Wireless security

Hi! I'm sharing a house with 4 other people and I have just set up a wireless
network for broadband usng a router. How do I make our connection secure so
that noone else can use it? We are all running on XP home apart for one on
98SE (I know! He likes it!) I can't find the answer in windows help and we
are all a bit stumped.
Thanks

At a minimum, you should setup your access point (the wireless portion of
the router in your case) to use either WEP or WPA. Check out the
documentation. You might also consider using MAC address filtering, but
that is not really secure. It will keep off the casual user though. WPA is
better than WEP. If using WPA, you would use WPA-PSK for a pre-shared key.

Jeff

"holyvic" <holyvic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi! I'm sharing a house with 4 other people and I have just set up a
> wireless
> network for broadband usng a router. How do I make our connection secure
> so
> that noone else can use it? We are all running on XP home apart for one on
> 98SE (I know! He likes it!) I can't find the answer in windows help and we
> are all a bit stumped.
> Thanks

Jack

Distinguished