Video CD Encoder (Software or Hardware)

Hello,

Well, I have just about had it with TMPGEnc and it lack of support for
various formats.

Can someone recommend another program that will allow me to re-encode video
files for VCD output. I need one that will let me do some compression so I
can make a 1.5GB file fit on a 700MB CD. Or, maybe a hardware encoder. I
need something that is quick and easy and does a reliable and good job.

Any suggestions?

Robert

--
- Grow Your Own Dope, Plant a Politician.
5 answers Last reply

    On a sunny day (Sun, 30 May 2004 17:20:02 GMT) it happened "nospam"
    <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in <6Jouc.14031$Fo4.196155@typhoon.sonic.net>:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Well, I have just about had it with TMPGEnc and it lack of support for
    >various formats.
    >
    >Can someone recommend another program that will allow me to re-encode video
    >files for VCD output. I need one that will let me do some compression so I
    >can make a 1.5GB file fit on a 700MB CD. Or, maybe a hardware encoder. I
    >need something that is quick and easy and does a reliable and good job.
    >
    >Any suggestions?
    >
    >Robert

    Linux transcode
    Linux vcdimager
    JP

    > Hello,
    >
    > Well, I have just about had it with TMPGEnc and it lack of support for
    > various formats.
    >
    > Can someone recommend another program that will allow me to re-encode
    video
    > files for VCD output. I need one that will let me do some compression so I
    > can make a 1.5GB file fit on a 700MB CD. Or, maybe a hardware encoder. I
    > need something that is quick and easy and does a reliable and good job.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Robert

    What do you mean TMPGenc's lack of support for various formats??? It's
    probably the most compatible piece of software you can get for VCD encoding,
    and its encoding quality is just about unrivalled.

    A hardware encoder would most likely give you even more grief. How about
    volunteering some more info on what you're actually trying to do and what
    your exact problems are, and maybe someone can help you.

    Ok. Sorry should have included this. I have some avi files that simply don't
    work well with TEMPGEnc. It drops the audio when converting for VCD using
    the KVCD templates.

    What I mean by format support I guess is actually codec support. I should
    handle current codec (if you have them installed in your computer) as well
    as the most common audio formats like AC3, etc. re-coding is slow enough as
    it is without have to treat the audio separate from the video. You get to
    the point where the whole thing isn't worth the time involved especially
    when you consider that TMPGEnc doesn't multi-task worth beans. You have
    another program running while it is working and either the other program
    doesn't work worth beans. If the other program manages to work ok, then the
    re-encoding then takes 5 to 10 times as long.

    So, while TMPGEnc works ok when it works, I don't find it to be the greatest
    software I have ever used. It seems to be lacking in several areas. So this
    is why I was looking for something better.

    Nero does and ok job, but it won't let you compress a 1.5GB file down so it
    will fit on a 700MB CD and I don't want the videos broken over 2 CDs. I
    would rather suffer a bit in the quality area than to do that.

    Robert
    "Adam H" <dfghjkl@fghjkl.ur> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > Well, I have just about had it with TMPGEnc and it lack of support for
    > > various formats.
    > >
    > > Can someone recommend another program that will allow me to re-encode
    > video
    > > files for VCD output. I need one that will let me do some compression so
    > > can make a 1.5GB file fit on a 700MB CD. Or, maybe a hardware encoder. I
    > > need something that is quick and easy and does a reliable and good job.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions?
    > >
    > > Robert
    >
    > What do you mean TMPGenc's lack of support for various formats??? It's
    > probably the most compatible piece of software you can get for VCD
    encoding,
    > and its encoding quality is just about unrivalled.
    >
    > A hardware encoder would most likely give you even more grief. How about
    > volunteering some more info on what you're actually trying to do and what
    > your exact problems are, and maybe someone can help you.

    EXACTLY!!!

    I use tmpg daily for years now and nothing tops it...I tried all the
    expenisve ones (thank god for evaluation copies!)

    TMPG works perfect!

    "Adam H" <dfghjkl@fghjkl.ur> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > Well, I have just about had it with TMPGEnc and it lack of support for
    > > various formats.
    > >
    > > Can someone recommend another program that will allow me to re-encode
    > video
    > > files for VCD output. I need one that will let me do some compression so
    > > can make a 1.5GB file fit on a 700MB CD. Or, maybe a hardware encoder. I
    > > need something that is quick and easy and does a reliable and good job.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions?
    > >
    > > Robert
    >
    > What do you mean TMPGenc's lack of support for various formats??? It's
    > probably the most compatible piece of software you can get for VCD
    encoding,
    > and its encoding quality is just about unrivalled.
    >
    > A hardware encoder would most likely give you even more grief. How about
    > volunteering some more info on what you're actually trying to do and what
    > your exact problems are, and maybe someone can help you.

    Vcd is encoded at constant bitrate. So time and file size are linearly
    related.
    You don't have the option of lowering quality to decrease size while
    maintaining
    vcd compliance.

    "nospam" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Ok. Sorry should have included this. I have some avi files that simply
    don't
    > work well with TEMPGEnc. It drops the audio when converting for VCD using
    > the KVCD templates.
    >
    > What I mean by format support I guess is actually codec support. I should
    > handle current codec (if you have them installed in your computer) as well
    > as the most common audio formats like AC3, etc. re-coding is slow enough
    as
    > it is without have to treat the audio separate from the video. You get to
    > the point where the whole thing isn't worth the time involved especially
    > when you consider that TMPGEnc doesn't multi-task worth beans. You have
    > another program running while it is working and either the other program
    > doesn't work worth beans. If the other program manages to work ok, then
    the
    > re-encoding then takes 5 to 10 times as long.
    >
    > So, while TMPGEnc works ok when it works, I don't find it to be the
    greatest
    > software I have ever used. It seems to be lacking in several areas. So
    this
    > is why I was looking for something better.
    >
    > Nero does and ok job, but it won't let you compress a 1.5GB file down so
    it
    > will fit on a 700MB CD and I don't want the videos broken over 2 CDs. I
    > would rather suffer a bit in the quality area than to do that.
    >
    > Robert
    > "Adam H" <dfghjkl@fghjkl.ur> wrote in message
    > > > Hello,
    > > >
    > > > Well, I have just about had it with TMPGEnc and it lack of support for
    > > > various formats.
    > > >
    > > > Can someone recommend another program that will allow me to re-encode
    > > video
    > > > files for VCD output. I need one that will let me do some compression
    so
    > > > can make a 1.5GB file fit on a 700MB CD. Or, maybe a hardware encoder.
    > > > need something that is quick and easy and does a reliable and good
    job.

    > > > Any suggestions?
    > > >
    > > > Robert
    > >
    > > What do you mean TMPGenc's lack of support for various formats??? It's
    > > probably the most compatible piece of software you can get for VCD
    > encoding,
    > > and its encoding quality is just about unrivalled.
    > >
    > > A hardware encoder would most likely give you even more grief. How about
    > > volunteering some more info on what you're actually trying to do and
    what
    > > your exact problems are, and maybe someone can help you.

Tuner Cards Hardware Video CD-Rom Graphics