Netgear 11g 108 mbps PCI Card

I got my new 108 mbps router last week, and my PCI adapter arrived
yesterday. I installed the software, hooked up the card and all the lights
were green. The computer says I have a wireless network connection with
great signal strength. The problem is, none of my programs can find it. If
you go into the system to find the ip address, the default gateway is blank.

I called Netgear (in India) and after an hour of frustration, we installed
the updated driver I got off the web. That made no difference. Any ideas
on why everything would look fine, but my software won't recognize the
connection? I am looking forward to going from 11 mbps to 108!

I am running XP, service pack 2 on both of my machines. The machine that is
wired into the router works great.

Scott
4 answers Last reply
More about netgear mbps card

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 18:38:36 -0400, "Scott O" <scott609a@wowway.com>
    wrote:

    >I got my new 108 mbps router last week, and my PCI adapter arrived
    >yesterday. I installed the software, hooked up the card and all the lights
    >were green. The computer says I have a wireless network connection with
    >great signal strength. The problem is, none of my programs can find it. If
    >you go into the system to find the ip address, the default gateway is blank.

    Can you ping the router? If yes, can you tracert any internet
    machines? If no then you're not properly connected to the wireless.

    >I called Netgear (in India) and after an hour of frustration, we installed
    >the updated driver I got off the web. That made no difference. Any ideas
    >on why everything would look fine, but my software won't recognize the
    >connection? I am looking forward to going from 11 mbps to 108!

    Netgear support LOVE telling you to use the latest firmware. It is
    about the only "fix" they have. However most issues it does not fix.
    If you get angry enough they put you on to second level support who a
    MUCH more clued up.

    >I am running XP, service pack 2 on both of my machines. The machine that is
    >wired into the router works great.

    Check how you've set up your system. Is your network selection set up
    to use DCHP? What address pool is your DCHP set to pool from? If the
    connection is regarded as fine, go into your network places and find
    the IP address you have been assigned - is it from within the range
    the DCHP should pool from? If not you are probably having
    authentication problems with your security. If there is no IP address
    at all, just 0.0.0.0 then it's not really even seeing the network.

    If it appears to be authentication problems then try disabling all
    encryption and see if that works (only temporarily). Try changing the
    channel it broadcasts on. Basically just have a general fiddle with
    all the little things which might make a difference - if it works,
    bingo, if not, at least you've narrowed down where the problem might
    lie for when you next talk to "support" or post here :-)

    Good luck!

    http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6329-1058553.html found this while
    searching like you same problem very intersting fix and havent tried yet just
    foud tonight . this might be are answer.

    "Scott O" wrote:

    > I got my new 108 mbps router last week, and my PCI adapter arrived
    > yesterday. I installed the software, hooked up the card and all the lights
    > were green. The computer says I have a wireless network connection with
    > great signal strength. The problem is, none of my programs can find it. If
    > you go into the system to find the ip address, the default gateway is blank.
    >
    > I called Netgear (in India) and after an hour of frustration, we installed
    > the updated driver I got off the web. That made no difference. Any ideas
    > on why everything would look fine, but my software won't recognize the
    > connection? I am looking forward to going from 11 mbps to 108!
    >
    > I am running XP, service pack 2 on both of my machines. The machine that is
    > wired into the router works great.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > Scott

    Scott, first ditch the Level 1 guys at the standard tech help at Netgear
    (India), I too found more frustration there. Since you should already have a
    case number with them call the Level 2 support in US at 1-800-286-3922. At
    least you'll be frustrated in a closer time zone.
    Next, if you have set the WEP or WPA security, you should ensure that you
    have entered the MAC address for the PCI card with the router using Netgear's
    configuration utility. This cleared that problem for me with I installed the
    WG311T. But I'm still having problems with connection to the net when using
    a non system adminstrator account. Netgear claims that it's a Windows XP
    problem. Good luck
    puma

    "Scott O" wrote:

    > I got my new 108 mbps router last week, and my PCI adapter arrived
    > yesterday. I installed the software, hooked up the card and all the lights
    > were green. The computer says I have a wireless network connection with
    > great signal strength. The problem is, none of my programs can find it. If
    > you go into the system to find the ip address, the default gateway is blank.
    >
    > I called Netgear (in India) and after an hour of frustration, we installed
    > the updated driver I got off the web. That made no difference. Any ideas
    > on why everything would look fine, but my software won't recognize the
    > connection? I am looking forward to going from 11 mbps to 108!
    >
    > I am running XP, service pack 2 on both of my machines. The machine that is
    > wired into the router works great.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > Scott

    Netgear had me uninstall SP 2, but that did not help. Then they had me
    re-install tcp/ip. That did nothing either.

    Finally I noticed that I had a network connection called MAC Network Bridge
    that was enabled. Once I disabled it, everything started working.

    No thanks to the Netgear folks.

    Scott

    "Scott O" <scott609a@wowway.com> wrote in message
    >I got my new 108 mbps router last week, and my PCI adapter arrived
    >yesterday. I installed the software, hooked up the card and all the lights
    >were green. The computer says I have a wireless network connection with
    >great signal strength. The problem is, none of my programs can find it.
    >If you go into the system to find the ip address, the default gateway is
    >blank.
    >
    > I called Netgear (in India) and after an hour of frustration, we installed
    > the updated driver I got off the web. That made no difference. Any ideas
    > on why everything would look fine, but my software won't recognize the
    > connection? I am looking forward to going from 11 mbps to 108!
    >
    > I am running XP, service pack 2 on both of my machines. The machine that
    > is wired into the router works great.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > Scott

Wireless Networking