PAL DV -> NTSC VCD woes

I videod my hols (PAL DV) and made a great PAL DVD, but I want to make
an NTSC VCD for my relos OS. I opened the project in MediaStudio and
chose "create vcd" for an NTSC VCD then burnt it but it looks awful
(yes, my TV and DVD play both PAL/NTSC). *Lots* of artefacting and it
has lots of horizontal bands. It doesn't look too bad in WMP on the PC
though.

I even tried "convert video file" on the mpeg2 but got the same results.

It has been a while since I have toyed with VCD and I have forgotten
lots. What is the best way around this? Is this pointless as I have
recorded in PAL DV? Is this a problem with my TV/DVD?

I have kept the original project file, the PAL mpeg and have a PAL DVD.

Thanks in advance.
R.
4 answers Last reply
More about ntsc woes

    Mike Echo <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    >I videod my hols (PAL DV) and made a great PAL DVD, but I want to make
    >an NTSC VCD for my relos OS. I opened the project in MediaStudio and
    >chose "create vcd" for an NTSC VCD then burnt it but it looks awful
    >(yes, my TV and DVD play both PAL/NTSC). *Lots* of artefacting and it
    >has lots of horizontal bands. It doesn't look too bad in WMP on the PC
    >though.
    >
    >I even tried "convert video file" on the mpeg2 but got the same results.
    >
    >It has been a while since I have toyed with VCD and I have forgotten
    >lots. What is the best way around this? Is this pointless as I have
    >recorded in PAL DV? Is this a problem with my TV/DVD?

    Since you say it looks OK on the PC, I suspect your player is having
    difficulty reading the CD. If you used a CD-R, try a CD-RW instead.

    On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 13:55:20 +1000, Mike Echo <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    >I videod my hols (PAL DV) and made a great PAL DVD, but I want to make
    >an NTSC VCD for my relos OS. I opened the project in MediaStudio and
    >chose "create vcd" for an NTSC VCD then burnt it but it looks awful
    >(yes, my TV and DVD play both PAL/NTSC). *Lots* of artefacting and it
    >has lots of horizontal bands. It doesn't look too bad in WMP on the PC
    >though.
    >
    >I even tried "convert video file" on the mpeg2 but got the same results.
    >
    >It has been a while since I have toyed with VCD and I have forgotten
    >lots. What is the best way around this? Is this pointless as I have
    >recorded in PAL DV? Is this a problem with my TV/DVD?

    Since you're just making a VCD, you could probably do the
    conversion in AVISynth without too much trouble. Offhand, the way I'd
    tackle it is to write a script like this one:

    AVISource("DRIVE:\PAL_Holiday_Viddy.avi")
    AssumeFPS(23.976,sync_audio=true)
    ResampleAudio(44100)
    LanczosResize(352,240)
    ConvertToRGB

    I'd then load this into TMPGenc and use the NTSC Film VCD template in
    the wizard and let it encode. The only side effect of all this is
    that your interlaced PAL video will now look like it was shot on film
    (and it will be running 4% slower), but you should avoid the general
    nastiness of trying to convert interlaced PAL video into
    non-interlaced NTSC.

    Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
    I have no fears in life,
    for I have already survived Theta-G!

    In article <0mh1c09e9h7kikreoqnuacbqamnrpp2qjr@4ax.com>, arvy@navzr-
    genafyngbe.pbz says...

    > On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 13:55:20 +1000, Mike Echo <me@privacy.net> wrote:
    >
    > >I videod my hols (PAL DV) and made a great PAL DVD, but I want to make
    > >an NTSC VCD for my relos OS. I opened the project in MediaStudio and
    > >chose "create vcd" for an NTSC VCD then burnt it but it looks awful
    > >(yes, my TV and DVD play both PAL/NTSC). *Lots* of artefacting and it
    > >has lots of horizontal bands. It doesn't look too bad in WMP on the PC
    > >though.
    > >
    > >I even tried "convert video file" on the mpeg2 but got the same results.
    > >
    > >It has been a while since I have toyed with VCD and I have forgotten
    > >lots. What is the best way around this? Is this pointless as I have
    > >recorded in PAL DV? Is this a problem with my TV/DVD?
    >
    > Since you're just making a VCD, you could probably do the
    > conversion in AVISynth without too much trouble. Offhand, the way I'd
    > tackle it is to write a script like this one:
    >
    > AVISource("DRIVE:\PAL_Holiday_Viddy.avi")
    > AssumeFPS(23.976,sync_audio=true)
    > ResampleAudio(44100)
    > LanczosResize(352,240)
    > ConvertToRGB
    >
    > I'd then load this into TMPGenc and use the NTSC Film VCD template in
    > the wizard and let it encode. The only side effect of all this is
    > that your interlaced PAL video will now look like it was shot on film
    > (and it will be running 4% slower), but you should avoid the general
    > nastiness of trying to convert interlaced PAL video into
    > non-interlaced NTSC.

    Thanks, Neil, I will give this a go. I think I got around it after
    hunting down some tools. The VCD looks like a legit NTSC one and plays
    well on our multistandard dvd and tv. I did this:

    Run the VOBs through DVD2AVI to get a .dv2 file
    Extract the audio to mp2
    BeSweet to slow the audio down
    Encoded .dv2 and slowed audio as NTSC in TmpegEnc.

    I will still try your method just as a learning experience. I am happy
    with the quality of the result, just hope it works overseas and I
    haven't missed something. I tried wsola.exe but got nowhere as the .wav
    was +500mb and it ran out of buffer.

    Thanks again,
    R.

    In article <0mh1c09e9h7kikreoqnuacbqamnrpp2qjr@4ax.com>, arvy@navzr-
    genafyngbe.pbz says...

    > >It has been a while since I have toyed with VCD and I have forgotten
    > >lots. What is the best way around this? Is this pointless as I have
    > >recorded in PAL DV? Is this a problem with my TV/DVD?
    >
    > Since you're just making a VCD, you could probably do the
    > conversion in AVISynth without too much trouble. Offhand, the way I'd
    > tackle it is to write a script like this one:
    >
    > AVISource("DRIVE:\PAL_Holiday_Viddy.avi")
    > AssumeFPS(23.976,sync_audio=true)
    > ResampleAudio(44100)
    > LanczosResize(352,240)
    > ConvertToRGB
    >
    > I'd then load this into TMPGenc and use the NTSC Film VCD template in
    > the wizard and let it encode. The only side effect of all this is
    > that your interlaced PAL video will now look like it was shot on film
    > (and it will be running 4% slower), but you should avoid the general
    > nastiness of trying to convert interlaced PAL video into
    > non-interlaced NTSC.

    If I use the 23.976 (film) rate, will it have any problems on an NTSC
    system? I thought NTSC was 29.97? I'm getting confused. I am not really
    worried if it runs a little slower, the main thing is that it works. I'd
    hate to send six copies OS only to find I get a phone call saying "they
    don't work". :-)

    Thanks Neil,
    R.

Tuner Cards DVD VCD Video Graphics