VP6 codec any opinions?

I downloaded the VP6 codec from
http://www.on2.com/vp6.php3

Actually I found that site when looking for data on the China EVD format.
(That is their new blue light DVD).
It seems to use this codec for video, and they claim it is better then
mpeg4 and DivX.
So I installed it in win 98 (eh) and coded a 720x576 AVI 25fps with it in
virtualdub.
I goofed a bit, it was set to 38KB/s... So 190 kbps.
Does not look so good, still have to try higher bitrates.
Not sure it is better then DivX, or wmf...
Also it is slow (5.5 fps on a Duron 950).
Anyone have experiences with this?
Other thing I found is that mediaplayer and mediaplayer classic do not play
it back correctly (black screen, but it plays).
Vdub plays it back fine, but is not a practical viewer.
Linux mplayer does not have a VP6 codec (yet?).

In the end, if EVD makes it here we will need somthing like this perhaps.
JP

There's no question that VP6 is great when using its slowest encoding
modes - far superior to divx or xvid. The downside is that it takes up to 5
times longer to encode.

On a sunny day (Sun, 30 May 2004 10:29:47 +1000) it happened "Damien Evans"
<guest@anon.com> wrote in <2hso7vFgvcjtU1@uni-berlin.de>:

>There's no question that VP6 is great when using its slowest encoding
>modes - far superior to divx or xvid. The downside is that it takes up to 5
>times longer to encode.
OK, I just did a part in Linux with vdub in wine, at 1500kbps, but now
vdub does not want to display the output ...
Will have to boot in MSwindows again tomorrow perhaps.
It seems mplayer in Linux (the latest) can do vp6, but I encoded in vp6.1
or something...
I will get back on this.
JP

On a sunny day (Sun, 30 May 2004 00:44:30 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje
<pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in
<a2f369f8977d2c0785f9604bb63b13b3@news.teranews.com>:

>On a sunny day (Sun, 30 May 2004 10:29:47 +1000) it happened "Damien Evans"
><guest@anon.com> wrote in <2hso7vFgvcjtU1@uni-berlin.de>:
>
>>There's no question that VP6 is great when using its slowest encoding
>>modes - far superior to divx or xvid. The downside is that it takes up to 5
>>times longer to encode.
>OK, I just did a part in Linux with vdub in wine, at 1500kbps, but now
>vdub does not want to display the output ...
>Will have to boot in MSwindows again tomorrow perhaps.
>It seems mplayer in Linux (the latest) can do vp6, but I encoded in vp6.1
>or something...
>I will get back on this.
>JP
OK, just tried in MS windows, still won't play back in mediaplayer, but
this is an old version.
Playback of the 1500kbps in vdub comes out fine, even some interference
(I fed it some nasty stuff) seems to get less.
It is only a quick check, but does seem watchable.
Indeed it may be of use too if you have little space, for example on a CDR
or something.
But I am even more interested in the high quality high definition stuff.
Maybe I could make some animation stuff with blender later, and encode that
(from raw avi to vp6) to get an idea.
1280x1024 progressive would fit nice on the PC monotor :)
Later perhaps.
JP

On Sun, 30 May 2004 01:09:12 GMT, Jan Panteltje
<pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Maybe I could make some animation stuff with blender later, and encode that
>(from raw avi to vp6) to get an idea.
>1280x1024 progressive would fit nice on the PC monotor :)
>Later perhaps.

I look forward to see the results. A codec as good as mpeg-1, both in
quality (DivX? only so-so) and CPU requirements (DivX? Certainly not),
but just made for AVI, is the ideal. I have not had the time to deal
much with VP6, though.

There is also Bink, http://www.radgametools.com/bnkmain.htm, but too
proprietary in many a sense.

On Sun, 30 May 2004 15:10:59 +0200, Bariloche
<bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 30 May 2004 01:09:12 GMT, Jan Panteltje
><pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Maybe I could make some animation stuff with blender later, and encode that
>>(from raw avi to vp6) to get an idea.
>>1280x1024 progressive would fit nice on the PC monotor :)
>>Later perhaps.
>
>I look forward to see the results. A codec as good as mpeg-1, both in
>quality (DivX? only so-so) and CPU requirements (DivX? Certainly not),
>but just made for AVI, is the ideal. I have not had the time to deal
>much with VP6, though.
>
>There is also Bink, http://www.radgametools.com/bnkmain.htm, but too
>proprietary in many a sense.

Hi, I took a look at Bink. It sure sounds good reading it. Does
anyone have an opinion to share after using it? thanks, Chebba

On a sunny day (Sun, 30 May 2004 15:10:59 +0200) it happened Bariloche
<bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote in
<olmjb0dm4nfhsofsdj8adf1v127i165mfb@4ax.com>:

>On Sun, 30 May 2004 01:09:12 GMT, Jan Panteltje
><pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Maybe I could make some animation stuff with blender later, and encode that
>>(from raw avi to vp6) to get an idea.
>>1280x1024 progressive would fit nice on the PC monotor :)
>>Later perhaps.
>
>I look forward to see the results. A codec as good as mpeg-1, both in
>quality (DivX? only so-so) and CPU requirements (DivX? Certainly not),
>but just made for AVI, is the ideal. I have not had the time to deal
>much with VP6, though.
I just re-made some old short raw AVI animation with Blender:
plays in mplayer:
AVI: No audio stream found -> no sound.
VIDEO: [] 1280x1024 24bpp 25.00 fps 786434.5 kbps (96000.3 kbyte/s)
No lack of bandwidth here :) and NO artifact either :)
Later I will try to use this to encode with the vp61 coder in Vdub (if it works).

>There is also Bink, http://www.radgametools.com/bnkmain.htm, but too
>proprietary in many a sense.
I am looking at that site, they claim a static binary for Linux,
but in the download section I do not see it, only the MS windows RAD tools.
For the latest SDK it pops up an email, and only for licensed customers.
I prefer a 100% Linux solution.
When this vp6.1 has encoded (may take a very long time, perhaps all night)
I will let you guys know what I think it looks like :)
JP

You can find some HDTV clips, trailers etc around the 'net if you look
around a bit.

On a sunny day (Sun, 30 May 2004 16:28:32 +1000) it happened "Damien Evans"
<guest@anon.com> wrote in <2htd8kFgr9fqU1@uni-berlin.de>:

>You can find some HDTV clips, trailers etc around the 'net if you look
>around a bit.
True, but size ... blender is a cool tool to make your own 3D looking
AVI animations.
http://www.blender.org/

JP

On a sunny day (Sun, 30 May 2004 14:37:39 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje
<984f2014e74bfa9a7697096a3c1fb038@news.teranews.com>:

>On a sunny day (Sun, 30 May 2004 15:10:59 +0200) it happened Bariloche
><bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote in
><olmjb0dm4nfhsofsdj8adf1v127i165mfb@4ax.com>:
>
>>On Sun, 30 May 2004 01:09:12 GMT, Jan Panteltje
>><pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Maybe I could make some animation stuff with blender later, and encode that
>>>(from raw avi to vp6) to get an idea.
>>>1280x1024 progressive would fit nice on the PC monotor :)
>>>Later perhaps.
>>
>>I look forward to see the results. A codec as good as mpeg-1, both in
>>quality (DivX? only so-so) and CPU requirements (DivX? Certainly not),
>>but just made for AVI, is the ideal. I have not had the time to deal
>>much with VP6, though.
>I just re-made some old short raw AVI animation with Blender:
>plays in mplayer:
>AVI: No audio stream found -> no sound.
>VIDEO: [] 1280x1024 24bpp 25.00 fps 786434.5 kbps (96000.3 kbyte/s)
>No lack of bandwidth here :) and NO artifact either :)
>Later I will try to use this to encode with the vp61 coder in Vdub (if it works).

OK vdub did not like the blender output, as no keyframes or something, so
I ran it through Linux transcode like this:
transcode -i anima40001_0190.avi -x avi -y raw -o q1.avi
That fixed the AVI, good old transcode :)
So, then in Linux Wine with Vdub 1.4.11 and this time I used
vp6 codec
simple profile
6000 kbps (because to have it on DVD (or how is this high resolution on DVD).
VBR
Here a shott 170 frames test (6.8 seconds)
Original from blender
-rwxr-xr-x 1 pante users 668472636 May 30 16:23 anima40001_0190.avi
after fixing with transcode
-rwxr-xr-x 1 pante users 668473336 May 30 18:27 q1.avi
Output of vdub vp6 simple prifile at 6000kbps
-rwxr-xr-x 1 pante users 5353472 May 30 18:35 test2-simple-vp6.avi
That is a compression of about 125 x!
And it looks very good (it is medium speed moving animation).
You can see the artifacts, but alas..
If you move away from (using 19inch monitor) the screen more then 30cm,
the viewing is acceptable (compared to source).
Need more testing :)
JP

On Sun, 30 May 2004 01:09:34 GMT, chebba@hbci.com wrote:

>Hi, I took a look at Bink. It sure sounds good reading it. Does
>anyone have an opinion to share after using it? thanks, Chebba

It encodes slowly, and generates video of very good quality. The
problem is you can only generate it with the RadTools, and only play
it with its own player. Were they to release it as a regular Vfw
codec, it could be a great option.