Movie Maker 2 suddenly gone very slow???

winny

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2004

Hi all,

I'm making my first video. It's over an hour long. My pc has more than
enough speed and memory, and editing the project was fine until
recently. Even when the project was 1.5 hours long things were ok, but
now it's edited down to about 1 hr 6 mins and I'm putting in a few
transitions and titles it has suddenly slowed down. Several minutes
for a simple process, like jumping to another part of the video. The
CPU runs at about 45 to 55% when playing the video, but when moving to
a new point, or say trying to 'rewind' the CPU goes to 100% for 0.5 to
1 minute before it drops back down and the task is performed.

Why all that time thinking about it before doing it?

I haven't got anything else running.

Thanks for any help!

--Winny

> I'm making my first video. It's over an hour long. My pc has more than
> enough speed and memory, and editing the project was fine until
> recently. Even when the project was 1.5 hours long things were ok, but
> now it's edited down to about 1 hr 6 mins and I'm putting in a few
> transitions and titles it has suddenly slowed down. Several minutes
> for a simple process, like jumping to another part of the video. The
> CPU runs at about 45 to 55% when playing the video, but when moving to
> a new point, or say trying to 'rewind' the CPU goes to 100% for 0.5 to
> 1 minute before it drops back down and the task is performed.

Defragged your hard drive(s) lately?
Cleaned out the un-needed files?

"Winny" <andrewwinn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I'm making my first video. It's over an hour long. My pc has more than
> enough speed and memory, and editing the project was fine until
> recently. Even when the project was 1.5 hours long things were ok, but
> now it's edited down to about 1 hr 6 mins and I'm putting in a few
> transitions and titles it has suddenly slowed down. Several minutes
> for a simple process, like jumping to another part of the video. The
> CPU runs at about 45 to 55% when playing the video, but when moving to
> a new point, or say trying to 'rewind' the CPU goes to 100% for 0.5 to
> 1 minute before it drops back down and the task is performed.
>
> Why all that time thinking about it before doing it?
>
> I haven't got anything else running.
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> --Winny

Update and scan for viruses. Some of the new ones
do NOT require you to open an email attachment to
infect you as in the past.

winny

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2004

Thanks very much for the replies, though hopefully now I've fixed the
problem.

I split my project into 4 parts, and all seems to be well working with
these smaller files, and I can join them together when I'm finished.
I'm not sure why the problems only started recently, maybe adding the
transitions pushed it beyond it's preferred project complexity?

Cheers.

--Winny