Hi guys and gals, i just got a mini dv a cannon zr300 ,i had a jvs-c and
bought the mini dv to transfer the old tapes over to my pc and of course take
new videos,but i am not sure what to convert them to (avi,mpeg,svcd) and
what program to use,my 2 concerns are quality(i want the best quality) and
space (i have alot of movies of my kids and a plan to take alot more),and i
do not want to edit any of it just transfer fast and efficiantly,so any
comments or web sites u can think of to help me would be great,there is not
alot of newbie info on this.thank u

Quality and small file size doesn't go together... you can have quality
DV-AVI at 12gb per hour... or you can have tiny file sizes and horrible
resolution.

Which is most important to you.
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

"sixheads" <sixheads@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi guys and gals, i just got a mini dv a cannon zr300 ,i had a jvs-c and
> bought the mini dv to transfer the old tapes over to my pc and of course
> take
> new videos,but i am not sure what to convert them to (avi,mpeg,svcd) and
> what program to use,my 2 concerns are quality(i want the best quality) and
> space (i have alot of movies of my kids and a plan to take alot more),and
> do not want to edit any of it just transfer fast and efficiantly,so any
> comments or web sites u can think of to help me would be great,there is
> not
> alot of newbie info on this.thank u

k, last night i used windows movie maker 2 and transferd a small 10 minute
vid ,the quality was good ,and it played in quick time,what did movie maker
turn the file into,wmv?i think its a wmv,is that good?i thought it was okcan
i get betterquality?thank u

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Quality and small file size doesn't go together... you can have quality
> DV-AVI at 12gb per hour... or you can have tiny file sizes and horrible
> resolution.
>
> Which is most important to you.
> --
> Cari
> (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
>
> "sixheads" <sixheads@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi guys and gals, i just got a mini dv a cannon zr300 ,i had a jvs-c and
> > bought the mini dv to transfer the old tapes over to my pc and of course
> > take
> > new videos,but i am not sure what to convert them to (avi,mpeg,svcd) and
> > what program to use,my 2 concerns are quality(i want the best quality) and
> > space (i have alot of movies of my kids and a plan to take alot more),and
> > do not want to edit any of it just transfer fast and efficiantly,so any
> > comments or web sites u can think of to help me would be great,there is
> > not
> > alot of newbie info on this.thank u

If you're capturing from firewire then set it to capture as DV-AVI which
will give you the best quality.