Using AOL - AARGH!! - Was wondering about DVD minimum burn..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 2, 2004 5:13:55 AM

I run a 733-p3 with 384mb memory and 7200rpm HD Seagate. The box says P3-933
with 128mb memory (256 rec) and 5400rpm HD. Should I be able to slide by with
my config? My TV-card said a p3-450 could capture at MPEG2 rates at 640x480,
and just learned how to do it - change my screen resolution to 640x480 @ 60hz
which is NTSC standard so the p3 processor would not have to display the output
at 1024x768 and also encode at 640x480 at the same time - maybe a p4 could do
it, but I finally learned how - without benefit of a booklet instructing me.
So I was wondering if the burners are about the same type of thing - they come
out when the p3 was King and now they just add thoughts as to what is needed
becaus people have newer machines, or can I learn how to use that box on my
machine if I piddle with it? It is extremely cheap - $49.95 after rebate.

Any thought?
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 5:27:36 AM

"EFFIESaint" <effiesaint@aol.com> wrote in message
> I run a 733-p3 with 384mb memory and 7200rpm HD Seagate. The box says
P3-933
> with 128mb memory (256 rec) and 5400rpm HD. Should I be able to slide by
with
> my config? My TV-card said a p3-450 could capture at MPEG2 rates at
640x480,
> and just learned how to do it - change my screen resolution to 640x480 @
60hz
> which is NTSC standard so the p3 processor would not have to display the
output
> at 1024x768 and also encode at 640x480 at the same time - maybe a p4 could
do
> it, but I finally learned how - without benefit of a booklet instructing
me.
> So I was wondering if the burners are about the same type of thing - they
come
> out when the p3 was King and now they just add thoughts as to what is
needed
> becaus people have newer machines, or can I learn how to use that box on
my
> machine if I piddle with it? It is extremely cheap - $49.95 after rebate.
>
> Any thought?

I'm having a little trouble parsing your post but a software encoder is
unlikely to reliably encode MPEG-2 on a p3-733 at 640x480.
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 5:46:23 AM

I know AOL messages may seem strange. It is because AOL by default runs
newsgroups in a way that if one wants a text message - one gets a text meassage
- in other words a thread.

What I meant is this

I have an older machine called a P3. My first machine was a Timex/Sinclair
1000.
That means nothing - except the Timex Sinclair could output to the tv.

I just know that heavans is not against an aol subscriber I would like to know
!