Netgear 11g 108 mbps PCI Card

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 21, 2004 10:38:36 PM

I got my new 108 mbps router last week, and my PCI adapter arrived
yesterday. I installed the software, hooked up the card and all the lights
were green. The computer says I have a wireless network connection with
great signal strength. The problem is, none of my programs can find it. If
you go into the system to find the ip address, the default gateway is blank.

I called Netgear (in India) and after an hour of frustration, we installed
the updated driver I got off the web. That made no difference. Any ideas
on why everything would look fine, but my software won't recognize the
connection? I am looking forward to going from 11 mbps to 108!

I am running XP, service pack 2 on both of my machines. The machine that is
wired into the router works great.

Scott
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 3:35:14 PM

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 18:38:36 -0400, "Scott O" <scott609a@wowway.com>
wrote:

>I got my new 108 mbps router last week, and my PCI adapter arrived
>yesterday. I installed the software, hooked up the card and all the lights
>were green. The computer says I have a wireless network connection with
>great signal strength. The problem is, none of my programs can find it. If
>you go into the system to find the ip address, the default gateway is blank.

Can you ping the router? If yes, can you tracert any internet
machines? If no then you're not properly connected to the wireless.

>I called Netgear (in India) and after an hour of frustration, we installed
>the updated driver I got off the web. That made no difference. Any ideas
>on why everything would look fine, but my software won't recognize the
>connection? I am looking forward to going from 11 mbps to 108!

Netgear support LOVE telling you to use the latest firmware. It is
about the only "fix" they have. However most issues it does not fix.
If you get angry enough they put you on to second level support who a
MUCH more clued up.

>I am running XP, service pack 2 on both of my machines. The machine that is
>wired into the router works great.

Check how you've set up your system. Is your network selection set up
to use DCHP? What address pool is your DCHP set to pool from? If the
connection is regarded as fine, go into your network places and find
the IP address you have been assigned - is it from within the range
the DCHP should pool from? If not you are probably having
authentication problems with your security. If there is no IP address
at all, just 0.0.0.0 then it's not really even seeing the network.

If it appears to be authentication problems then try disabling all
encryption and see if that works (only temporarily). Try changing the
channel it broadcasts on. Basically just have a general fiddle with
all the little things which might make a difference - if it works,
bingo, if not, at least you've narrowed down where the problem might
lie for when you next talk to "support" or post here :-)

Good luck!
September 23, 2004 5:47:03 AM

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6329-1058553.html found this while
searching like you same problem very intersting fix and havent tried yet just
foud tonight . this might be are answer.

"Scott O" wrote:

> I got my new 108 mbps router last week, and my PCI adapter arrived
> yesterday. I installed the software, hooked up the card and all the lights
> were green. The computer says I have a wireless network connection with
> great signal strength. The problem is, none of my programs can find it. If
> you go into the system to find the ip address, the default gateway is blank.
>
> I called Netgear (in India) and after an hour of frustration, we installed
> the updated driver I got off the web. That made no difference. Any ideas
> on why everything would look fine, but my software won't recognize the
> connection? I am looking forward to going from 11 mbps to 108!
>
> I am running XP, service pack 2 on both of my machines. The machine that is
> wired into the router works great.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Scott

September 25, 2004 9:33:02 AM

Scott, first ditch the Level 1 guys at the standard tech help at Netgear
(India), I too found more frustration there. Since you should already have a
case number with them call the Level 2 support in US at 1-800-286-3922. At
least you'll be frustrated in a closer time zone.
Next, if you have set the WEP or WPA security, you should ensure that you
have entered the MAC address for the PCI card with the router using Netgear's
configuration utility. This cleared that problem for me with I installed the
WG311T. But I'm still having problems with connection to the net when using
a non system adminstrator account. Netgear claims that it's a Windows XP
problem. Good luck
puma

"Scott O" wrote:

> I got my new 108 mbps router last week, and my PCI adapter arrived
> yesterday. I installed the software, hooked up the card and all the lights
> were green. The computer says I have a wireless network connection with
> great signal strength. The problem is, none of my programs can find it. If
> you go into the system to find the ip address, the default gateway is blank.
>
> I called Netgear (in India) and after an hour of frustration, we installed
> the updated driver I got off the web. That made no difference. Any ideas
> on why everything would look fine, but my software won't recognize the
> connection? I am looking forward to going from 11 mbps to 108!
>
> I am running XP, service pack 2 on both of my machines. The machine that is
> wired into the router works great.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Scott

Anonymous
October 10, 2004 8:47:51 PM

Netgear had me uninstall SP 2, but that did not help. Then they had me
re-install tcp/ip. That did nothing either.

Finally I noticed that I had a network connection called MAC Network Bridge
that was enabled. Once I disabled it, everything started working.

No thanks to the Netgear folks.

Scott

!