Firewire and XP SP2

May 2, 2005 10:58:04 AM

Help!!!

I have what seems to be a very common problem - my Sony DCR TRV22 DV
camcorder is no longer recognized at all via Firewire by Windows since
installing XP SP2.

I have 2 systems with the same issue:

AMD 2600+
Asus MB nVidia nForce 2 chipset
Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum with Firewire &
Windows XP upgraded to SP2 from SP1

iDEQ SFF PC w/ built in Firewire
Celeron 2.4 GHz
Windows Media Center Edition 2005 (which comes with SP2)

Here's what I've done:

1)Bought a new firewire cable (before I realized it's definitely an SP2 issue)
2)Various Spyware/Virus scans (which I do anyway - BTW MS AntiSpyware Beta
is awesome for getting rid of that IST bar)
3)Tried my friend's identical DCR TRV22 - same issue
4)Replaced my SP2 IEEE 1394 files with SP1 as per previous posts
5)My Firewall is completely OFF
6)Re-booted with my camera connected and ON
7)My IEEE 1394 Controller is seen by Windows as working properly

I have some footage I must get over onto DVD and the USB connection stinks.

Treeman, I've noticed you have spent a lot of time on this problem and seem
to be the most knowledgeable person I've come across as I've been scouring
the internet for the last 3 months or so. I haven't seen much info recently
though that is new.

I refuse to roll everything back to SP1 since I actually like the pop-up
blocker and I'm guessing will run into other compatability problems if I do
-i.e. video, etc...

Can anyone help? Does MS have a solution?

More about : firewire sp2

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 1:32:43 PM

Have you tried re-installing the camera drivers and software? Uninstall
them, then re-install.
W.D.
"SP2 broke my IEEE1394" <SP2 broke my IEEE1394@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:AC1E2375-C6BB-47A6-B236-718A3AB5ED21@microsoft.com...
> Help!!!
>
> I have what seems to be a very common problem - my Sony DCR TRV22 DV
> camcorder is no longer recognized at all via Firewire by Windows since
> installing XP SP2.
>
> I have 2 systems with the same issue:
>
> AMD 2600+
> Asus MB nVidia nForce 2 chipset
> Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum with Firewire &
> Windows XP upgraded to SP2 from SP1
>
> iDEQ SFF PC w/ built in Firewire
> Celeron 2.4 GHz
> Windows Media Center Edition 2005 (which comes with SP2)
>
> Here's what I've done:
>
> 1)Bought a new firewire cable (before I realized it's definitely an SP2
> issue)
> 2)Various Spyware/Virus scans (which I do anyway - BTW MS AntiSpyware Beta
> is awesome for getting rid of that IST bar)
> 3)Tried my friend's identical DCR TRV22 - same issue
> 4)Replaced my SP2 IEEE 1394 files with SP1 as per previous posts
> 5)My Firewall is completely OFF
> 6)Re-booted with my camera connected and ON
> 7)My IEEE 1394 Controller is seen by Windows as working properly
>
> I have some footage I must get over onto DVD and the USB connection
> stinks.
>
> Treeman, I've noticed you have spent a lot of time on this problem and
> seem
> to be the most knowledgeable person I've come across as I've been scouring
> the internet for the last 3 months or so. I haven't seen much info
> recently
> though that is new.
>
> I refuse to roll everything back to SP1 since I actually like the pop-up
> blocker and I'm guessing will run into other compatability problems if I
> do
> -i.e. video, etc...
>
> Can anyone help? Does MS have a solution?

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 5:50:09 PM

My camera did not come with specific firewire drivers. It relies on the
drivers provided by Windows, as do all firewire camcorders, I think. The
only driver my camera has is a USB driver, but the USB works OK (it's just
not good enough).

"W.D. Parker" wrote:

> Have you tried re-installing the camera drivers and software? Uninstall
> them, then re-install.
> W.D.
> "SP2 broke my IEEE1394" <SP2 broke my IEEE1394@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message news:AC1E2375-C6BB-47A6-B236-718A3AB5ED21@microsoft.com...
> > Help!!!
> >
> > I have what seems to be a very common problem - my Sony DCR TRV22 DV
> > camcorder is no longer recognized at all via Firewire by Windows since
> > installing XP SP2.
> >
> > I have 2 systems with the same issue:
> >
> > AMD 2600+
> > Asus MB nVidia nForce 2 chipset
> > Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum with Firewire &
> > Windows XP upgraded to SP2 from SP1
> >
> > iDEQ SFF PC w/ built in Firewire
> > Celeron 2.4 GHz
> > Windows Media Center Edition 2005 (which comes with SP2)
> >
> > Here's what I've done:
> >
> > 1)Bought a new firewire cable (before I realized it's definitely an SP2
> > issue)
> > 2)Various Spyware/Virus scans (which I do anyway - BTW MS AntiSpyware Beta
> > is awesome for getting rid of that IST bar)
> > 3)Tried my friend's identical DCR TRV22 - same issue
> > 4)Replaced my SP2 IEEE 1394 files with SP1 as per previous posts
> > 5)My Firewall is completely OFF
> > 6)Re-booted with my camera connected and ON
> > 7)My IEEE 1394 Controller is seen by Windows as working properly
> >
> > I have some footage I must get over onto DVD and the USB connection
> > stinks.
> >
> > Treeman, I've noticed you have spent a lot of time on this problem and
> > seem
> > to be the most knowledgeable person I've come across as I've been scouring
> > the internet for the last 3 months or so. I haven't seen much info
> > recently
> > though that is new.
> >
> > I refuse to roll everything back to SP1 since I actually like the pop-up
> > blocker and I'm guessing will run into other compatability problems if I
> > do
> > -i.e. video, etc...
> >
> > Can anyone help? Does MS have a solution?

May 2, 2005 10:24:19 PM

A KB hit. Does not sound like it, but you never know...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318684

"SP2 broke my IEEE1394" <SP2 broke my IEEE1394@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:AC1E2375-C6BB-47A6-B236-718A3AB5ED21@microsoft.com...
> Help!!!
>
> I have what seems to be a very common problem - my Sony DCR TRV22 DV
> camcorder is no longer recognized at all via Firewire by Windows since
> installing XP SP2.
>
> I have 2 systems with the same issue:
>
> AMD 2600+
> Asus MB nVidia nForce 2 chipset
> Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum with Firewire &
> Windows XP upgraded to SP2 from SP1
>
> iDEQ SFF PC w/ built in Firewire
> Celeron 2.4 GHz
> Windows Media Center Edition 2005 (which comes with SP2)
>
> Here's what I've done:
>
> 1)Bought a new firewire cable (before I realized it's definitely an SP2
> issue)
> 2)Various Spyware/Virus scans (which I do anyway - BTW MS AntiSpyware Beta
> is awesome for getting rid of that IST bar)
> 3)Tried my friend's identical DCR TRV22 - same issue
> 4)Replaced my SP2 IEEE 1394 files with SP1 as per previous posts
> 5)My Firewall is completely OFF
> 6)Re-booted with my camera connected and ON
> 7)My IEEE 1394 Controller is seen by Windows as working properly
>
> I have some footage I must get over onto DVD and the USB connection
> stinks.
>
> Treeman, I've noticed you have spent a lot of time on this problem and
> seem
> to be the most knowledgeable person I've come across as I've been scouring
> the internet for the last 3 months or so. I haven't seen much info
> recently
> though that is new.
>
> I refuse to roll everything back to SP1 since I actually like the pop-up
> blocker and I'm guessing will run into other compatability problems if I
> do
> -i.e. video, etc...
>
> Can anyone help? Does MS have a solution?

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 2:54:10 AM

Are we to assume that it was working fine before installing SP2?
If so, it doesn't work when replacing the drivers with the old sp1 ones?
The media centre has never worked with the camcorder?
Can you try your camcorder and cable to see if it works on your friends pc?
If you have an ext hdd you could download to this at his machine to get you
out of trouble until this is solved.
Is the audigy the only firewire connection on that pc? If so, have you
checked for any updated drivers for the audigy card as some early models
didn't have fully compliant ones.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"SP2 broke my IEEE1394" <SP2brokemyIEEE1394@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:F5790F9A-A1F9-4A8C-AC5D-181D943A34D7@microsoft.com...
> My camera did not come with specific firewire drivers. It relies on the
> drivers provided by Windows, as do all firewire camcorders, I think. The
> only driver my camera has is a USB driver, but the USB works OK (it's just
> not good enough).
>

> "W.D. Parker" wrote:
>
>> Have you tried re-installing the camera drivers and software? Uninstall
>> them, then re-install.
>> W.D.
>> "SP2 broke my IEEE1394" <SP2 broke my IEEE1394@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote in message
>> > Help!!!
>> >
>> > I have what seems to be a very common problem - my Sony DCR TRV22 DV
>> > camcorder is no longer recognized at all via Firewire by Windows since
>> > installing XP SP2.
>> >
>> > I have 2 systems with the same issue:
>> >
>> > AMD 2600+
>> > Asus MB nVidia nForce 2 chipset
>> > Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum with Firewire &
>> > Windows XP upgraded to SP2 from SP1
>> >
>> > iDEQ SFF PC w/ built in Firewire
>> > Celeron 2.4 GHz
>> > Windows Media Center Edition 2005 (which comes with SP2)
>> >
>> > Here's what I've done:
>> >
>> > 1)Bought a new firewire cable (before I realized it's definitely an SP2
>> > issue)
>> > 2)Various Spyware/Virus scans (which I do anyway - BTW MS AntiSpyware
>> > Beta
>> > is awesome for getting rid of that IST bar)
>> > 3)Tried my friend's identical DCR TRV22 - same issue
>> > 4)Replaced my SP2 IEEE 1394 files with SP1 as per previous posts
>> > 5)My Firewall is completely OFF
>> > 6)Re-booted with my camera connected and ON
>> > 7)My IEEE 1394 Controller is seen by Windows as working properly
>> >
>> > I have some footage I must get over onto DVD and the USB connection
>> > stinks.
>> >
>> > Treeman, I've noticed you have spent a lot of time on this problem and
>> > seem
>> > to be the most knowledgeable person I've come across as I've been
>> > scouring
>> > the internet for the last 3 months or so. I haven't seen much info
>> > recently
>> > though that is new.
>> >
>> > I refuse to roll everything back to SP1 since I actually like the
>> > pop-up
>> > blocker and I'm guessing will run into other compatability problems if
>> > do
>> > -i.e. video, etc...
>> >
>> > Can anyone help? Does MS have a solution?

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 11:51:04 AM

Hi Graham,

Yes - it was working fine on both PC's before (the SFF was running XP SP1).

Haven't tried the camera elsewhere, but I'm sure it's SP2...
No luck rolling back to SP1 drivers as per Treeman's previous posts...

Audigy did work before, and has the latest drivers...

It's a nasty problem, not sure why Microsoft won't acknowledge it - am I
missing something?

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> Are we to assume that it was working fine before installing SP2?
> If so, it doesn't work when replacing the drivers with the old sp1 ones?
> The media centre has never worked with the camcorder?
> Can you try your camcorder and cable to see if it works on your friends pc?
> If you have an ext hdd you could download to this at his machine to get you
> out of trouble until this is solved.
> Is the audigy the only firewire connection on that pc? If so, have you
> checked for any updated drivers for the audigy card as some early models
> didn't have fully compliant ones.
>

> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>

> "SP2 broke my IEEE1394" <SP2brokemyIEEE1394@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> in message news:F5790F9A-A1F9-4A8C-AC5D-181D943A34D7@microsoft.com...
> > My camera did not come with specific firewire drivers. It relies on the
> > drivers provided by Windows, as do all firewire camcorders, I think. The
> > only driver my camera has is a USB driver, but the USB works OK (it's just
> > not good enough).
> >

> > "W.D. Parker" wrote:
> >
> >> Have you tried re-installing the camera drivers and software? Uninstall
> >> them, then re-install.
> >> W.D.
> >> "SP2 broke my IEEE1394" <SP2 broke my IEEE1394@discussions.microsoft.com>
> >> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 4, 2005 6:45:25 PM

Just being picky here, but on one hand you say the mce came with sp2 on the
other you are saying it used to work with the. Can you just clartify this
for me.
Microsfts take on this is that they moved SP2 to more closely adhere to the
ieee1394 standards, which SP1a didn't. This has meant that some items, which
also don't quite adhere to the standards fail to work properly. Now if they
are telling the truth then it's not really their fault. I have not had any
problems since updating my office pc, my video editing pc and my wifes pc
with firewire not working properly and I have 3 camcorders. All this proves
is that in my personal set ups sp2 works fine, it may be a conflict with
other items on your pc's that are causing it, I don't really know.
If it was the sp2 drivers then rolling back would have fixed it, so we need
to look deeper to try and solve it, so first lets ensure it's not faulty
equipment so see if you can test the cam on a known to work computer and
report back.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"SP2 broke my IEEE1394" <SP2brokemyIEEE1394@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:1800181C-F274-4DE9-B8D8-1112A40F39DF@microsoft.com...
> Hi Graham,
>
> Yes - it was working fine on both PC's before (the SFF was running XP
> SP1).
>
> Haven't tried the camera elsewhere, but I'm sure it's SP2...
> No luck rolling back to SP1 drivers as per Treeman's previous posts...
>
> Audigy did work before, and has the latest drivers...
>
> It's a nasty problem, not sure why Microsoft won't acknowledge it - am I
> missing something?
>
> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
>
>> Are we to assume that it was working fine before installing SP2?
>> If so, it doesn't work when replacing the drivers with the old sp1 ones?
>> The media centre has never worked with the camcorder?
>> Can you try your camcorder and cable to see if it works on your friends
>> pc?
>> If you have an ext hdd you could download to this at his machine to get
>> you
>> out of trouble until this is solved.
>> Is the audigy the only firewire connection on that pc? If so, have you
>> checked for any updated drivers for the audigy card as some early models
>> didn't have fully compliant ones.
>>

>> --
>> Graham Hughes
>> MVP Digital Media
>> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
>> www.dvds2treasure.com
>> www.simplydv.com
>>

>> "SP2 broke my IEEE1394" <SP2brokemyIEEE1394@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote
>> in message news:F5790F9A-A1F9-4A8C-AC5D-181D943A34D7@microsoft.com...
>> > My camera did not come with specific firewire drivers. It relies on
>> > the
>> > drivers provided by Windows, as do all firewire camcorders, I think.
>> > The
>> > only driver my camera has is a USB driver, but the USB works OK (it's
>> > just
>> > not good enough).

Anonymous
May 6, 2005 11:40:03 AM

Hi Graham,

First off, thanks for taking the time to respond as I realize this is a very
nebulous problem.

To answer your question on the SFF - I originally had XP SP1 installed on
it. At that time, the camera was recognized immediately every time and I had
no issues.

I then proceeded to format the drive, completely wiping it and installed MCE
2005 on it fresh, and MCE 2005 includes SP2. Now, my camera is not
recognized at all on this system or on my other system via Firewire, but USB
works.

As for hardware, my friend's exact same model camera (Sony DCR TRV22) has
the same issue on both my systems as mine does (does not detect firewired
cameras at all), so unless the DV gods have conspired to disable both our
cameras IEEE 1394 connections simultaneously without affecting any other
functions on the cameras, I am guessing the issue must be with my PCs.

I agree that there is something new on the PCs that is causing the issue,
and based on the many, MANY other people who report IEEE 1394 connection
issues with SP2, I must assume this is it. I have yet to come across a
definite, common reason why the problem occurs, other than the obvious: i.e.
the firewall on the IEEE 1394 connection for example. But you raise a valid
point when you state MS has made SP2 more adherent to the standard, where
perhaps my Sony camera somehow is not as adherent?

But again, the drivers are all MS, NOT Sony, so I am unsure how the problem
could be with the camera hardware itself being incompatible, although I
suppose it is possible. Bottom line is, I tried a bunch of stuff and the @#$
camera Firewire does not work and I am very frustrated since I need to pull
the video off somehow and the USB does not cut it.

Thanks again for your support.

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> [...]
> > No luck rolling back to SP1 drivers as per Treeman's previous posts...
> >
> > Audigy did work before, and has the latest drivers...
> >
> > It's a nasty problem, not sure why Microsoft won't acknowledge it - am I
> > missing something?
> >
> > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
> >
> >> Are we to assume that it was working fine before installing SP2?
> >> If so, it doesn't work when replacing the drivers with the old sp1 ones?
> >> The media centre has never worked with the camcorder?
> >> Can you try your camcorder and cable to see if it works on your friends
> >> pc?
> >> If you have an ext hdd you could download to this at his machine to get
> >> you
> >> out of trouble until this is solved.
> >> Is the audigy the only firewire connection on that pc? If so, have you
> >> checked for any updated drivers for the audigy card as some early models

May 6, 2005 8:03:54 PM

OK, Im going to ask Microsoft to see if we have anything on this as it was
supposed to be looked into.
It is very unlikely that both camers have developed faults at the same time.
In the mean time here is something else I found looking through past posts.

Execute the following on the Start -> Run dialog

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\qdv.dll

it should result in "RegisterSever succeeded in qdv.dll" message. After
wards restart WMM and retry.

Restotre the DLL you downgraded.

Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"SP2 broke my IEEE1394" <SP2brokemyIEEE1394@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:5C93470F-BA84-44D5-8164-E7E9B5409ADE@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>> report back.
>>
>> --
>> Graham Hughes
>> MVP Digital Media
>> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
>> www.dvds2treasure.com
>> www.simplydv.com
>>

>> "SP2 broke my IEEE1394" <SP2brokemyIEEE1394@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote
>> in message news:1800181C-F274-4DE9-B8D8-1112A40F39DF@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi Graham,
>> >
>> > Yes - it was working fine on both PC's before (the SFF was running XP
>> > SP1).
>> >
>> > Haven't tried the camera elsewhere, but I'm sure it's SP2...
>> > No luck rolling back to SP1 drivers as per Treeman's previous posts...
>> >
>> > Audigy did work before, and has the latest drivers...
>> >
>> > It's a nasty problem, not sure why Microsoft won't acknowledge it - am

May 7, 2005 2:03:45 AM

Got a quick reply from MS, which states it's firmware in certain cams that
is causing the problem. No problems had been found with Sony previously,
mostly canon, so I'm going to pass on all your details to MS if that is ok
with you.
Can you mail me as much detail as possible about the two pc systems,
including hardware and software, the make/model of cam and when bought,
PAL/NTSC etc etc. I know we have discussed some of it, but it'll be easier
for me if I have it off you all in one go.
I'm also going to start collating info for MS to see if we can get the
hotfix closer to the top of the pile of things to work on, so no promises,
but fingers crossed.

Graham

--
Graham Hughes