moviemaker cant import .avi file - get codec?

I've got an .avi file and windows moviemaker cant import it, says it
doesnt have the right codec.

Is there a website where codecs for moviemaker are available for
download?

thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about moviemaker import file codec

    On Wed, 11 May 2005 09:28:17 -0400, PeeVee_Hermann
    <edwardapplejacksmith@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I've got an .avi file and windows moviemaker cant import it, says it
    >doesnt have the right codec.
    >
    >Is there a website where codecs for moviemaker are available for
    >download?
    >
    >thanks

    never mind, found it, carry on

    MM works best with dv-avi files, do you know which sort yours is? If it's
    from a web download it's probably divx which won't work. You can use gspot
    to find out which sort it is.
    See here for a link
    http://www.myvideoproblems.com/Web%20Pages/UsefulProgrammes.htm

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    "PeeVee_Hermann" <edwardapplejacksmith@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 11 May 2005 09:28:17 -0400, PeeVee_Hermann
    > <edwardapplejacksmith@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >

    >>I've got an .avi file and windows moviemaker cant import it, says it
    >>doesnt have the right codec.
    >>
    >>Is there a website where codecs for moviemaker are available for
    >>download?
    >>
    >>thanks
    >>

    > never mind, found it, carry on

    "Graham Hughes" wrote:

    > MM works best with dv-avi files, do you know which sort yours is? If it's
    > from a web download it's probably divx which won't work. You can use gspot
    > to find out which sort it is.
    > See here for a link
    > http://www.myvideoproblems.com/Web%20Pages/UsefulProgrammes.htm
    >
    > --
    > Graham Hughes
    > MVP Digital Media
    > www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
    > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > www.simplydv.com
    >

    > "PeeVee_Hermann" <edwardapplejacksmith@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > On Wed, 11 May 2005 09:28:17 -0400, PeeVee_Hermann
    > > <edwardapplejacksmith@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > >

    > >>I've got an .avi file and windows moviemaker cant import it, says it
    > >>doesnt have the right codec.
    > >>
    > >>Is there a website where codecs for moviemaker are available for
    > >>download?
    > >>
    > >>thanks
    > >>

    > > never mind, found it, carry on

Video Codec AVI Microsoft Windows XP