How can a VOB file be converted to a media file?

May 12, 2005 3:51:31 AM

I have some home video on DVD. I drag and dropped several of the files
to my hard drive because I need to edit them for a presentation. None of
my video editing applications recognize the files, so I need to convert
them from VOB to some other sort of media file (avi, or something) in
order to finish my project. I'm obviously brand new at this.

If anyone has any helpful information, I'll gladly receive it. Thanks a
ton in advance for any and all help.

Best regards and blessings,
Stoney
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 1:04:34 PM

On Wed, 11 May 2005 23:51:31 -0700, Stoney <stonemarie@adelphia.net>
wrote:

>I have some home video on DVD. I drag and dropped several of the files
>to my hard drive because I need to edit them for a presentation. None of
>my video editing applications recognize the files, so I need to convert
>them from VOB to some other sort of media file (avi, or something) in
>order to finish my project. I'm obviously brand new at this.
>
>If anyone has any helpful information, I'll gladly receive it. Thanks a
>ton in advance for any and all help.
>
>Best regards and blessings,
>Stoney

Sometimes it's as simple as renaming the vob file with an mpg
extension. If that doesn't work google for any number of vob
converters out there.
May 12, 2005 4:00:12 PM

Stoney wrote:
> I have some home video on DVD. I drag and dropped several of the files
> to my hard drive

First of all if you are doing this with commercial dvds then be warned
that these are encrypted and your simple copy process will give you junk
data. You should use the freeware utility DVDDecrypter to transfer DVD
Video contents to the hard disk. <http://www.dvddecrypter.com&gt;

To convert VOB files to some other video format you can use
VirtualDubMod <http://virtualdubmod.sourceforge.net&gt;

--
Rehan
MS MVP (Digital Media)

Rehan wrote:

> First of all if you are doing this with commercial dvds then be warned
> that these are encrypted and your simple copy process will give you junk
> data.

I am doing this with home videos that were converted from MiniDV to DVD.
They are not commercial DVDs. I'll try your suggestion. Thanks.

So far, every converter I've tried isn't working.
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 4:00:14 PM

On Thu, 12 May 2005 07:49:47 -0700, Stoney <stonemarie@adelphia.net>
wrote:

>Rehan wrote:
>

>> First of all if you are doing this with commercial dvds then be warned
>> that these are encrypted and your simple copy process will give you junk
>> data.
>>

>I am doing this with home videos that were converted from MiniDV to DVD.
>They are not commercial DVDs. I'll try your suggestion. Thanks.
>
>So far, every converter I've tried isn't working.
if you use mplayer2.exe you can drag and drop the vob directly.
Dave
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 9:37:29 PM

da_test wrote:
> On Thu, 12 May 2005 07:49:47 -0700, Stoney <stonemarie@adelphia.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Rehan wrote:
>>

>>> First of all if you are doing this with commercial dvds then be
>>> warned that these are encrypted and your simple copy process will
>>> give you junk data.
>>>

>> I am doing this with home videos that were converted from MiniDV to
>> DVD. They are not commercial DVDs. I'll try your suggestion. Thanks.
>>
>> So far, every converter I've tried isn't working.
> if you use mplayer2.exe you can drag and drop the vob directly.
> Dave

I have several DVDs my brother created with a Mac. I wanted to copy the
files to my backup HD, so I copied them then changed the files extensions to
".mpg" and Windows Media Player opened them right up. However, without the
ATI MMC codecs, they wouldn't. Make sure you have an MPG codec installed.

*** NOTE *** Changing the file extensions may or may not work for you, so do
not try this unless you are familiar and comfortable with changing file
names in Windows, and can change them back to "*.VOB" if needed. You only
need the files ending in ".VOB", unless you also want the DVD menus, in
which case you will have to continue inserting the DVDs if you want them to
play.

--
Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread,

Ok, I must be an idiot or something. When I change the file extensions
to mpg, the files just read under "properties" as filename.mpg.VOB so
nothing changes. I tried using Virtual DubMod, AutoGordionKnot, dragging
and dropping into mplayer2.exe, and none of those work. I'm not sure,
actually, if Virtual DubMod works or not. It isn't very user friendly,
and I can't figure out how I'm supposed to convert files with it.
Normally I don't have such problems with using applications, but I am
certainly baffled here. Any more ideas?
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 1:21:47 PM

On Fri, 13 May 2005 01:09:58 -0700, Stoney <stonemarie@adelphia.net>
wrote:

>Ok, I must be an idiot or something. When I change the file extensions
>to mpg, the files just read under "properties" as filename.mpg.VOB so
>nothing changes. I tried using Virtual DubMod, AutoGordionKnot, dragging
>and dropping into mplayer2.exe, and none of those work. I'm not sure,
>actually, if Virtual DubMod works or not. It isn't very user friendly,
>and I can't figure out how I'm supposed to convert files with it.
>Normally I don't have such problems with using applications, but I am
>certainly baffled here. Any more ideas?

If the dvd plays on your pc then you obviously have the necessary
codec installed. That said, on rare occasion I've also had a
copy/paste vob file that I just could not open. My work around was to
rip the dvd with dvddecryptor. The ripped vobs worked. Go figure.
May 13, 2005 2:29:04 PM

Stoney wrote:
> I'm not sure,
> actually, if Virtual DubMod works or not. It isn't very user friendly,
> and I can't figure out how I'm supposed to convert files with it.
> Normally I don't have such problems with using applications, but I am
> certainly baffled here. Any more ideas?

To convert files all you have to do is open the VOB file by using menu
File -> "Open video file" and afterwards just save it using menu File ->
"Save As".

Does it not work ?

In the save as dialog select the compression codec from thebottom of the
screen. By default it saves in uncompressed format. If you have
installed one of the DV Codecs (Panasonic or Canopus), these are the
recommended choices to select. Otherwise any other codec should work
too. Most people use DIVX or something similar which give very high
compression ratios.

--
Rehan
MS MVP (Digital Media)
www.rehanfx.org -- get effects & transitions for MM2
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 2:29:05 PM

Rehan wrote:
> Stoney wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure, actually, if Virtual DubMod works or not. It isn't very
>> user friendly, and I can't figure out how I'm supposed to convert
>> files with it. Normally I don't have such problems with using
>> applications, but I am certainly baffled here. Any more ideas?
>

> To convert files all you have to do is open the VOB file by using menu
> File -> "Open video file" and afterwards just save it using menu File ->
Doh! I can't believe that I didn't try that first! That's normally what
I'd do! Yes, when I open the VOB files in BS Player and "save as" the
job gets done. Thanks so much for opening my tunnel visioned eyes to the
obvious!

Stoney

!