sound effects program for video editing?

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.dvd.video.software (More info?)

When editing a video it can be useful to add sound effects in real
time while watching the video.
I was wondering if there was a program that allows you to assign
sounds to certain keys on the keyboard such as a car horn, etc. When
playing back the video it would be easier to press a key on the
keyboard and have the sound recorded on a audio track of the video.

Does anyone know of a program that would store sound from wav or mp3
files to certain keys on the keyboard for short sound effects?
It should walk with the narration track in the timeline as sounds can
be recorded in real time.

Far as I know there isn't a video editor that allows sound effects to
be activated by pressinf certain keys on the keyboard.

Regards Brian

Brian wrote:

> When editing a video it can be useful to add sound effects in real
> time while watching the video.
> I was wondering if there was a program that allows you to assign
> sounds to certain keys on the keyboard such as a car horn, etc. When
> playing back the video it would be easier to press a key on the
> keyboard and have the sound recorded on a audio track of the video.
>
> Does anyone know of a program that would store sound from wav or mp3
> files to certain keys on the keyboard for short sound effects?
> It should walk with the narration track in the timeline as sounds can
> be recorded in real time.
>
> Far as I know there isn't a video editor that allows sound effects to
> be activated by pressinf certain keys on the keyboard.
>
> Regards Brian

Your probably correct, as there is no program like this..

However, a more important question would be, "..why?"

Even if there were a way to place them in by tapping your keyboard,
there's no way they are going to line up exactly where you need them.
While watching the video, your brain has to signal your thought process
that it's time to add a sound, then your thought process has to think
about what key to hit, then your brain has to signal your hand, and then
it takes milliseconds for the finger to come down, and a couple of
milliseconds for the computer to place the actual sound on it.. :)

I recently worked on a short where there was over 130 sound effects
(more than keys on a keyboard I might add), and it was a painstaking
process to go over the time line and adjust each sound moving it over
frames at a time, until it sounded right. So, adding sound in, is more
of a very fine tuning process if you ask me.

-Richard

On Mon, 31 May 2004 23:44:36 +1200, Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote:

>When editing a video it can be useful to add sound effects in real
>time while watching the video.
>I was wondering if there was a program that allows you to assign
>sounds to certain keys on the keyboard such as a car horn, etc. When
>playing back the video it would be easier to press a key on the
>keyboard and have the sound recorded on a audio track of the video.
>
>Does anyone know of a program that would store sound from wav or mp3
>files to certain keys on the keyboard for short sound effects?
>It should walk with the narration track in the timeline as sounds can
>be recorded in real time.
>
>Far as I know there isn't a video editor that allows sound effects to
>be activated by pressinf certain keys on the keyboard.

No video editing app I know will do that. You can, however, set
markers where you want the sound effects, then after all are set, put
the files in place there.

If you have an MIDI/audio sequencing program like Sonar which will
load AVI files, you can use the MIDI synth (and possibly the MIDI
keyboard -- there are utils to use a PC keyboard as MIDI input) to
generate sound effects. While you're at it, you can also do the music
scoring too ;-)

One issue with any "real time" recording is that most video editors
grab much of the system resources, and may not allow for any recording
-- or live commands of any kind -- while the video mix plays back.
Pushing out several audio and video streams with effects and such uses
a lot of CPU time. It is a bit much to expect it to allow any other
app/plugin to interact with its timeline live, in real time.

An audio program, though, can do the trick -- playing back one video
stream while recording (no video effects), especially with just a
small window for output, wouldn't be a big deal.

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.dvd.video.software (More info?)

This is easy to do and is done quite often.

you use a MIDI keyboard and a hardware or software sampler. Load in your
samples, assigne them to keys and play away..

Many editors will record at least 1 track while you are playing back in
the timeline.

You can record right into the NLE or make a AVI or QT file of your movie
and play it in the audio sequencing app llike ProTools, Nuendo.. etc.. In
this app you can control your sampler, MIDI and record audio to picture.

The key is that the samples are triggered through MIDI. Record either in
the NLE or your audio app.

Richard Ragon <bsema04NOSPAM@hanaho.com> wrote:

>Brian wrote:
>
>> When editing a video it can be useful to add sound effects in real
>> time while watching the video.
>> I was wondering if there was a program that allows you to assign
>> sounds to certain keys on the keyboard such as a car horn, etc. When
>> playing back the video it would be easier to press a key on the
>> keyboard and have the sound recorded on a audio track of the video.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a program that would store sound from wav or mp3
>> files to certain keys on the keyboard for short sound effects?
>> It should walk with the narration track in the timeline as sounds can
>> be recorded in real time.
>>
>> Far as I know there isn't a video editor that allows sound effects to
>> be activated by pressinf certain keys on the keyboard.
>>
>> Regards Brian
>
>Your probably correct, as there is no program like this..
>
>However, a more important question would be, "..why?"
>
>Even if there were a way to place them in by tapping your keyboard,
>there's no way they are going to line up exactly where you need them.
>While watching the video, your brain has to signal your thought process
>that it's time to add a sound, then your thought process has to think
>about what key to hit, then your brain has to signal your hand, and then
>it takes milliseconds for the finger to come down, and a couple of
>milliseconds for the computer to place the actual sound on it.. :)
>
>I recently worked on a short where there was over 130 sound effects
>(more than keys on a keyboard I might add), and it was a painstaking
>process to go over the time line and adjust each sound moving it over
>frames at a time, until it sounded right. So, adding sound in, is more
>of a very fine tuning process if you ask me.
>
>-Richard

Thanks for your feedback Richard.
I was thinking of sound effects that don't need exact timing such as a
car horn sounding as a car passes by.
If needed then the sounds could be lined up to match the picture after
the sounds have been put on he sound track.

Like video games timing comes with practice.

Regards Brian

Brian wrote:

> Richard Ragon <bsema04NOSPAM@hanaho.com> wrote:
>

> Thanks for your feedback Richard.
> I was thinking of sound effects that don't need exact timing such as a
> car horn sounding as a car passes by.
> If needed then the sounds could be lined up to match the picture after
> the sounds have been put on he sound track.
>
> Like video games timing comes with practice.
>
> Regards Brian

Greetings Brian,

I thought about this some more.. The only thing that I can think of
would be to set up a complex set of systems where you have one system
playing the movie, and another system capturing the sound. Then plug in
a sound effects mixer between the two systems.

Something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21166&item=3818005117&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Then once your done "dubbing" the system, simply take the new sound
file, and exchange it and marry it to the old video. You can do this
with VirtualDub, ect.

The systems can be two separate computers, or a video playback (DVD
player) and a computer. or..

Of coarse this could get really complex, and ugly. :)

-Richard

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.dvd.video.software (More info?)

or use a sampler
or use ProTools, Nuendo, Sonar.. etc..

This is done all the time.

"Richard Ragon" <bsema04NOSPAM@hanaho.com> wrote in message
> Brian wrote:
>
> > Richard Ragon <bsema04NOSPAM@hanaho.com> wrote:
> >

> > Thanks for your feedback Richard.
> > I was thinking of sound effects that don't need exact timing such as a
> > car horn sounding as a car passes by.
> > If needed then the sounds could be lined up to match the picture after
> > the sounds have been put on he sound track.
> >
> > Like video games timing comes with practice.
> >
> > Regards Brian
>
> Greetings Brian,
>
> I thought about this some more.. The only thing that I can think of
> would be to set up a complex set of systems where you have one system
> playing the movie, and another system capturing the sound. Then plug in
> a sound effects mixer between the two systems.
>
> Something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21166&item=3818005117&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

> Then once your done "dubbing" the system, simply take the new sound
> file, and exchange it and marry it to the old video. You can do this
> with VirtualDub, ect.
>
> The systems can be two separate computers, or a video playback (DVD
> player) and a computer. or..
>
> Of coarse this could get really complex, and ugly. :)
>
> -Richard

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.dvd.video.software (More info?)

ProTools lets you push a button adding in sounds while its playing realtime?

Haven't tried Protools, for some odd reason, I must be the only one who
can't install it on my PC or Mac?

-Richard

> ProTools lets you push a button adding in sounds while its playing
realtime?

> Haven't tried Protools, for some odd reason, I must be the only one who
> can't install it on my PC or Mac?
>
> -Richard

Any audio recorder will record samplers. You can either use a hardware
sampler or a plugin sampler.

nappy wrote:

> "Richard Ragon" <bsema04NOSPAM@hanaho.com> wrote in message
>
>>ProTools lets you push a button adding in sounds while its playing
>
> realtime?
>
>>Haven't tried Protools, for some odd reason, I must be the only one who
>>can't install it on my PC or Mac?
>>
>>-Richard
>>

> Any audio recorder will record samplers. You can either use a hardware
> sampler or a plugin sampler.

Yeah.. but I suspected that it's not the ProTools itself that lets you
set up keys on your keyboard to use as "hot keys" for sound. ProTools is
only used as the means to record a new track with the new sounds.

Thanks
-Richard