Counting edits from DVD source?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 1, 2004 5:40:14 PM

Hi,

I'm in another strange video related situation. I am doing some research on
some standard films available on DVD. What I need to do is count home many
edits are present in the whole film. Obviously this is a rather arduous
task. I am wondering if there is a piece of software (possibly a DV
capturing programme?) that can scan an AVI file and determine each time
there is an edit, i.e where two shots substantially change?

Does this sound possible, or is it just back to the stop watch for me?

Take care,

Simon Howson
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 7:18:57 PM

"Simon Howson" <simonhowson@NOSPAMyahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm in another strange video related situation. I am doing some research
on
> some standard films available on DVD. What I need to do is count home many
> edits are present in the whole film. Obviously this is a rather arduous
> task. I am wondering if there is a piece of software (possibly a DV
> capturing programme?) that can scan an AVI file and determine each time
> there is an edit, i.e where two shots substantially change?
>
> Does this sound possible, or is it just back to the stop watch for me?

Many video editing programs have 'scene detection' (usually at the
capture stage) which will more-or-less do what you want.
"Scenalyzer" has a good rep. It isn't free, but the trial version should
be ok for your requirements:
http://www.scenalyzer.com/main.html
HTH
--