Clicking on a WMV file in Explorer causes error...

Tags:
  • Video
  • Windows XP
May 15, 2005 2:10:26 AM

I'm looking at a list of .WMV files. If I single-click one (or hover over
it with preview on) I get the error:

The instruction at "0x0152b676" referenced memory at "0xd0000000". The
memory could not be "read".

This error occurs on all files, yet I can open the files by using Media
Player. These files work on other machines, including a new XP machine.
I'm running a Toshiba laptop (P35-S6112, it's a 3.43 gHz P4 with 1 GB or RAM
and plenty of free disk space). The OS is XP Pro SP2 with all the updates
applied. Windows Media Player is version 10. I have downloaded and ran
MemTest and there were no errors detected. The machine has been running
very well except for this little hiccup.

Anyone have an idea where to go from here? Thanks!

Bobby

More about : clicking wmv file explorer error

Anonymous
May 15, 2005 1:47:21 PM

Go to this link. Let me know if it helps:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281735
W.D.

"Bobby C" <bobbyc.dixon-REMOVEME-creek.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking at a list of .WMV files. If I single-click one (or hover over
> it with preview on) I get the error:
>
> The instruction at "0x0152b676" referenced memory at "0xd0000000". The
> memory could not be "read".
>
> This error occurs on all files, yet I can open the files by using Media
> Player. These files work on other machines, including a new XP machine.
> I'm running a Toshiba laptop (P35-S6112, it's a 3.43 gHz P4 with 1 GB or
> RAM and plenty of free disk space). The OS is XP Pro SP2 with all the
> updates applied. Windows Media Player is version 10. I have downloaded
> and ran MemTest and there were no errors detected. The machine has been
> running very well except for this little hiccup.
>
> Anyone have an idea where to go from here? Thanks!
>
> Bobby

Anonymous
May 15, 2005 1:47:22 PM

Thanks for the idea. Doesn't look applicable because no apps are running
that hit ODBC but I look a little deeper into this. What's odd is that it
occurs even if I hover the mouse pointer over the file.

Bobby

"W.D. Parker" <skydiverwd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o swOA0VWFHA.1384@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Go to this link. Let me know if it helps:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281735
> W.D.
>
> "Bobby C" <bobbyc.dixon-REMOVEME-creek.com> wrote in message
>> I'm looking at a list of .WMV files. If I single-click one (or hover
>> over it with preview on) I get the error:
>>
>> The instruction at "0x0152b676" referenced memory at "0xd0000000". The
>> memory could not be "read".
>>
>> This error occurs on all files, yet I can open the files by using Media
>> Player. These files work on other machines, including a new XP machine.
>> I'm running a Toshiba laptop (P35-S6112, it's a 3.43 gHz P4 with 1 GB or
>> RAM and plenty of free disk space). The OS is XP Pro SP2 with all the
>> updates applied. Windows Media Player is version 10. I have downloaded
>> and ran MemTest and there were no errors detected. The machine has been
>> running very well except for this little hiccup.
>>
>> Anyone have an idea where to go from here? Thanks!
>>
>> Bobby

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 3:46:06 AM

Bobby C wrote:
> I'm looking at a list of .WMV files. If I single-click one (or hover over
> it with preview on) I get the error:
>
> The instruction at "0x0152b676" referenced memory at "0xd0000000". The
> memory could not be "read".
>
> This error occurs on all files, yet I can open the files by using Media
> Player. These files work on other machines, including a new XP machine.
> I'm running a Toshiba laptop (P35-S6112, it's a 3.43 gHz P4 with 1 GB or RAM
> and plenty of free disk space). The OS is XP Pro SP2 with all the updates
> applied. Windows Media Player is version 10. I have downloaded and ran
> MemTest and there were no errors detected. The machine has been running
> very well except for this little hiccup.
>
> Anyone have an idea where to go from here? Thanks!
>
> Bobby

Similar Issue Here. WMV, AVI, MPEG cause explorer to freeze.

--
Lester Stiefel
In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed