video length for SVCD on 700MB CD?

I'm planning to convert some DV home video to SVCD CDs. I'd like to know
what the longest length you can have in order to create SVCD on 700MB CDs?
25 minutes? I remember I could fit a 800MB SVCD-compliant MPEG2 file to a
SVCD CD.

Tools to plan to use
Sorenson Squeeze 3.5 with its SVCD NTSC Large preset (VBR, 2424kb/sec)
VCDEasy to create SVCD image
Nero 6.3 to burn SVCD CDs

Thanks for any suggestions,

cpliu

On 1 Jun 2004 02:13:47 GMT, cpliu <chanciusliuDeleteThis@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I'm planning to convert some DV home video to SVCD CDs. I'd like to know
>what the longest length you can have in order to create SVCD on 700MB CDs?
>25 minutes? I remember I could fit a 800MB SVCD-compliant MPEG2 file to a
>SVCD CD.
>
>Tools to plan to use
>Sorenson Squeeze 3.5 with its SVCD NTSC Large preset (VBR, 2424kb/sec)
>VCDEasy to create SVCD image
>Nero 6.3 to burn SVCD CDs
>
>Thanks for any suggestions,
>

>cpliu
Just use VBR and squeeze as much as you can.
I've put 90 minute clips on svcd before, but it's pushing it.
Anything less should be a breeze.

To make it fit, I tend to lower the audio bitrate to perhaps
112 joint stereo (for example). This gives me more bits for the
video.

According to the bitrate calculator FitCD, for 90 minutes, audio
@ 112, I'd use tmpgenc 2-pass vbr and set average bitrate to 1104
(that's the important number) and set the min to a little less,
800 or so. The max you can leave as-is, or raise it a little.

Dave

On 1 Jun 2004 02:13:47 GMT, cpliu <chanciusliuDeleteThis@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I'm planning to convert some DV home video to SVCD CDs. I'd like to know
>what the longest length you can have in order to create SVCD on 700MB CDs?

>25 minutes? I remember I could fit a 800MB SVCD-compliant MPEG2 file to a

>SVCD CD.

<http://www.videohelp.com/svcd#comp>

It all depends on the quality you seek. I can just fit a one hour TV show
(commercials snipped = ~43 minutes) on a SVCD (800MB CDR) with decent
quality. I normally keep the audio at 224Kb/s MPEG-1, Layer II and adjust
the video bitrate (2+pass VBR) to just barely fill the CDR (use a bitrate
calculator).

Any longer than that and you have to drop the bitrate to a point where VCD
is probably a better bet.

Thank you all for the information and link. I'd like to stick with my
bitrate because it looks great. I used TMPEnc to create smaller ones but it
does not work well if there is too much motion in it.

A better question becomes: what is the biggest SVCD compliant MPEG2 can you
fit on a 700MB CD-R? I read somewhere it's 760MB but I definitely remember
I got a 800MB MPEG2 fit on a SVCD before. I read 820MB somewhere too. Is
there a definite number on this?

If I know the exact size, I can calculate the length of video based on my
bitrate. Then, I can edit my video to the exact length in the future
without wasting the space on CD (or without making MPEG2 that won't fit on
a CD).

Thanks again for the help,

cpliu