Avi Files no longer play

May 20, 2005 6:46:09 PM

Hi, I am using a Sony Handycam TRV 22E and can transfer files(avi) to my
computer using several programs, like Roxio Capture, Microsoft Movie Maker,
Sony Image Transfer, Nero, and Power Producer. I have used them all until
lately but now things have gone haywire, the main problem being the file
format is not recognised. This is the message Windows Media Player displays
if I double click on a file I've just transferred.
The only thing I can think of that has changed recently is that I installed
Microsoft Office 3 after accidently removing my original Office XP.
My handy-cam is useless at the moment as I can't transfer to my computer.
Can anybody help or point me in the right direction. Thanks, Al.

More about : avi files longer play

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 11:01:36 PM

It's likely that somehow you've lost a codec. AVI files are compressed and
need a codec in order to be able to play.

Try the DIVX codec... it's the most common.
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

!