codecs for moviemaker?

According to my video card company, ATI Radeon, the new drivers installed
new codecs and replaced some others.. that is why Moviemaker can no longer
open certain files. They suggested I hunt down the old codecs and try to
install them. Does anyone have a list or know of a website where I can
download the ORIGINAL set of codecs for XP SP2?

What are the file extensions for the files that MovieMaker cannot open?
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

"rod_phipps@hotmail.com" <rodphippshotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:50A78A72-5536-4373-BB6E-C14A5F61F157@microsoft.com...

> According to my video card company, ATI Radeon, the new drivers installed
> new codecs and replaced some others.. that is why Moviemaker can no longer
> open certain files. They suggested I hunt down the old codecs and try to
> install them. Does anyone have a list or know of a website where I can
> download the ORIGINAL set of codecs for XP SP2?

Use system, restore to a point before the addition of the card?

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

On Thu, 19 May 2005 07:00:02 -0700, "rod_phipps@hotmail.com"
<rodphippshotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>.mpg
>
>Moviemaker could open these files BEFORE the video card driver install, now
>it can't. The odd thing is, there are other .mpg files it CAN still open. I
>understand there are several formats for .mpg and so... is there anyway to
>tell what format a .mpg file is? Or what version?

open known good mpg files in mplayer2.exe (open this from the RUN
box)
in the screen right click and slect properties. Amongst the info in
there are the filter being used. Repeast this with the "bad" mpg and
compare.

Dave