Olympus C770 question

I've been looking at the Olympus C770 on various sites. The UK version only
seems to come in black, The Hong Kong imports on eBay are silver aswell as
the ones advertised in the US. I prefer the look of the
silver/chrome/brushed ali' model..

Apart from the cosmetics are there any technical diferences between these?
Can you get a legitimate UK/EU warrantied silver model?

Thanks

Martin
5 answers Last reply
More about olympus c770 question

    FYI :

    Dear Mr. Norris,

    I acknowledge receipt of your e-mail and note its content accordingly.

    For marketing purposes, a commercial decision was made to sell only the
    black version of the C-770 camera in Europe. The silver version is
    obtainable, although this would be from dealers that do not obtain their
    stock from Olympus Europa and I would therefore have no details with regard
    to them. I would, however, respectfully advise that you browse the internet
    for web stockists that may carry this item.

    I trust that the above information is of use.

    Regards,

    David Williams

    Customer Support
    Olympus UK Limited
    2-8 Honduras Street,
    London
    EC1Y 0TX.

    mailto:customer-support@olympus.uk.com

    "Martin" <NOSPAM.martin.norris@excite.com.REMOVE> wrote in message
    > I've been looking at the Olympus C770 on various sites. The UK version
    > only seems to come in black, The Hong Kong imports on eBay are silver
    > aswell as the ones advertised in the US. I prefer the look of the
    > silver/chrome/brushed ali' model..
    >
    > Apart from the cosmetics are there any technical diferences between these?
    > Can you get a legitimate UK/EU warrantied silver model?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Martin

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    Dear Mr. Williams:

    Finally!!! An ACTUAL person who works for Olympus!! This is great to see
    you posting here!

    I would really appreciate your helping me solve this problem. I have
    contacted your technical support and they are unable to help me. (Please do
    not give me any more Olympus phone numbers as I have called them all and
    they are of no help.)

    I have a C700. The power circuit has a fault. *** This is not a problem with
    batteries, battery connections or power wiring. **** I am familiar with
    electronic troubleshooting and I have eliminated any external source of the
    problem. I have also contact at least a dozen other users of this camera
    series who have the identical problem.

    My question is this...

    Where can I obtain service documentation? I have been told that this
    documentation is available but not for the public or camera shops. This
    camera was purchased less than 3 years ago and I would like to get service
    documentation - such as schematics or parts list.

    Note that I already have every piece of PDF literature from the olympus
    website and, although well written, it is all operator information and of no
    help in this case.

    Olympus charges $155 flat rate to repair this camera - regardless of what
    the problem is. This is more than the camera is worth to me.

    In concluding, I will say that I will NEVER buy another Olympus digital
    camera in the future if I cannot repair this one for under $100.

    If you would like to contact me directly about this, please feel free to use
    the email address below.

    Thank you.

    Fred
    lexmark8792@yahooREMOVE.com

    > FYI :
    >
    > Dear Mr. Norris,
    >
    > I acknowledge receipt of your e-mail and note its content accordingly.
    >
    > For marketing purposes, a commercial decision was made to sell only the
    > black version of the C-770 camera in Europe. The silver version is
    > obtainable, although this would be from dealers that do not obtain their
    > stock from Olympus Europa and I would therefore have no details with
    regard
    > to them. I would, however, respectfully advise that you browse the
    internet
    > for web stockists that may carry this item.
    >
    > I trust that the above information is of use.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > David Williams
    >
    > Customer Support
    > Olympus UK Limited
    > 2-8 Honduras Street,
    > London
    > EC1Y 0TX.
    >
    > mailto:customer-support@olympus.uk.com
    >
    > "Martin" <NOSPAM.martin.norris@excite.com.REMOVE> wrote in message
    > > I've been looking at the Olympus C770 on various sites. The UK version
    > > only seems to come in black, The Hong Kong imports on eBay are silver
    > > aswell as the ones advertised in the US. I prefer the look of the
    > > silver/chrome/brushed ali' model..
    > >
    > > Apart from the cosmetics are there any technical diferences between
    these?
    > > Can you get a legitimate UK/EU warrantied silver model?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Martin

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    I neglected to give you one more piece of info that might help...

    Just now, to be sure the camera is still doing the same thing, I put in
    brand new batteries, turned it on. It has been sitting unused for a month
    or more.

    Here's what happens...

    I turn it on and the lens extends automatically as it should.

    I hit the shutter button and one photo takes fine.

    I use the LCD display to change various settings and it works fine.

    Then I take another photo - just fine. Then the 3rd photo, I get the bad
    battery warning on the LCD.

    Sometimes I am able to operate the zoom once or twice before dying. Other
    times, I can't even get the 1st photo to take.

    Also... the batteries are NOT being drained. I have a battery tester and
    they are still registering 100% charged when the camera fails.

    Hope this gives you more info.

    Fred
    lexmark8792@yahooREMOVETHESE.com

    "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > for web stockists that may carry this item.
    > >
    > > I trust that the above information is of use.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > David Williams
    > >
    > > Customer Support
    > > Olympus UK Limited
    > > 2-8 Honduras Street,
    > > London
    > > EC1Y 0TX.
    > >
    > > mailto:customer-support@olympus.uk.com
    > >
    > > "Martin" <NOSPAM.martin.norris@excite.com.REMOVE> wrote in message
    > > > I've been looking at the Olympus C770 on various sites. The UK version
    > > > only seems to come in black, The Hong Kong imports on eBay are silver
    > > > aswell as the ones advertised in the US. I prefer the look of the
    > > > silver/chrome/brushed ali' model..
    > > >
    > > > Apart from the cosmetics are there any technical diferences between
    > these?
    > > > Can you get a legitimate UK/EU warrantied silver model?

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    It sounds to me like you are on your own. From your description, there is
    an internal problem in the camera's power circuitry. It's doubtful that you
    would be able to obtain the parts to fix the camera if you knew which ones
    were bad. On top of that, the electronics are miniaturized to the point that
    special repair techniques are needed to repair such things.
    Perhaps you should invest in an extended warrenty when you buy a
    replacement.

> [...]
    >>
    >> Thank you.
    >>
    >> Fred
    >> lexmark8792@yahooREMOVE.com
    >>

    >> "Martin" <NOSPAM.martin.norris@excite.com.REMOVE> wrote in message
    >> > FYI :
    >> >
    >> > Dear Mr. Norris,
    >> >
    >> > I acknowledge receipt of your e-mail and note its content accordingly.
    >> >
    >> > For marketing purposes, a commercial decision was made to sell only the
    >> > black version of the C-770 camera in Europe. The silver version is
    >> > obtainable, although this would be from dealers that do not obtain
    >> > their
    >> > stock from Olympus Europa and I would therefore have no details with
    >> regard
    >> > to them. I would, however, respectfully advise that you browse the
    >> internet
    >> > for web stockists that may carry this item.
    >> >
    >> > I trust that the above information is of use.

    ---
    Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

    Yes, you're right. Olympus tech support isn't worth a $H|T, including this
    clown. I never did hear back from the last Olympus email I sent - all I got
    was the automatic reply sympathizing in a simulated heart-felt way to "your
    problem."

    And, yes, extended warranty should be mandatory with any Olympus
    electronics -- IF you're dumb enough to buy one in the first place.

Cameras Silver Olympus Peripherals