My nVidia GeForce2 Cannot Detect a TV?

I have a nVidia GeForce2 MX/MX400 video card in my PC. I have it
connected to a regular VGA monitor and low cost TV (through S-Video).

I have already downloaded and applied the latest device driver from
nVidia. But I still cannot get nVidia to detect the TV.

When I use the <Detect> button to see if it can detect the TV, I don't
get any visual response.

When I use their wizard to setup dual-views or clone-view, the
"preview" step of the wizard doesn't seem to do anything. I can see
the image of the wizard continue showing on the PC screen but I cannot
see anything on the TV screen.

Strangely, when I manually select the TV mode (under Single Display
mode), and hit <Apply> to force it to accept the TV mode, I can see
image has been switched from the PC screen to the TV screen. This
seems to be the only way that I can use the TV screen. But I would
much rather to use the dual-views mode.

I have tried TV-Tools; it doesn't help.

My questions are:
- Does nVidia GeForce support dual-view mode?
- Does anyone who happens to have the same video card have any luck
getting dual-views or clone-view working? BTW, mine is an OEM in a
Dell PC.
- Does this have something to do with any specific TV or any specific
S-video cable? Do I need a more expensive TV to get this work?

Thanks.

Jay Chan
2 answers Last reply
More about nvidia geforce2 detect

    The TV out cards I have used needed to be
    set to either 640 x 480 @ 60Hz
    or 800 x 600 @ 60 Hz to enable dual view.

    Try it.

    "Jay Chan" <jaykchan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have a nVidia GeForce2 MX/MX400 video card in my PC. I have it
    > connected to a regular VGA monitor and low cost TV (through S-Video).
    >
    > I have already downloaded and applied the latest device driver from
    > nVidia. But I still cannot get nVidia to detect the TV.
    >
    > When I use the <Detect> button to see if it can detect the TV, I don't
    > get any visual response.
    >
    > When I use their wizard to setup dual-views or clone-view, the
    > "preview" step of the wizard doesn't seem to do anything. I can see
    > the image of the wizard continue showing on the PC screen but I cannot
    > see anything on the TV screen.
    >
    > Strangely, when I manually select the TV mode (under Single Display
    > mode), and hit <Apply> to force it to accept the TV mode, I can see
    > image has been switched from the PC screen to the TV screen. This
    > seems to be the only way that I can use the TV screen. But I would
    > much rather to use the dual-views mode.
    >
    > I have tried TV-Tools; it doesn't help.
    >
    > My questions are:
    > - Does nVidia GeForce support dual-view mode?
    > - Does anyone who happens to have the same video card have any luck
    > getting dual-views or clone-view working? BTW, mine is an OEM in a
    > Dell PC.
    > - Does this have something to do with any specific TV or any specific
    > S-video cable? Do I need a more expensive TV to get this work?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Jay Chan

    > The TV out cards I have used needed to be
    > set to either 640 x 480 @ 60Hz
    > or 800 x 600 @ 60 Hz to enable dual view.

    I only saw one resolution 800x600 available in nVidia device driver
    screen in the last time I checked. I will try again tonight to see if
    I can force it to set the resolution at 640x480 by changing the Hz
    setting.

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    Jay Chan

Tuner Cards TV Nvidia Graphics