Help.... 300 dollar max to spend on digital camera

what is the best digital camera (quality-wise and battery life) would u
recommend under 300 bucks?

thanks,

rob
5 answers Last reply
More about help dollar spend digital camera

    On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 23:53:46 GMT, "Robert Jackson"
    <rabramson1@si.rr.com> wrote:

    >what is the best digital camera (quality-wise and battery life) would u
    >recommend under 300 bucks?
    >
    >thanks,
    >
    >rob

    Man thats tough right now cause there are tons of ongoing sales now
    with Xmas closing in. It would be a virtual week by week things.

    In the past people would say Canon a lot because they produced good
    pics and had some manual controls . However I did see a few people
    posting on Amazon about certain problems people have with some Canons
    which they were pissed about but then you see that with a vareity of
    cameras since digital cameras can be fragile.

    Imaging resource has the most straight forward picks in each category
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM?view=range2

    Then look at the same site for the full detailed review
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/INDEX.HTM

    They mention the Canon A85 under 300 as well as others.
    If you want a big zoom - theres the oly 740 they mention actually
    these are being discounted as I mentioned so you might get a much
    better oly big zoom for cheap. I got the 750 for 199 a while ago 10x
    optical zoom.

    The avg camera has 3x optical zoom around there. It all depends on
    taste too. You might not need big zooms and some like soapbar , small
    point and shoot cameras where others want more manual controls.

    They also mention the C-5000 olympus - Ive got the 4040 and and Olys
    in the past have been particularly good at least this series , at
    lowlight pics which many lower and mid range digi cams werent good at.
    They tend to be a bit bulkier than the soapbar cameras that you can
    fit inyour pants jacket pocket but not quite as big in the lens area
    as the big zooms.

    I also bought an Oly soapbar camera for my father and one thing about
    the OLYs they use XD cards which tend to be much more expensive than
    the SD and compact flash cards which sell often for peanuts now with
    rebates. THe xds are finally coming down a bit but still much more
    expensive.

    So you have some you can add stuff onto - lenses, flash units and
    others you cant - namely all of the soapbar type point and shoot
    cameras . Some are better than others at low light shots etc .

    You can see additional tests at www.megapixel.net

    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
    http://www.dpreview.com/

    <rabramson1@si.rr.com> wrote:

    >what is the best digital camera (quality-wise and battery life) would u
    >recommend under 300 bucks?
    >
    >thanks,
    >
    >rob

    Oh yeah the Nikon 3 megs are selling for pretty cheap, I think some
    posts mentioned 199 with rebates or online discounts.

    I don't know, but to collect reviews check dpreview.com and dcresource.com
    Richardf
    "Robert Jackson" <rabramson1@si.rr.com> wrote in message
    > what is the best digital camera (quality-wise and battery life) would u
    > recommend under 300 bucks?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > rob

    thx for ur input guys
    "John@Smith.com" <xxxxspud@newscene.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 23:53:46 GMT, "Robert Jackson"
    > <rabramson1@si.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    >>what is the best digital camera (quality-wise and battery life) would u
    >>recommend under 300 bucks?
    >>
    >>thanks,
    >>
    >>rob
    >
    > Man thats tough right now cause there are tons of ongoing sales now
    > with Xmas closing in. It would be a virtual week by week things.
    >
    > In the past people would say Canon a lot because they produced good
    > pics and had some manual controls . However I did see a few people
    > posting on Amazon about certain problems people have with some Canons
    > which they were pissed about but then you see that with a vareity of
    > cameras since digital cameras can be fragile.
    >

    > Imaging resource has the most straight forward picks in each category
    > http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM?view=range2
    >
    > Then look at the same site for the full detailed review
    > http://www.imaging-resource.com/INDEX.HTM
    >
    > They mention the Canon A85 under 300 as well as others.
    > If you want a big zoom - theres the oly 740 they mention actually
    > these are being discounted as I mentioned so you might get a much
    > better oly big zoom for cheap. I got the 750 for 199 a while ago 10x
    > optical zoom.
    >
    > The avg camera has 3x optical zoom around there. It all depends on
    > taste too. You might not need big zooms and some like soapbar , small
    > point and shoot cameras where others want more manual controls.
    >
    > They also mention the C-5000 olympus - Ive got the 4040 and and Olys
    > in the past have been particularly good at least this series , at
    > lowlight pics which many lower and mid range digi cams werent good at.
    > They tend to be a bit bulkier than the soapbar cameras that you can
    > fit inyour pants jacket pocket but not quite as big in the lens area
    > as the big zooms.
    >
    > I also bought an Oly soapbar camera for my father and one thing about
    > the OLYs they use XD cards which tend to be much more expensive than
    > the SD and compact flash cards which sell often for peanuts now with
    > rebates. THe xds are finally coming down a bit but still much more
    > expensive.
    >
    > So you have some you can add stuff onto - lenses, flash units and
    > others you cant - namely all of the soapbar type point and shoot
    > cameras . Some are better than others at low light shots etc .
    >

    > You can see additional tests at www.megapixel.net
    >
    > http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php
    > http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
    > http://www.dpreview.com/

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 03:00:00 GMT, "Robert Jackson"
    <rabramson1@si.rr.com> wrote:

    >thx for ur input guys

    Heres an example of a Xmas sale - I just scored yet another camera
    Olympus 580 for $99 4 megs. The avg price is $200+ right now.

    They are on clearance at Office Depot and I used several coupons.
    Actually I got it for $69 since I had a Office Advantage $30 card from
    my 3 camera purchases 3 months ago. It wasnt even for me. I bought it
    for a neighbor , a single mother. Didnt profit a dime. I was just
    looking today and though that was just too good a deal to pass up. She
    already paid me for it.

    I also got 15% off a printer too if you buy a camera but she weirdly
    bought a printer today by coincidence after whining about not having a
    printer for 3 months. So Im talking that one back. But she would have
    saved a fair amount on that one too.

    These will be difficult to get cause the dealhounds have already
    descended like locusts on many Office depots. The clearance price
    right now is $124 w/o coupons buts its limted to stock on hand.

Cameras Battery Peripherals