Looking for a capture card that does both NTSC and PAL

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 1, 2004 4:40:26 AM

I'm looking for a video capture card that will capture both NTSC and PAL
formats. I have a number of older VHS tapes that I want to transfer onto DVD,
but some tapes are in NTSC and some tapes are in PAL. I have both a PAL VCR
and a separate NTSC VCR.

Many capture cards claim to do NTSC or PAL, but the card you get depends on
the region that you live in. I live in North America, and all the shops that
I've checked so far simply don't carry the PAL version of any capture card.

I'm even thinking of getting two separate capture cards, one for NTSC and one
for PAL, but I would have to mail order the PAL card from overseas.

Is there an easier solution? Are there any cards that I can buy in North
America that will support BOTH standards?

--Tom.

More about : capture card ntsc pal

Anonymous
June 1, 2004 3:55:07 PM

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 00:40:26 GMT, tom8192@hotmail.com (Tom) wrote:

>I'm looking for a video capture card that will capture both NTSC and PAL

Hi from Europe. Buy your card here, where cards support both NTSC and
PAL. Same with TV sets and VCR/DVD players. We can see both systems.

Mine is an AIW (Sapphire Radeon 9000), and I capture both.
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 3:21:22 AM

Tom <tom8192@hotmail.com> wrote:
: I'm looking for a video capture card that will capture both NTSC and PAL
: formats. I have a number of older VHS tapes that I want to transfer onto DVD,

Lifeview's FlyVideo 3000FM does everything: PAL, NTSC, SECAM you name it.
Basically any TV Tuner card based on Philips or Conexant chipsets should be
able to capture in all standards for composite and S-video. However, the TV
tuner itself is only for your specific region.

Check out www.lifeview.com.

--Leonid
June 3, 2004 12:15:46 AM

> Lifeview's FlyVideo 3000FM does everything: PAL, NTSC, SECAM you name it.
> Basically any TV Tuner card based on Philips or Conexant chipsets should
be
> able to capture in all standards for composite and S-video. However, the
TV
> tuner itself is only for your specific region.

I've got a Leadtek TV 2000XP which uses a Conexant chip and it definitely
only works with PAL. Screen is totally skewed and colors are messed up no
matter what software/settings I use for NTSC...
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 12:15:47 AM

> I've got a Leadtek TV 2000XP which uses a Conexant chip and it definitely
> only works with PAL. Screen is totally skewed and colors are messed up no
> matter what software/settings I use for NTSC...

Have you tried with a "real" NTSC source? A lot of PAL equipment that claims
to output NTSC actually outputs this weird PAL 60 hybrid format, that very
few capture cards can handle.
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 4:08:20 AM

Damien Smith <guest@anon.com> wrote:
: I've got a Leadtek TV 2000XP which uses a Conexant chip and it definitely
: only works with PAL. Screen is totally skewed and colors are messed up no
: matter what software/settings I use for NTSC...

Is it Fusion BT 878 or latest Conexant? Regardless, you should try to change
it in driver's settings, not in software. Or try to load the drivers from
Jose Eduardo.

--Leonid
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 4:08:21 AM

> Damien Smith wrote:
> I've got a Leadtek TV 2000XP which uses a Conexant chip
> and it definitely only works with PAL. Screen is totally skewed
> and colors are messed up no matter what software/settings
> I use for NTSC...

Are you using a VCR that plays *REAL* NTSC, or is it the
bastardized European "PAL-60" pseudo-PAL? PAL-60 can
be played on many (most?) European PAL TV receivers/monitors,
but it is not supported by ANY capture card that I have ever heard
of.
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 5:17:33 PM

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 19:26:43 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
<rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:

>Are you using a VCR that plays *REAL* NTSC, or is it the
>bastardized European "PAL-60" pseudo-PAL? PAL-60 can
>be played on many (most?) European PAL TV receivers/monitors,
>but it is not supported by ANY capture card that I have ever heard
>of.

Some capture cards support PAL-60 according to this thread:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?&threadid=75640

Arachnotron writes:

PAL-60 is NTSC with the chroma part converted to PAL (both encoding and
subcarrier frequency, 4.43 MHz). All timing remains NTSC.

All chips I have seen so far can do this, but most drivers won't let
you.

PAL-60 capable cards up untill now:

- BT878 with BTWincap, but this needs additional tweaking with BTtweak
because of a timing error;
- SAA7134 based cards (works very well)
- some ATI AIW models (don't know which)

So the cheapest solution apart from waiting for new drivers would be to
buy a Philips SAA7134 based TV card and use that. Terratec and Asus both
make one. Expect about EUR 60.
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 10:10:00 PM

"erratic" <erratic@reply-to.address> wrote in message
> On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 19:26:43 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
> <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:
>
> >Are you using a VCR that plays *REAL* NTSC, or is it the
> >bastardized European "PAL-60" pseudo-PAL? PAL-60 can
> >be played on many (most?) European PAL TV receivers/monitors,
> >but it is not supported by ANY capture card that I have ever heard
> >of.
>
> Some capture cards support PAL-60 according to this thread:
> http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?&threadid=75640
>
> Arachnotron writes:
>
> PAL-60 is NTSC with the chroma part converted to PAL (both encoding and
> subcarrier frequency, 4.43 MHz). All timing remains NTSC.
>
> All chips I have seen so far can do this, but most drivers won't let
> you.
>
> PAL-60 capable cards up untill now:
>
> - BT878 with BTWincap, but this needs additional tweaking with BTtweak
> because of a timing error;
> - SAA7134 based cards (works very well)
> - some ATI AIW models (don't know which)
>
> So the cheapest solution apart from waiting for new drivers would be to
> buy a Philips SAA7134 based TV card and use that. Terratec and Asus both
> make one. Expect about EUR 60.
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 10:11:31 PM

"erratic" <erratic@reply-to.address> wrote in message

> Some capture cards support PAL-60 according to this thread:
> http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?&threadid=75640
>
> Arachnotron writes:
>
> PAL-60 is NTSC with the chroma part converted to PAL (both encoding and
> subcarrier frequency, 4.43 MHz). All timing remains NTSC.
>
> All chips I have seen so far can do this, but most drivers won't let
> you.
>
> PAL-60 capable cards up untill now:
>
> - BT878 with BTWincap, but this needs additional tweaking with BTtweak
> because of a timing error;
> - SAA7134 based cards (works very well)
> - some ATI AIW models (don't know which)
>
> So the cheapest solution apart from waiting for new drivers would be to
> buy a Philips SAA7134 based TV card and use that. Terratec and Asus both
> make one. Expect about EUR 60.

Has anyone submitted this info to VideoHelp.com?
It seems to be a FAQ from folk on the right shore
of The Pond.
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 10:34:26 PM

> > Damien Smith wrote:
> > I've got a Leadtek TV 2000XP which uses a Conexant chip
> > and it definitely only works with PAL. Screen is totally skewed
> > and colors are messed up no matter what software/settings
> > I use for NTSC...
>
> Are you using a VCR that plays *REAL* NTSC, or is it the
> bastardized European "PAL-60" pseudo-PAL? PAL-60 can
> be played on many (most?) European PAL TV receivers/monitors,
> but it is not supported by ANY capture card that I have ever heard
> of.

Yes, I'm using a real NTSC source. The card itself has a sticker on it with
a box for PAL NTSC etc and the PAL box is ticked indicating that there is
some difference in hardware or at least firmware with the cards. It may be
possible to use NTSC with hacked drivers (haven't tried that yet)
!