New Gamer (any suggestions?)

cookjei

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
I don't have any games for my computer and I'm looking to start gaming heavy. What would you suggest I start out with?

<font color=red>Urban Geek </font color=red>

athalus

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
what kind of games do you like; rpg? rts? fps? what are your computer specs?

my list is as follows;
diablo 2 w/expansion pack
sacred demo and wait like the rest of us the actual game
tron 2.0
the hobbit (cartoonish but good)
warcraft 3
command and conquer tiberian sun
my best friend loves uru (myst part whatever)

check the bargain racks if your short on cash. if your running xp you may have to do some adjustments for some of the older games though.

zemuron

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
Just wondering, I read you post and it's kinda funny

Why did you decide to start gaming heavily all of a sudden?

Did you get into vehicle accident or something and now you can't do what you were injoying anymore?

Stinkfinger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2004
Well,there is some things to take in account. First: system specs as mentioned above. If you are going to play newer games, you'll need a damn good machine.
Then you need to find out what kind of games you will be interested in. I would suggest trying demos and whatnot, to try and avoid buying games that looked good on the box but in fact actually sucked. Lots of money wasted here, believe me. Having high speed internet helps, if you want to play multiplayer games and download the demos. Im a first person shooter gamer so high speed for M.P. is imperative.
ANd depending on your age/marital status, will mom/girlfriend/wife, let you spend the time on the computer playing games? The women tend to get pretty mad when you when you dont spend that "QUALITY" time with them.
Some games i have:
Battlefield series
SPlinter Cell (waiting for Pandora Tom.)
UT Goty
UT2K4
Far Cry
StarWars JK2 & JKJA
Soldier of fortune series
Medal of Honor AA and Exp.packs
Many Many more, too many too mention.

Places i get my demos from:

http://www.gamershell.com/download_demo.shtml

www.fileplanet.com

www.gamespot.com

Confuscious say: He who go to bed with ithcy ass, wake up with stinkyfinger

cookjei

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
It's not that, its just that recently I played this game on my computer (Serious Sam) and I was surprised by the quality of the video and sound. Before this, I wouldn't dream of playing any game on my computer over a popular console like Xbox. When I built my system, I had no intention of gaming but I built it just in case I ever wanted to. So you could say, I tried to build a multi-purpose system capable of handling everything. But since I've played that game, I decided I wanted to try other games. Since I don't know too much about pc games I thought I would ask on here and get your opinions as to what the best games are. I usually gravitate towards driving games but I'm open to any suggestions. Hope that answers your question. My specs are listed below.

512MB Kingston Hyper X (PC2700)
120GB Seagate 7200rpm
Asus 128MB video
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Asus P4G8X motherboard Deluxe

CorpusBiscuit

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
FPS's I've enjoyed: Medal of Honor:Allied Assault, No One Lives Forever 2 (I haven't tried the first one), Tron 2.0, Unreal Tournament 2004, Half Life (6 years old now ?! but stands the test of time). I've heard good things about Call of Duty and Farcry, both are on my to be played list. There are more I can think of, but they aren't FPS so I don't know if you'd be interested. You should also check out the gaming websites and download demos of games you think sound interesting.

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Hey Cookjei
Unless money is no object, I suggest:

1)Try out games which were big award winners for last year and before. There are several different genre's or types of games. You can try the best from each type to see what appeals to you.

2) Go to some of the gaming sites and read the reviews to help find the names of the games you'd like to try.

3) Visit the "For Sale/Trade" forums here. I've purchased lots of used games and have never had a problem, but have saved lots of money allowing me to purchase even more games. (example, the game I've enjoyed the most was Dues Ex, it won game of the year in 2001 and I paid only $5 for it)

Anyway, my recommended games list:

Dues Ex (the original, not the Invisible War sequal)
Quake 2
System Shock 2
Star Wars Knights of The Old Republic (KoTOR)
War Craft 3
Half Life
Star Wars: Jedi Outcast
Max Paine

Barton 2500+
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
9600 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win98SE

cookjei

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Yeah, I hear HalfLife is a pretty good game. I'll start with that one. Anyone selling it?

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Oops, the "for sale/trade" forum is over at Anandtech Forums. Go here <A HREF="http://forums.anandtech.com/categories.cfm?catid=45" target="_new">http://forums.anandtech.com/categories.cfm?catid=45</A> and type in "pc game" (no quotation marks) in the search feature to see who's got what for sale.

When I'm buying items, I like to check the seller's "heatware" (sort of like a rating) and prefer that they be a member there for a while. I wouldn't expect that they would rip me off for ten bucks and risk getting kicked out of the forum.

If you have trouble finding a copy of Half Life, pm me. I've got the Platinum edition which includes about 5 games (Half Life, counter Strike and the other Half Life sequals). I'm not playing them anymore.

Barton 2500+
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
9600 Pro
Win98SE

cookjei

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Okay, I'm looking at Battlefield Vietnam. Is there anything I should look for when buying a game? With my specs, do I have the proper hardware to run this game?

P4 2.66Ghz(533FSB)
120GB Seagate 7200rpm
Asus 128MB video
Logitech Z-2200 2.1 Speaker System

CorpusBiscuit

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
What kind of video card do you have?
Oops, I guess I should pay more attention. It figures I notice it after I post.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by CorpusBiscuit on 03/25/04 06:47 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

bandikoot

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
While the graphics of NOLF are not as good as the sequel (obviously), I think it was better written and the bad guy conversations are very funny if you bother to listen and don't simply charge in and kill everyone.

As to the original question, some games I've enjoyed recently.
Call of Duty (great)
Age of Mythology Titan's expansion
Neverwinter Nights
Tron 2.0 (though not the best FPS out there)
Also, I think starcraft is more fun than WCIII, even though the graphics are dated. I've played a couple of other games, but they were console ports IIRC, so you can just play them on your x-box.

Stinkfinger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2004
If you were amazed by Serious Sam then wait till you Try Far Cry. If you like eye candy and a real fun game,then this is the game. You can shoot the fish and the birds, all the graphics are just amazing. They put alot of effort into making this game.
Since i started playing PC games, i will not touch a console.

Confuscious say: He who go to bed with ithcy ass, wake up with stinkyfinger

Caimbeul

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
FarCry but see my other post
Baldurs Gate 2 is also an all time great.

<i>Mmmm Dawn AND Eve at the same time...Drroooooll
-------------------------------------------------
<b>XP2800 Barton, 2x512Mb PC2700, ASUS A7N8X, Hercules 9800Pro 128Mb. :cool:

Snaggle

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2003
grandthief auto:vice city-endless open ended fun,civilization II,sim city 2000 or later,the sims2,alpha centauri,railroad tycoon,medal of honor...a new version of pirates in coming out,half life one and two;plus the classic turn based strategy wargames by ssi.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Try site like <A HREF="http://www.avault.com" target="_new">http://www.avault.com</A> and download game demos. Avault constantly has new ones. Try Unreal Tournament 2004.

My nephew is a fan of the movies Fast and Furious and 2 Fast 2 Furious so he wanted to preview Need for Speed: Underground. It looks amazing! It doesn't just have fast action. It actually "feels" fast! The sense of speed is incredible. It plays pretty well on my old hardware (Radeon 8500). I like the motion blur effect. In this game it seems appropriate but you can turn the effect off, actually it's off by default.

Avault has a rating system on demos but it seems you have to dig to find a game demos's rating. I only seem to find it at the game download screens.

Anyway, demos are a great way to preview games.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
what Asus video card? the rest of your system is pretty good, but the video card is VERY important :)

btw, BF Vietnam isnt that good.. go for UT2k4 (ive played both trust me!!!)

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
My nephew is a fan of the movies Fast and Furious and 2 Fast 2 Furious so he wanted to preview Need for Speed: Underground. It looks amazing! It doesn't just have fast action. It actually "feels" fast! The sense of speed is incredible. It plays pretty well on my old hardware (Radeon 8500). I like the motion blur effect. In this game it seems appropriate but you can turn the effect off, actually it's off by default.
yea that game IS quite excellent.. the motion blur is very good, suits the game (nightime driving, blurred headlights/trails) ...

i just really hated the "ricer/wigger/suburban white kid-loser" theme that it had..has stupid things like a Reputation Rating based on the stickers and mods you do to your car.. its stupid because racing is about how fast the car is, not how much you can put stickers/decals/neon lights on your honda-civic to make it look "cool". personally i think those highschool kids who do that are complete fagg0ts, wannabes driving their moms mini-van around town with 2pac rattling the trunk door off its hinges...

but the racing itself is very good

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
From the little I understand about the underground racing culture there are doers and "wanabes". Those that actually do try to disguise what they own and what they can do for as long as they can. Equates to more winnings. Reputations factor into it. The wanabes just show off.

Sometimes the real racers cross over into legitmate bracket racing. Now these people will have sponsors to defer some of th costs. The price of "free stuff" is advertising.

As for NFS:Underground, well that whole series of games never portrayed real life anyway. I've only liked about 1/2 of that series. I liked the original, hated NFS 2, liked NFS 3, hated Hot Pursuit, liked Porche Unleashed, a little, liked the demo of HP2, never saw Motor City, and now I like the demo of Underground (and my nephew keeps asking me to get it).

I still prefer Live for Speed S1 but I did like the demo of Colin McCrae (sp?) 4. Neither of which compare graphically to Underground yet they are great racing games.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>

Caimbeul

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
Other Cool Games:
MotoGP 2
Half-Life
Deus-Ex 1
GTA: Vice City
Rise of Nations
Eve on-line

<i>Mmmm Dawn AND Eve at the same time...Drroooooll
-------------------------------------------------
<b>XP2800 Barton, 2x512Mb PC2700, ASUS A7N8X, Hercules 9800Pro 128Mb. :cool:

cookjei

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
I just ordered Unreal Tournament 2004. I got to view a demo of it and I liked what I saw. Good pick?

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Caimbeul above has some good ideas to start off with regardless of there age.... so games u need to play as a new gamer in no particular order of preference: (im biased towards first person shooters by the by)

Half life+expansion packs (must have despite ageing gfx plus u get counter strike and Day of defeat and Natural selection mods, thats just naming my 3 faves)
Deus ex (tough to "get into" plus ageing gfx but gr8 game)
Medeavil Total war (rts, brill game)
Call of Duty
Medal of honour
Neverwinter Nights
Balders gate2
Freespace 1 and 2
max payne 1 and 2
starwars knights of the old republic
aliens versus predator 2
Rise of Nations
Operation Flashpoint (totally superb game had me hooked for yonks but may take some getting into)

bah!!! im forgetting loads... also if yur english or like soccer get championship manager 4.. i hate it but my brother is a soccer fan and he insults my machine (overclocked xp2600 2.25ghz, 9800xt gfx and a gig of ram) by playing just that game for fooking hours... anyway thats just a few games i can think of off the top of my head... buy from that list and u wont be dissappointed and u will be playing for ages (balders gate 2 has wot... 80+ hours gameplay alone)

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"

cookjei

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Phial, I have the Asus V9280S video card. Try the copy and paste link below and you'll see it. I just bought Unreal Tournament 2004, do you think that card will handle the graphics of that game?
http://usa.asus.com/products/vga/v9280s/overview.htm

120GB Seagate 7200rpm
Asus V9280S 128MB video
Logitech Z-2200 2.1 Speaker System

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Here, now "linkified" <A HREF="http://usa.asus.com/products/vga/v9280s/overview.htm" target="_new">http://usa.asus.com/products/vga/v9280s/overview.htm</A>

From the PR it looks to be an overclocked G4 Ti 4200 (cliams it performs between a 4400 and 4600).

That's a DX8 generation card.

Barton 2500+
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
9600 Pro
Win98SE