It's backwards compatible.
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

"j" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1c2e01c5559d$ccf6cd00$a401280a@phx.gbl...
>I have media player 10 but it syas i need 9

Rodney

i have some .avi files that play on WMP9 running under windows98 but not on
WMP10 under XP. they run with sound only using standard background. Any
ideas???????

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> It's backwards compatible.
> --
> Cari
> (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
>
> "j" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have media player 10 but it syas i need 9

On Wed, 11 May 2005 01:11:10 -0700, rodney
<rodney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>i have some .avi files that play on WMP9 running under windows98 but not on
>WMP10 under XP. they run with sound only using standard background. Any
>ideas???????

you are missing a codec. I suspect somehow your older system, you had
installed the codec (perhaps without your knowing) and your new
system, does not have the codec.

Do a Google, there are codec websites available.

Heres a good one

http://www.codec-download.com

There's also some mini-program that will analyze a file that wont
play, tell you what codecs you need, so you can search specifically
for that codec. I cant remember the name of the program but I'm sure a
search will turn it up.