HDTV and Computers

Ron

I've been interested in viewing HDTV directly from a set-top cable-box
on a computer screen for some time and I seem to get a variety of
different statements of facts about whether this is possible? I
wonder if someone could set us all straight on the important aspects
of this issue?

I've read that it is not possible for video input cards to receive
HDTV composite input from a cable box because the bandwidth
requirements are too high for the video card. Is this true or are the
reasons more technical, legal, or political?

Can someone clearly and concisely state the reasons why ATI and/or
other video card manufacturers have not offered a video input card for
sale that will receive high resolution HDTV from an HD cable box?

thanks,
Ron
ps. sorry about the cross post

www.dvico.com