DVD audio not working

I have a problem with some purchased EMI DVDs. They are able to play
on my DVD drive (on my computer), but I don't hear any audio. The DVD
drive information says that the audio is PCM, and I recall that DVD
audio is supposed to be ac3.

Funnily these DVDs will play perfectly on my DVD player, just not in
my computer. I'm using InterVideo WinDVD4. Is there any software that
will allow me to play DVDs with PCM audio? Or is there a way to
convert it to a format which will make it playable?
Other DVDs (with ac3 audio) play without any problem.

On 5 Jun 2004 00:18:35 -0700, greglee@umich.edu (Gregory
Lee) wrote:

>I have a problem with some purchased EMI DVDs. They are able to play
>on my DVD drive (on my computer), but I don't hear any audio. The DVD
>drive information says that the audio is PCM, and I recall that DVD
>audio is supposed to be ac3.
>
>Funnily these DVDs will play perfectly on my DVD player, just not in
>my computer. I'm using InterVideo WinDVD4. Is there any software that
>will allow me to play DVDs with PCM audio? Or is there a way to
>convert it to a format which will make it playable?
>Other DVDs (with ac3 audio) play without any problem.

ac3, mp2, DTS and PCM are all valid DVD audio formats. It's
strange your software does not work. You can try Media
Player Classic or Video Lan Client for alternate DVD
software.

HTH
Slippery

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 06:45:13 GMT, slippery <slippery@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>On 5 Jun 2004 00:18:35 -0700, greglee@umich.edu (Gregory
>Lee) wrote:
>
>>I have a problem with some purchased EMI DVDs. They are able to play
>>on my DVD drive (on my computer), but I don't hear any audio. The DVD
>>drive information says that the audio is PCM, and I recall that DVD
>>audio is supposed to be ac3.
>>
>>Funnily these DVDs will play perfectly on my DVD player, just not in
>>my computer. I'm using InterVideo WinDVD4. Is there any software that
>>will allow me to play DVDs with PCM audio? Or is there a way to
>>convert it to a format which will make it playable?
>>Other DVDs (with ac3 audio) play without any problem.

>ac3, mp2, DTS and PCM are all valid DVD audio formats.

However, for NTSC players, MP2 (MPEG Layer 2 audio) and DTS are
optional (secondary) formats. No player is required to play them,
every DVD is required to have alternate tracks in one of the "primary"
formats.

Which doesn't begin to suggest why LPCM-encoded audio would be a
problem. Or WinDVD... not sure about V4, but V3 has definitely worked
with LPCM on my own discs (I used to use LPCM before I had an AC3
encoder).

Dave Haynie | Chief Toady, Frog Pond Media Consulting
dhaynie@jersey.net| Take Back Freedom! Bush no more in 2004!
"Deathbed Vigil" now on DVD! See http://www.frogpondmedia.com