Vedeo camera for 11 year old

I am looking at a second hand digital video camera for an 11 year old, I
need features like external microphone jack (and analogue in would be good).

I found a Sony DC TRV340 at a good price, I know it uses Digital 8 rather
than mini dv, but it seems to be a better vamera than the bottom of the
range Canons or Panasonics which are the alternative choices.

Any comments?

Thanks
Phil

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 07:05:24 +1000, "phillean"
<phillean@removenospam.netspeed.com.au> wrote:

>I am looking at a second hand digital video camera for an 11 year old, I
>need features like external microphone jack (and analogue in would be good).
>

>Phil

I'm sorry, I can't help you with your question. But I just wanted to
say that, as a parent, you kick ass.

Clay

"phillean" <phillean@removenospam.netspeed.com.au> wrote in message
> I am looking at a second hand digital video camera for an 11 year old, I
> need features like external microphone jack (and analogue in would be
good).

> I found a Sony DC TRV340 at a good price, I know it uses Digital 8 rather
> than mini dv, but it seems to be a better vamera than the bottom of the
> range Canons or Panasonics which are the alternative choices.

Just got one of my kids (12yrs) a TRV-140. It doesn't have the external mic
jack, but the sound isn't too bad. It has already survived a couple of
pretty good bumps and a roll down a grassy hill. I've held a 340 a couple
of times and it seems to be about an identicle build to the 140, but perhaps
a bit heavier.

Although no mic jack on the Sharp VL-Z3U (only the Z5U/Z7U), these were
blowing out on amazon.com months ago for ~$150-180 After rebates. (see
www.fatwallet.com/forums/ thread) probably could get one dirt-cheap on
ebay.com

eg. see this pawn shop auction currently at $152 for the Z5U

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64334&item=3819343575&rd=1

---

microcenter.com stores for open-box markdowns. Usually can get 20-40%
off camcorders this way.

eg. latest Sony HC-40 model at $520-ish on markdown.

---

fry's electronics sales in CA often have dirt-cheap digital 8 camcorders
for <$200 easy.

---

I have a TRV-320 and it is a great choice for what you want to do. I also
use a shotgun mike, 2 x and 0.6 x adapters, get a tripod and encourage the
11 year old to use it, I use a fluid head Bogan?Manfrotto.

Get a bigger battery and a small light as well.

:
: I found a Sony DC TRV340 at a good price, I know it uses Digital 8 rather
: than mini dv, but it seems to be a better vamera than the bottom of the
: range Canons or Panasonics which are the alternative choices.
:
: Any comments?
:
: Thanks
: Phil
:
:

thanks to everyone who replied

We bought the second hand Sony TRV 340 and are very pleased with the quality
of the images and its features.

We are in Australia so prices and options are a little different from the US
and Canada, a higher end straight DV camera was not an option - to expensive
for the purpose.

We have good tripod, I discovered after I bought it that it is Chinese copy
a Manfrotto, next to get a lapel mike and another battery, then maybe a
shotgun mike.

Phil

Yes next an external microphone