Help.... 300 dollar max to spend on digital camera

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 10, 2004 2:53:46 AM

what is the best digital camera (quality-wise and battery life) would u
recommend under 300 bucks?

thanks,

rob
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 3:39:26 PM

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 23:53:46 GMT, "Robert Jackson"
<rabramson1@si.rr.com> wrote:

>what is the best digital camera (quality-wise and battery life) would u
>recommend under 300 bucks?
>
>thanks,
>
>rob

Man thats tough right now cause there are tons of ongoing sales now
with Xmas closing in. It would be a virtual week by week things.

In the past people would say Canon a lot because they produced good
pics and had some manual controls . However I did see a few people
posting on Amazon about certain problems people have with some Canons
which they were pissed about but then you see that with a vareity of
cameras since digital cameras can be fragile.

Imaging resource has the most straight forward picks in each category
http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM?view=range2

Then look at the same site for the full detailed review
http://www.imaging-resource.com/INDEX.HTM

They mention the Canon A85 under 300 as well as others.
If you want a big zoom - theres the oly 740 they mention actually
these are being discounted as I mentioned so you might get a much
better oly big zoom for cheap. I got the 750 for 199 a while ago 10x
optical zoom.

The avg camera has 3x optical zoom around there. It all depends on
taste too. You might not need big zooms and some like soapbar , small
point and shoot cameras where others want more manual controls.

They also mention the C-5000 olympus - Ive got the 4040 and and Olys
in the past have been particularly good at least this series , at
lowlight pics which many lower and mid range digi cams werent good at.
They tend to be a bit bulkier than the soapbar cameras that you can
fit inyour pants jacket pocket but not quite as big in the lens area
as the big zooms.

I also bought an Oly soapbar camera for my father and one thing about
the OLYs they use XD cards which tend to be much more expensive than
the SD and compact flash cards which sell often for peanuts now with
rebates. THe xds are finally coming down a bit but still much more
expensive.

So you have some you can add stuff onto - lenses, flash units and
others you cant - namely all of the soapbar type point and shoot
cameras . Some are better than others at low light shots etc .

You can see additional tests at www.megapixel.net

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php
http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
http://www.dpreview.com/
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 3:40:05 PM

<rabramson1@si.rr.com> wrote:

>what is the best digital camera (quality-wise and battery life) would u
>recommend under 300 bucks?
>
>thanks,
>
>rob

Oh yeah the Nikon 3 megs are selling for pretty cheap, I think some
posts mentioned 199 with rebates or online discounts.
December 10, 2004 10:28:56 PM

I don't know, but to collect reviews check dpreview.com and dcresource.com
Richardf
"Robert Jackson" <rabramson1@si.rr.com> wrote in message
> what is the best digital camera (quality-wise and battery life) would u
> recommend under 300 bucks?
>
> thanks,
>
> rob

Anonymous
December 11, 2004 6:00:00 AM

thx for ur input guys
"John@Smith.com" <xxxxspud@newscene.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 23:53:46 GMT, "Robert Jackson"
> <rabramson1@si.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>what is the best digital camera (quality-wise and battery life) would u
>>recommend under 300 bucks?
>>
>>thanks,
>>
>>rob
>
> Man thats tough right now cause there are tons of ongoing sales now
> with Xmas closing in. It would be a virtual week by week things.
>
> In the past people would say Canon a lot because they produced good
> pics and had some manual controls . However I did see a few people
> posting on Amazon about certain problems people have with some Canons
> which they were pissed about but then you see that with a vareity of
> cameras since digital cameras can be fragile.
>

> Imaging resource has the most straight forward picks in each category
> http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM?view=range2
>
> Then look at the same site for the full detailed review
> http://www.imaging-resource.com/INDEX.HTM
>
> They mention the Canon A85 under 300 as well as others.
> If you want a big zoom - theres the oly 740 they mention actually
> these are being discounted as I mentioned so you might get a much
> better oly big zoom for cheap. I got the 750 for 199 a while ago 10x
> optical zoom.
>
> The avg camera has 3x optical zoom around there. It all depends on
> taste too. You might not need big zooms and some like soapbar , small
> point and shoot cameras where others want more manual controls.
>
> They also mention the C-5000 olympus - Ive got the 4040 and and Olys
> in the past have been particularly good at least this series , at
> lowlight pics which many lower and mid range digi cams werent good at.
> They tend to be a bit bulkier than the soapbar cameras that you can
> fit inyour pants jacket pocket but not quite as big in the lens area
> as the big zooms.
>
> I also bought an Oly soapbar camera for my father and one thing about
> the OLYs they use XD cards which tend to be much more expensive than
> the SD and compact flash cards which sell often for peanuts now with
> rebates. THe xds are finally coming down a bit but still much more
> expensive.
>
> So you have some you can add stuff onto - lenses, flash units and
> others you cant - namely all of the soapbar type point and shoot
> cameras . Some are better than others at low light shots etc .
>

> You can see additional tests at www.megapixel.net
>
> http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php
> http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
> http://www.dpreview.com/

Anonymous
December 12, 2004 12:14:54 PM

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 03:00:00 GMT, "Robert Jackson"
<rabramson1@si.rr.com> wrote:

>thx for ur input guys

Heres an example of a Xmas sale - I just scored yet another camera
Olympus 580 for $99 4 megs. The avg price is $200+ right now.

They are on clearance at Office Depot and I used several coupons.
Actually I got it for $69 since I had a Office Advantage $30 card from
my 3 camera purchases 3 months ago. It wasnt even for me. I bought it
for a neighbor , a single mother. Didnt profit a dime. I was just
looking today and though that was just too good a deal to pass up. She
already paid me for it.

I also got 15% off a printer too if you buy a camera but she weirdly
bought a printer today by coincidence after whining about not having a
printer for 3 months. So Im talking that one back. But she would have
saved a fair amount on that one too.

These will be difficult to get cause the dealhounds have already
descended like locusts on many Office depots. The clearance price
right now is $124 w/o coupons buts its limted to stock on hand.
!