Closed

How can a VOB file be converted to a media file?

I have some home video on DVD. I drag and dropped several of the files
to my hard drive because I need to edit them for a presentation. None of
my video editing applications recognize the files, so I need to convert
them from VOB to some other sort of media file (avi, or something) in
order to finish my project. I'm obviously brand new at this.

If anyone has any helpful information, I'll gladly receive it. Thanks a
ton in advance for any and all help.

Best regards and blessings,
Stoney
9 answers Last reply
More about file converted media file

    On Wed, 11 May 2005 23:51:31 -0700, Stoney <stonemarie@adelphia.net>
    wrote:

    >I have some home video on DVD. I drag and dropped several of the files
    >to my hard drive because I need to edit them for a presentation. None of
    >my video editing applications recognize the files, so I need to convert
    >them from VOB to some other sort of media file (avi, or something) in
    >order to finish my project. I'm obviously brand new at this.
    >
    >If anyone has any helpful information, I'll gladly receive it. Thanks a
    >ton in advance for any and all help.
    >
    >Best regards and blessings,
    >Stoney

    Sometimes it's as simple as renaming the vob file with an mpg
    extension. If that doesn't work google for any number of vob
    converters out there.

    Stoney wrote:
    > I have some home video on DVD. I drag and dropped several of the files
    > to my hard drive

    First of all if you are doing this with commercial dvds then be warned
    that these are encrypted and your simple copy process will give you junk
    data. You should use the freeware utility DVDDecrypter to transfer DVD
    Video contents to the hard disk. <http://www.dvddecrypter.com>

    To convert VOB files to some other video format you can use
    VirtualDubMod <http://virtualdubmod.sourceforge.net>

    --
    Rehan
    MS MVP (Digital Media)

    Rehan wrote:

    > First of all if you are doing this with commercial dvds then be warned
    > that these are encrypted and your simple copy process will give you junk
    > data.

    I am doing this with home videos that were converted from MiniDV to DVD.
    They are not commercial DVDs. I'll try your suggestion. Thanks.

    So far, every converter I've tried isn't working.

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 07:49:47 -0700, Stoney <stonemarie@adelphia.net>
    wrote:

    >Rehan wrote:
    >

    >> First of all if you are doing this with commercial dvds then be warned
    >> that these are encrypted and your simple copy process will give you junk
    >> data.
    >>

    >I am doing this with home videos that were converted from MiniDV to DVD.
    >They are not commercial DVDs. I'll try your suggestion. Thanks.
    >
    >So far, every converter I've tried isn't working.
    if you use mplayer2.exe you can drag and drop the vob directly.
    Dave

    da_test wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 May 2005 07:49:47 -0700, Stoney <stonemarie@adelphia.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Rehan wrote:
    >>

    >>> First of all if you are doing this with commercial dvds then be
    >>> warned that these are encrypted and your simple copy process will
    >>> give you junk data.
    >>>

    >> I am doing this with home videos that were converted from MiniDV to
    >> DVD. They are not commercial DVDs. I'll try your suggestion. Thanks.
    >>
    >> So far, every converter I've tried isn't working.
    > if you use mplayer2.exe you can drag and drop the vob directly.
    > Dave

    I have several DVDs my brother created with a Mac. I wanted to copy the
    files to my backup HD, so I copied them then changed the files extensions to
    ".mpg" and Windows Media Player opened them right up. However, without the
    ATI MMC codecs, they wouldn't. Make sure you have an MPG codec installed.

    *** NOTE *** Changing the file extensions may or may not work for you, so do
    not try this unless you are familiar and comfortable with changing file
    names in Windows, and can change them back to "*.VOB" if needed. You only
    need the files ending in ".VOB", unless you also want the DVD menus, in
    which case you will have to continue inserting the DVDs if you want them to
    play.

    --
    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread,

    Ok, I must be an idiot or something. When I change the file extensions
    to mpg, the files just read under "properties" as filename.mpg.VOB so
    nothing changes. I tried using Virtual DubMod, AutoGordionKnot, dragging
    and dropping into mplayer2.exe, and none of those work. I'm not sure,
    actually, if Virtual DubMod works or not. It isn't very user friendly,
    and I can't figure out how I'm supposed to convert files with it.
    Normally I don't have such problems with using applications, but I am
    certainly baffled here. Any more ideas?
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 01:09:58 -0700, Stoney <stonemarie@adelphia.net>
    wrote:

    >Ok, I must be an idiot or something. When I change the file extensions
    >to mpg, the files just read under "properties" as filename.mpg.VOB so
    >nothing changes. I tried using Virtual DubMod, AutoGordionKnot, dragging
    >and dropping into mplayer2.exe, and none of those work. I'm not sure,
    >actually, if Virtual DubMod works or not. It isn't very user friendly,
    >and I can't figure out how I'm supposed to convert files with it.
    >Normally I don't have such problems with using applications, but I am
    >certainly baffled here. Any more ideas?

    If the dvd plays on your pc then you obviously have the necessary
    codec installed. That said, on rare occasion I've also had a
    copy/paste vob file that I just could not open. My work around was to
    rip the dvd with dvddecryptor. The ripped vobs worked. Go figure.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Stoney wrote:
    > I'm not sure,
    > actually, if Virtual DubMod works or not. It isn't very user friendly,
    > and I can't figure out how I'm supposed to convert files with it.
    > Normally I don't have such problems with using applications, but I am
    > certainly baffled here. Any more ideas?

    To convert files all you have to do is open the VOB file by using menu
    File -> "Open video file" and afterwards just save it using menu File ->
    "Save As".

    Does it not work ?

    In the save as dialog select the compression codec from thebottom of the
    screen. By default it saves in uncompressed format. If you have
    installed one of the DV Codecs (Panasonic or Canopus), these are the
    recommended choices to select. Otherwise any other codec should work
    too. Most people use DIVX or something similar which give very high
    compression ratios.

    --
    Rehan
    MS MVP (Digital Media)
    www.rehanfx.org -- get effects & transitions for MM2
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Rehan wrote:
    > Stoney wrote:
    >
    >> I'm not sure, actually, if Virtual DubMod works or not. It isn't very
    >> user friendly, and I can't figure out how I'm supposed to convert
    >> files with it. Normally I don't have such problems with using
    >> applications, but I am certainly baffled here. Any more ideas?
    >

    > To convert files all you have to do is open the VOB file by using menu
    > File -> "Open video file" and afterwards just save it using menu File ->
    Doh! I can't believe that I didn't try that first! That's normally what
    I'd do! Yes, when I open the VOB files in BS Player and "save as" the
    job gets done. Thanks so much for opening my tunnel visioned eyes to the
    obvious!

    Stoney

    > "Save As".
    >
    > Does it not work ?
    >
    > In the save as dialog select the compression codec from thebottom of the
    > screen. By default it saves in uncompressed format. If you have
    > installed one of the DV Codecs (Panasonic or Canopus), these are the
    > recommended choices to select. Otherwise any other codec should work
    > too. Most people use DIVX or something similar which give very high
    > compression ratios.

Video Windows XP