moviemaker question - strip out audio?

May 9, 2005 3:29:23 PM

Hi, new to movie maker and have a question and hopefully there is a
simple answer.

i've got an mpg i captured from a home video. I'd like to replace the
audio in a few spots, with audio from another spot in the same mpg.

is there a way in Windows MovieMaker to sort of strip out the audio in
one clip, or replace it? and how about capture or even extract the
audio from another clip and even save it as an audio file? can that be
done?

thanks for any replies
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 6:46:11 PM

What you need to do is select the audio part of the clip so it's
highlighted. Go to the part of the clip that you want to COPY, at the 1st
part of it, put the thing that you can drag (in the seconds part of the time
line, blue vertical line) and press CTRL+L, or click split (in the preview
area), then move to the end of the part you want to copy and split that
part, then copy it (CTRL+C). Then move the vertical blue line to the place
where you want to paste that clip and split it. Then paste the clip
(CTRL+V). During all this make sure the audio stream is selected or else
you'll split the video stream. Then you can trim the video to make it sync
with the audio.
As far as extracting audio from a video file, WMM2 can't do that (that I
know of). I use Cool Edit Pro to do that.
Let me know if this helps.
W.D.
"PeeVee_Hermann" <edwardapplejacksmith@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Hi, new to movie maker and have a question and hopefully there is a
> simple answer.
>
> i've got an mpg i captured from a home video. I'd like to replace the
> audio in a few spots, with audio from another spot in the same mpg.
>
> is there a way in Windows MovieMaker to sort of strip out the audio in
> one clip, or replace it? and how about capture or even extract the
> audio from another clip and even save it as an audio file? can that be
> done?
>
> thanks for any replies

Anonymous
May 9, 2005 8:15:38 PM

On Mon, 9 May 2005 14:46:11 -0500, "W.D. Parker"
<skydiverwd@hotmail.com> wrote:

> What you need to do is select the audio part of the clip so it's
>highlighted. Go to the part of the clip that you want to COPY, at the 1st
>part of it, put the thing that you can drag (in the seconds part of the time
>line, blue vertical line) and press CTRL+L, or click split (in the preview
>area), then move to the end of the part you want to copy and split that
>part, then copy it (CTRL+C). Then move the vertical blue line to the place
>where you want to paste that clip and split it. Then paste the clip
>(CTRL+V). During all this make sure the audio stream is selected or else
>you'll split the video stream. Then you can trim the video to make it sync
>with the audio.
> As far as extracting audio from a video file, WMM2 can't do that (that I
>know of). I use Cool Edit Pro to do that.
>Let me know if this helps.

thanks

i wonder, after i copy the audio, i could open an audio editor, create
new file and paste it..... then save as wav or something.... you ever
tried that?
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 9:06:14 PM

I've never tried that.