moviemaker cant import .avi file - get codec?

I've got an .avi file and windows moviemaker cant import it, says it
doesnt have the right codec.

Is there a website where codecs for moviemaker are available for
download?

thanks

On Wed, 11 May 2005 09:28:17 -0400, PeeVee_Hermann
<edwardapplejacksmith@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I've got an .avi file and windows moviemaker cant import it, says it
>doesnt have the right codec.
>
>Is there a website where codecs for moviemaker are available for
>download?
>
>thanks

never mind, found it, carry on

MM works best with dv-avi files, do you know which sort yours is? If it's
from a web download it's probably divx which won't work. You can use gspot
to find out which sort it is.
See here for a link
http://www.myvideoproblems.com/Web%20Pages/UsefulProgrammes.htm

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"PeeVee_Hermann" <edwardapplejacksmith@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 11 May 2005 09:28:17 -0400, PeeVee_Hermann
> <edwardapplejacksmith@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>I've got an .avi file and windows moviemaker cant import it, says it
>>doesnt have the right codec.
>>
>>Is there a website where codecs for moviemaker are available for
>>download?
>>
>>thanks
>>

> never mind, found it, carry on