capture audio only?

can anyone tell me how I can capture audio only to my computer from a dv tape.
I don't want the video just the audio so i can add it to another video.

"Nomen Nescio" <nobody@dizum.com> wrote in message
> On 28 May 2004 20:52:16 GMT, msug2@aol.com (MSug2) wrote:
>
> >can anyone tell me how I can capture audio only to my computer from a dv
> tape.
>
> Easiest way is to just capture the DV stream as an AVI/QT/etc. and import
> it into your NLE (I use Sony's Vegas), then save the audio portion only of
> it as a seperate file. Sony's Vegas makes it extremely easy, but I would
> think cheaper stuff like Sony's Screenblast series would work too.
>
> You can also try VirtualDUB (VD) via the method(s) listed here
> <http://www.videohelp.com/faq#demultiplex>, but I'm not sure how well VD
> handles DV natively. I'm pretty sure VD still doesn't work with (modern)
> WDM codecs. You will probably need a third-party (primitive) VFW DV codec
> such as that put out by Canopus or M$.
>
> I don't know of a way to capture the audio only "on the fly" in realtime.

In my case I just click the "Separate Files for Audio and Video" button
in my capture SW, "Movie Mill 2"; and then select the "Audio Format"
wav or mpeg. (there is a registry hack to do PCM also)

This is for an Analog capture though. It seems strange, with all the
claimed (and mostly real) benefit of a DV source; that such a capability
would not be available during the DV "capture"/transfer to your hard
drive.

Luck;
Ken

On 28 May 2004 20:52:16 GMT, msug2@aol.com (MSug2) wrote:

>can anyone tell me how I can capture audio only to my computer from a dv tape.
>I don't want the video just the audio so i can add it to another video.

As long as you're capturing the DV data stream, you may as well
capture the video. Then you can separate the tracks in your editing
app, or just mute the video.

If your app can't do multiple video tracks, you can export the
captured audio as an audio file -- I think that almost any video app
will do that.

I'm sure that there are audio-only capture tools out there, but it
isn't necessary if you've got the disk space to play with.

Redfox

"MSug2" <msug2@aol.com> wrote in message
> can anyone tell me how I can capture audio only to my computer from a dv
tape.
> I don't want the video just the audio so i can add it to another video.

Would seem to me that the DV playing into a computer is similar to a VCR. I
can copy the audio track of a video by playing it (the video) to the
computer and capturing the audio with a prog like Total Recorder, which
costs about $15. There may be freebees that can do the same thing.

Good luck and have fun :)

RF

I find M$'s operating system's add-on Microsoft Plus, Digital Media Edition,
remarkably useful. It contains a simple yet very effective analog recorder
and an audio converter that has allowed me to capture quality sound from a
number of sources and subsequently burn quality CD's. One thing to look out
for is to split tracks into the segments you want, for instance into 80
minute segments for CD production, BEFORE saving to the computer. Denzil

MSug2 said:

> can anyone tell me how I can capture audio only to my computer from a dv
tape.
> I don't want the video just the audio so i can add it to another video.

Other people have told you how to capture the audio. But why not just capture
both audio and video extract the audio and toss the video. I believe that just
about any video editing system will let you do that.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave