Subject: VT2 or Vegas 5, is there a difference in output q..

I've got constant contract work at a church in my city, and they have
a VT2. I am getting Vegas 5 and a laptop to work on projects when I'm
on the road or out of town. My contractor is psycho when it comes to
quality even though the output is accross more than a 100' of
component co-ax cable to overhead projector, so why he is so concerned
about the quality issue is beyond me. However is the quality of Vegas
5 output comparable to that of VT2 or VT2 Component Cable (component
is a single Co-ax right?)?

Any help would be appreciated.

"FridgidNDEditing" <blah_blah_blah_crap@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've got constant contract work at a church in my city, and they have
> a VT2. I am getting Vegas 5 and a laptop to work on projects when I'm
> on the road or out of town. My contractor is psycho when it comes to
> quality even though the output is accross more than a 100' of
> component co-ax cable to overhead projector, so why he is so concerned
> about the quality issue is beyond me. However is the quality of Vegas
> 5 output comparable to that of VT2 or VT2 Component Cable (component
> is a single Co-ax right?)?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Co-ax is short for coaxial In this context means that there is a
single conductor, surrounded by an insulator (typically foam
or air) with a shield that is concentric to the center conductor.

Component video typically requires 3 coaxial cables.
For video component is most often a Black and white or
luminance channel, with 2 color channels, based on a matrix.
They call this YUV component, as well as several other
designations. Betacam (analog and digital), DV, DVDs all
use slight variations of YUV component. Much of the
available professional equipment has this connection, as do
the better DVD players and TVs. This format is pretty
good over long cable runs.

There is also RGB component as used for computer displays,
but is not used much for video. In practice, it was difficult
to work with in a video system, and recording it took too
much bandwidth to be practical. Prototype recorders were
made, but they had to move the tape too fast to be practical.
RGB means that the three signals (Red, Blue, Green) are
carried as separate, but equal, signals.

S-video or Y/C is a 2 wire system the luminance channel is
the same as used in YUV component, but the chroma is
phase and amplitude modulated onto a subcarrier. When it
first came out it was sometimes referred to as component,
but that is not considered correct today. It was first
implemented for S-VHS allowing for a more a picture with
more detail and clarity (in the luminance channel) than
standard VHS, but the color detail is only a little better
than standard VHS. This format is available on most
good consumer and prosumer equipment these days.
S-video can be used for long runs, but you may need
a device to readjust the timing of the color component
on long runs (the color can become out of position).

Composite is much like S-video, except that the color
information is mixed with the luminance so they can
both run on the same wire. It has to be bandwidth
limited to keep the luminance form interfering with
the color information, so the picture is softer than
any of the above formats. It's simplicity of a single
wire to run has kept it popular for the entire history
of video. It is often used for long runs, but it often
loses some of the color and detail over long cable runs
and may need some boosting of the higher frequencies
(as do all formats if the run is long enough).

The Video Toaster 2 can deal with all of these formats.
It is more of a switcher and effects box than it is an editor.
I think Vegas is a better editing program, and the quality
is fine. It is only software though, so it can't be directly
compared to the toaster.

David

On 3 Jun 2004 06:44:00 -0700, blah_blah_blah_crap@hotmail.com
(FridgidNDEditing) wrote:

>I've got constant contract work at a church in my city, and they have
>a VT2. I am getting Vegas 5 and a laptop to work on projects when I'm
>on the road or out of town. My contractor is psycho when it comes to
>quality even though the output is accross more than a 100' of
>component co-ax cable to overhead projector, so why he is so concerned
>about the quality issue is beyond me. However is the quality of Vegas
>5 output comparable to that of VT2 or VT2 Component Cable (component
>is a single Co-ax right?)?
>
>Any help would be appreciated.

No, component may run on a single coax cable, but there is more than
one video signal running through it.

OTOH -- Vegas -- or other video editors -- have output in software,
not hardware. The VT2 (Video Toaster 2) does have component out as an
option, but also digital and s-video. Internally, it offers
uncompressed video editing, as well as various degrees of compression
-- but unless the sources are all low compression/uncompressed, its
edge there won't matter.

So as long as the files you put out can load into the VT2 for
playback, what's the difference? Nothing can be better than the
source quality -- if you use DV camcorders, then DV quality output is
the best you can expect.

BTW, if it is a matter of video output, you could get a component
video out device for your laptop. Not sure if you are playing from
the laptop itself, but that is a matter of hardware, not software --
most PC video outs are s-video or composite, component (like with
DVDs) is an option. There is more than one cable standard for
component, but adapters are available.

But if it is a file transfer issue, just output the files in
whatever format is desired, and it should work fine.

Jeffery S. Jones wrote
>Nothing can be better than the
>source quality -- if you use DV camcorders, then DV quality output is
>the best you can expect.

Titles and graphic can be better than 4:1:1 in a DV source production. This
could make a difference on a big screen. Vegas can render to 4:2:2 uncompressed
if needed.
What is the source material?

Craig H.

On 05 Jun 2004 17:57:53 GMT, highpeaksvideo@aol.com (HighPeaksVideo)
wrote:

>Jeffery S. Jones wrote
>>Nothing can be better than the
>>source quality -- if you use DV camcorders, then DV quality output is
>>the best you can expect.
>
> Titles and graphic can be better than 4:1:1 in a DV source production. This
>could make a difference on a big screen. Vegas can render to 4:2:2 uncompressed
>if needed.

Right, that does make a difference. You can't do anything about
your camcorder video, but perfect uncompressed titles and animations
can be very nice.

>What is the source material?

I think that, and the sort of program which is the final output, is
very relevant to the question of quality. Also, the unanswered
question of whether the laptop is intended to play the video back
directly, or if a file can be transferred.