kenneth

I've had this running problem with XP since its been out and the only
solution I've found is not one I'm completely happy with. If anyone has
found an easier solution, please let me know.

Here it is: I have this firmware card that I sue with my Canon Vistura.
It's a cheaper model card that cost me around $30 a few years back.

When I first installed the card (or anytime after that) everything is OK.
Card is recognized by both WinXP Home and WinXP Pro. I can capture and
manipulate video as expected. But, when I don't have the camera installed
for what seems like a number of regular machine starts (just turning the
machine on/off during regular use) its like WinXP "forgets" the card/camera
is installed. To fix I would normally just unplug the card and reseat. Its
almost as like the camera needs a constant connection.

Make sense? If anyone has a better idea of how to correct this let me know
please. Right now, I'm thinking maybe its just the "no name" brand IE1394
firewire card I'm using. I've run across many postings outlining similar
problems. And many of the solutions say to install drivers, get new
software, etc.

Canon tells me that's not necessary and based on my experience of having it
working at various points, that is correct.

On Sun, 15 May 2005 19:30:26 GMT, "Kenneth" <Noname@domain.com> wrote:

>I've had this running problem with XP since its been out and the only
>solution I've found is not one I'm completely happy with. If anyone has
>found an easier solution, please let me know.
>
>Here it is: I have this firmware card that I sue with my Canon Vistura.
>It's a cheaper model card that cost me around $30 a few years back.
>
>When I first installed the card (or anytime after that) everything is OK.
>Card is recognized by both WinXP Home and WinXP Pro. I can capture and
>manipulate video as expected. But, when I don't have the camera installed
>for what seems like a number of regular machine starts (just turning the
>machine on/off during regular use) its like WinXP "forgets" the card/camera
>is installed. To fix I would normally just unplug the card and reseat. Its
>almost as like the camera needs a constant connection.
>
>Make sense? If anyone has a better idea of how to correct this let me know
>please. Right now, I'm thinking maybe its just the "no name" brand IE1394
>firewire card I'm using. I've run across many postings outlining similar
>problems. And many of the solutions say to install drivers, get new
>software, etc.
>
>Canon tells me that's not necessary and based on my experience of having it
>working at various points, that is correct.

Not a real answer here but I've had similar problems with a Hauppauge
tv card. My fix was to uninstall all the related software and drivers,
seat the card into a different pci slot, let windows recognize new
hardware all over again, and all was okay. You might want to try that
with either the card or the firewire card, if applicable. good luck.

Latest posts