Olympus C770 question

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
December 6, 2004 8:30:54 PM

I've been looking at the Olympus C770 on various sites. The UK version only
seems to come in black, The Hong Kong imports on eBay are silver aswell as
the ones advertised in the US. I prefer the look of the
silver/chrome/brushed ali' model..

Apart from the cosmetics are there any technical diferences between these?
Can you get a legitimate UK/EU warrantied silver model?

Thanks

Martin

More about : olympus c770 question

December 7, 2004 7:59:32 PM

FYI :

Dear Mr. Norris,

I acknowledge receipt of your e-mail and note its content accordingly.

For marketing purposes, a commercial decision was made to sell only the
black version of the C-770 camera in Europe. The silver version is
obtainable, although this would be from dealers that do not obtain their
stock from Olympus Europa and I would therefore have no details with regard
to them. I would, however, respectfully advise that you browse the internet
for web stockists that may carry this item.

I trust that the above information is of use.

Regards,

David Williams

Customer Support
Olympus UK Limited
2-8 Honduras Street,
London
EC1Y 0TX.

mailto:customer-support@olympus.uk.com

"Martin" <NOSPAM.martin.norris@excite.com.REMOVE> wrote in message
> I've been looking at the Olympus C770 on various sites. The UK version
> only seems to come in black, The Hong Kong imports on eBay are silver
> aswell as the ones advertised in the US. I prefer the look of the
> silver/chrome/brushed ali' model..
>
> Apart from the cosmetics are there any technical diferences between these?
> Can you get a legitimate UK/EU warrantied silver model?
>
> Thanks
>
> Martin

December 11, 2004 11:17:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

Dear Mr. Williams:

Finally!!! An ACTUAL person who works for Olympus!! This is great to see
you posting here!

I would really appreciate your helping me solve this problem. I have
contacted your technical support and they are unable to help me. (Please do
not give me any more Olympus phone numbers as I have called them all and
they are of no help.)

I have a C700. The power circuit has a fault. *** This is not a problem with
batteries, battery connections or power wiring. **** I am familiar with
electronic troubleshooting and I have eliminated any external source of the
problem. I have also contact at least a dozen other users of this camera
series who have the identical problem.

My question is this...

Where can I obtain service documentation? I have been told that this
documentation is available but not for the public or camera shops. This
camera was purchased less than 3 years ago and I would like to get service
documentation - such as schematics or parts list.

Note that I already have every piece of PDF literature from the olympus
website and, although well written, it is all operator information and of no
help in this case.

Olympus charges $155 flat rate to repair this camera - regardless of what
the problem is. This is more than the camera is worth to me.

In concluding, I will say that I will NEVER buy another Olympus digital
camera in the future if I cannot repair this one for under $100.

If you would like to contact me directly about this, please feel free to use
the email address below.

Thank you.

Fred
lexmark8792@yahooREMOVE.com

> FYI :
>
> Dear Mr. Norris,
>
> I acknowledge receipt of your e-mail and note its content accordingly.
>
> For marketing purposes, a commercial decision was made to sell only the
> black version of the C-770 camera in Europe. The silver version is
> obtainable, although this would be from dealers that do not obtain their
> stock from Olympus Europa and I would therefore have no details with
regard
> to them. I would, however, respectfully advise that you browse the
internet
> for web stockists that may carry this item.
>
> I trust that the above information is of use.
>
> Regards,
>
> David Williams
>
> Customer Support
> Olympus UK Limited
> 2-8 Honduras Street,
> London
> EC1Y 0TX.
>
> mailto:customer-support@olympus.uk.com
>
> "Martin" <NOSPAM.martin.norris@excite.com.REMOVE> wrote in message
> > I've been looking at the Olympus C770 on various sites. The UK version
> > only seems to come in black, The Hong Kong imports on eBay are silver
> > aswell as the ones advertised in the US. I prefer the look of the
> > silver/chrome/brushed ali' model..
> >
> > Apart from the cosmetics are there any technical diferences between
these?
> > Can you get a legitimate UK/EU warrantied silver model?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Martin

Related resources
December 11, 2004 11:27:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

I neglected to give you one more piece of info that might help...

Just now, to be sure the camera is still doing the same thing, I put in
brand new batteries, turned it on. It has been sitting unused for a month
or more.

Here's what happens...

I turn it on and the lens extends automatically as it should.

I hit the shutter button and one photo takes fine.

I use the LCD display to change various settings and it works fine.

Then I take another photo - just fine. Then the 3rd photo, I get the bad
battery warning on the LCD.

Sometimes I am able to operate the zoom once or twice before dying. Other
times, I can't even get the 1st photo to take.

Also... the batteries are NOT being drained. I have a battery tester and
they are still registering 100% charged when the camera fails.

Hope this gives you more info.

Fred
lexmark8792@yahooREMOVETHESE.com

"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > for web stockists that may carry this item.
> >
> > I trust that the above information is of use.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > David Williams
> >
> > Customer Support
> > Olympus UK Limited
> > 2-8 Honduras Street,
> > London
> > EC1Y 0TX.
> >
> > mailto:customer-support@olympus.uk.com
> >
> > "Martin" <NOSPAM.martin.norris@excite.com.REMOVE> wrote in message
> > > I've been looking at the Olympus C770 on various sites. The UK version
> > > only seems to come in black, The Hong Kong imports on eBay are silver
> > > aswell as the ones advertised in the US. I prefer the look of the
> > > silver/chrome/brushed ali' model..
> > >
> > > Apart from the cosmetics are there any technical diferences between
> these?
> > > Can you get a legitimate UK/EU warrantied silver model?

December 12, 2004 10:49:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

It sounds to me like you are on your own. From your description, there is
an internal problem in the camera's power circuitry. It's doubtful that you
would be able to obtain the parts to fix the camera if you knew which ones
were bad. On top of that, the electronics are miniaturized to the point that
special repair techniques are needed to repair such things.
Perhaps you should invest in an extended warrenty when you buy a
replacement.

> [...]
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Fred
>> lexmark8792@yahooREMOVE.com
>>

>> "Martin" <NOSPAM.martin.norris@excite.com.REMOVE> wrote in message
>> > FYI :
>> >
>> > Dear Mr. Norris,
>> >
>> > I acknowledge receipt of your e-mail and note its content accordingly.
>> >
>> > For marketing purposes, a commercial decision was made to sell only the
>> > black version of the C-770 camera in Europe. The silver version is
>> > obtainable, although this would be from dealers that do not obtain
>> > their
>> > stock from Olympus Europa and I would therefore have no details with
>> regard
>> > to them. I would, however, respectfully advise that you browse the
>> internet
>> > for web stockists that may carry this item.
>> >
>> > I trust that the above information is of use.

---
Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.
December 14, 2004 8:38:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

Yes, you're right. Olympus tech support isn't worth a $H|T, including this
clown. I never did hear back from the last Olympus email I sent - all I got
was the automatic reply sympathizing in a simulated heart-felt way to "your
problem."

And, yes, extended warranty should be mandatory with any Olympus
electronics -- IF you're dumb enough to buy one in the first place.