesnt have the connection, you
> need to purchase an extra card. These are dead cheap.
>
> Also note that Movie maker's own preview is low quality and should not be
> used to judge the expected quality. To see what quality you are going to
> get, save a short clip from movie maker in DV AVI format. This is the format
> that should give you best format out of movie maker if your source material
> is DV.
>
> TIP: To save the movie, use menu File -> "Save MOVIE As" or press key Ctrl-P
> or use the "Save to my computer" under "Finish Movie" step on the left hand
> task bar.
>
> TIP: To save in DV AVI: In the Save Movie wizard, first screen allows you to
> select a name for the saved movie and the next screen is "Movie Settings".
> Click on "Show more options..." and you will have all the different options
> to select. Select DV AVI from the drop down box and complete the remaining
> steps.
>

> --
> Rehan
> MS MVP -- Digital Media
> www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows Movie Maker
>

> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I use a Mini DV recorder. I want to download and edit these on my
> >copmputer
> > using WMM2. My question is the quality of the movie isn't the same as
> > when I
> > took it. How do I create my movies so the picture quality is as good as
> > it
> > is on the video? Thanks

Using the Firewire cable, yes. That is almost lossless on quality. Much
better than the RCA style cables.