timecode and batch capturing using premiere pro

I think I've read somewhere that to use batch capturing in premiere pro,
the source tape must have continuous timecode...is this true?

I'd much prefer to use in/out points to tell pp the clips i'd like to
capture across the tape, as opposed to the manual capture using the
record button on the capture window. However, whenever i try to use
batch capturing, i set the in/out points of the first clip (as a test),
start the batch, the tape winds up then stops, and pp immediately tells
me that no frames were captured. Pretty frustrating. Could this be
happening because of the jumpy timecode from clip to clip (order on tape
= soccer game 1 for ~10 minutes; next recording on the tape = soccer
game 2 with new timecode....).

On a side note, would a specialty capture program like Scenalyzer handle
jumpy timecode better?

For those of us who are non-professionals, should we be prerecording
blank video (black, with the lens cap on???) on every single new tape,
kinda like formatting a disk? Given that it's digital media (minidv),
that shouldn't hurt the quality of the "real" recordings, correct?

Thanks!
Gary

"GS" wrote ...
> I think I've read somewhere that to use batch capturing in
> premiere pro, the source tape must have continuous
> timecode...is this true?

Appears to depend on HOW non-continuous your timecode is,
and what equipment (camcorder/VCR) you are using. I have
seen (many times) Premiere 6.0 thrash my Sony DSR-20s back
and forth for as long as I can stand to watch it without ever
finding the in-point. Others have never experienced this and
think we are stark raving mad.

> I'd much prefer to use in/out points to tell pp the clips i'd
> like to capture across the tape, as opposed to the manual
> capture using the record button on the capture window.
> However, whenever i try to use batch capturing, i set the
> in/out points of the first clip (as a test), start the batch, the
> tape winds up then stops, and pp immediately tells me that
> no frames were captured. Pretty frustrating. Could this be
> happening because of the jumpy timecode from clip to clip
> (order on tape = soccer game 1 for ~10 minutes; next
> recording on the tape = soccer game 2 with new timecode....).

Most certainly.

> On a side note, would a specialty capture program like
> Scenalyzer handle jumpy timecode better?

Yes, Scenalyzer is a brilliant (both effective and inexpensive)
solution for capturing from tapes with dis-continuous timecode.

> For those of us who are non-professionals, should we be
> prerecording blank video (black, with the lens cap on???)
> on every single new tape, kinda like formatting a disk?

"Blacking" or "striping" tape is a very controversial topic here.
Many fervently believe that you should be conscientious enough
to carefully cue up your tape in the camcorder before starting each
shot so that you will have continuous timecode. Of course if it is
others that are shooting and they barely remember where the power
switch is, this seems wildly impractical.

One solution is to pre-write contiguous timecode on each tape
before shooting with it. You will hear cogent-sounding arguments
about how this doesn't work or doesnt solve the problem, but my
reality does not conform to their theory.

If you don't care about having contiguous numbers in your
index, the best solution would likely be to continue shooting
with blank tapes and use Scenalyzer for batch capture.

OTOH, if you are creating libraries of video clips, having to
explain over and over to others how it is possible for there to
be seven clips on the same tape that all start at 00:00:00:00
will drive you crazy. If you are shooting and editing yourself,
just use Scenalyzer and move on with your life.

> Given that it's digital media (minidv), that shouldn't hurt the
> quality of the "real" recordings, correct?

Correct. *BUT* if you think about it, striping your tapes
cuts the lifetime of your equipment by at least 50% (because
you are putting the same wear on the heads, transport, etc.
doing the striping/blacking as you would be if you were recording
something productive.)

Rich

"GS" <bobogsemel@yahoo.com> wrote in message
<snip>

> For those of us who are non-professionals, should we be prerecording
> blank video (black, with the lens cap on???) on every single new tape,
> kinda like formatting a disk? Given that it's digital media (minidv),
> that shouldn't hurt the quality of the "real" recordings, correct?
>
> Thanks!
> Gary

I've heard arguments on prerecording blank video for years and I don't do
it. Most of the arguments seem to be against it. I have asked two
professionals about it and they said no. The points I believe are valid is
you are unnecessarily adding wear on your camera and those cameras that seek
the end of the last clip will never find the end. Sony calls it "End Search
Function", I forget what Canon calls it. I've been in a habit of recording
about 5 seconds before and end of clips with the lenscap on and the date
title on between segments or when shutting off or changing tapes. Habit
from the analog days, makes it easy for me to find beginning and end when
editing.

Rich
An Old Non-Professional