Movie Maker Capture Problem Video Format

herbert

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2004

I have a Canon MV20 PAL DV camera. The camera works fine with my old Win98 PC.

I have a new PC WinXP SP2 with an onboard IEEE 1394 firewire with OHCI
Complient Controller.

Connecting the camera, it is recognized and the Movie Maker (2.1) starts.
The camera is visible. I run the recording wizard to the video setting page
(the naming might be different, I've got a german GUI) and select DV-AVI. The
selected video format is shown as NTSC! Selecting "other settings" does not
offer any PAL settings. The parameters in "Options" are set to PAL 4:3.

When capturing, I can control the camera (play, rev, ff), get the correct
tape position displayed but just a fuzzy, useless image.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,
When MS implemented SP2 they added upgrades to the firewire drivers to make
them more compliant with the ieee1394 standards. This unfortunately has
stopped some cameras from working, whose firmware is not so compliant.
Please visit my page here
http://www.myvideoproblems.com/Problem%20Pages/CamNotWorkingUnderSP2.htm
Answer the questions as fully as you can and email me with them.
There are a few fixes on there that you can try, the most succesful being
using sp1 drivers, but if your new pc came with sp2 installed, you need to
find a friend with an xp sp1 disc to do this.

Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media